• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wine Case from the CSJ in aid of Miraz Appeal

For those in the UK the Confraternity of St James have launched a Camino Wine Case in aid of the refugio in Miraz.

Camino Wine Box
Autumn/Winter 2007
£93.00

The box contains two bottles of each wine selected from vineyards along the Camino Frances. 10% of the price will be donated by wine merchants Laymont and Shaw of Truro to the Confraternity of St James for the Refugio at Miraz appeal. Ring 01872 270545 and ask for the Camino Wine Box.

Navarra
Although Navarra includes a slice of the Rioja wine region it has become known for its own eponymous DO. Thanks to a more open less protectionist attitude than that shown by its neighbour, Navarra has surged ahead with a policy of planting ‘international’ grape varieties.

Senorio de Sarria S.A., Puente la Reina
The first international vineyard on the Camino. One of the most beautiful bodegas in Navarra with a growing reputation for wines named after a specific vineyard area on the estate.
Red Vinedo No 7 Graciano 2001/02
Fragrant plumy fruit with distinctive varietal character.

Bodegas Castillo de Monjardin S.A., Villamayor
This impressive bodega sits smack on the route to Santiago and forms part of an elegant complex containing a superb restaurant, tasting suite and shop. The surrounding vineyards are planted with Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Tempranillo.
Red Tinto Reserva 2000
A very nicely structured Cabernet Sauvignon / Tempranillo blend.

Rioja
Right on the Camino Frances sits the province of La Rioja and its vineyards are the most famous on the route.

Bodegas Sonsierra S.Coop., La Rioja
A lively young enterprise lying on the north bank of the river Ebro
White Sonsierra Blanco 2006
Lemony fresh; very dry, crisp and flavoursome. Blissfully free from oak.

Leon
The harsh remote plains of the meseta in Leon have little to offer the oenophile other than a grape variety unknown elsewhere – Prieto Picudo, which produces wine with pungent, ripe red berry aromas.

Gordonzello S.A., Gordoncillo
Rose Peregrino Rosado 2006
One of the best of the new wave of Rosado wines. Bright, deep pink colour with an agreeable floral aroma and ripe raspberry flavours.

Bierzo
The Bierzo region on the boundary between the kingdom of Leon and Galicia is on one of the prettiest sections of the Camino between Ponferrada and Villafranca and you pass plenty of vineyards on the path. The wines tend to fall between the light wines of Galicia and the robust reds of the Duero.

Descendientes de J Palacios S.L., Villafranca del Bierzo
Alvaro Palacios, who made his name in Priorat, has joined his nephew Ricardo Perez in a highly successful attempt to make fine wine from the Mencia grape.
Red Petalos del Bierzo 2005
Dark coloured, with hints of eucalyptus on the nose. Very good fruit within a fine complex structure.

Ria Baixas
The vineyards of the Rias Baixas on the Camino Portugese in Galicia extend southwards from Santiago de Compostela to the river Mino. The vines are often trained on pergolas so that the bunches of fruit are protected by their own leaves during the summer. The local grape is the Albarino, which produces a crisp, fresh and fragrant wine.

Lagar de Fornelos S. L., O Rosal
The Lagar de Fornelos estate has been owned by Rioja producer La Rioja Alta since 1988 and occupies a prime south facing position just inland from the Atlantic.
White Lagar de Cevera 2006
Intese aroma of peaches, apricots and greengages. Wonderfully refreshing acidity gives good structure. Delicious.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
more than it's worth once you consider the duty. You can purchase the same wines in the USA for much less so why bother.

Adkins, it is a fundraiser after all. The Confraternity of St James in the UK is trying to raise some urgent funds for the refugio at Miraz. Which reminds me, I should go online and donate a little....
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
KiwiNomad06 said:
Adkins, it is a fundraiser after all. The Confraternity of St James in the UK ....
Margaret

Hi M

I believe the CSJ is completely open, but do you happen to know if the Confraternity sees itself as an English or UK organisation?

:arrow:

Caminando....... I am an Antipodean..... so I don't really know much at all about anything based in London. (The only time I was briefly there I tried to see the changing of the guard but it rained and it was cancelled!) But certainly the CSJ albergue in Rabanal del Camino, as well as the refugio in Miraz, are open to all comers of whatever nationality.
I am sure there are many people like Johnnie Walker and William Marques who know the answer to your question though :eek:

Margaret

KiwiNomad06 said:
Caminando....... I am an Antipodean..... so I don't really know much at all about anything based in London. (The only time I was briefly there I tried to see the changing of the guard but it rained and it was cancelled!) But certainly the CSJ albergue in Rabanal del Camino, as well as the refugio in Miraz, are open to all comers of whatever nationality.
I am sure there are many people like Johnnie Walker and William Marques who know the answer to your question though :eek:

Margaret

Tha
Caminando said:
KiwiNomad06 said:
Adkins, it is a fundraiser after all. The Confraternity of St James in the UK ....
Margaret

Thanks M
I was only curious...Ta! :) :arrow: As I said, I know it's fully open..... :)

I believe the CSJ is completely open, but do you happen to know if the Confraternity sees itself as an English or UK organisation?

:arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is generally against the law to ship wine in the United States, so purchases from overseas can be confiscated by the Customs folks.

The CSJ is the oldest English speaking confraternity and its membership is open to all anywhere in the world. The reality is I believe that its 2000 members are mainly from the UK with some others from Europe and Australia.

I´ve gotta disagree with their assertion that Prieto Picudo is the only thing worthwhile coming out of Leon´s wineries... it´s certainly the Latest European Buzz, but I´d encourage the wine merchant to get his tukas over here and actually taste the Mencia and Tempranillo reds, and the Cigales rosés, and stop letting the Marketing Dept. write his descriptions of Leonese wine. Their ignorance is on open display!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please don't get over excited-this was an old post from 2007 which was resurrected by a relatively new poster!

The description of the wines came from the supplier, not from CSJ.

Marion said:
Please don't get over excited-this was an old post from 2007 which was resurrected by a relatively new poster!

The description of the wines came from the supplier, not from CSJ.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...... yes I see that now!!!!!
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well... Reb´s got a bodega cave. Not a lot of Prieto Picudo in there, I fear. But yeah, we do got the good stuff, and we know how to share!

See you all next time you show up.
Reb.

I can testify directly, even if only with a slightly blurred memory, to the excellence of the cellars of Moratinos and to the generosity of the inhabitants.

Of the selection, I can also testify that the Senorio de Sarria is excellent value-- it has oft been dispensed to speakers at Canadian pilgrimage meetings as their honorarium-- and I have positive memories of the Petalos de Bierzo, a bottle of which was consumed at a café on the Calle Gen. Lacey in Madrid. Rebekah is correct in suggesting that Spanish wines are best consumed on site-- I am in touch with a wine writer who is preparing an article on the wines of the Camino, and will alert readers to it on publication sometime next year.

Pilgrims might recall that, on the way into Villafranca de Bierzo, passing by the Nogueira sculpture garden, the vines on one's left. These produce the smooth and delicious Luna Beberide, and I was assured by one of the workers in the field that they did not use grapes from the vines closest to the trail without washing them first (!).

Canada Post prohibits private importation of wine, sadly, but one is always able to call the shipper and have them send the Camino case to one of your UK friends, just in time for Xmas. This is, we shd remember, a fundraising effort for a worthy cause.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
oursonpolaire said:
Canada Post prohibits private importation of wine, sadly, but one is always able to call the shipper and have them send the Camino case to one of your UK friends, just in time for Xmas. This is, we shd remember, a fundraising effort for a worthy cause.

Ourson.... great post......but just want to point out that Marion came into the thread to point out that the original post about this fundraiser was from 2007.....
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back