• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wine Caves Porto

efdoucette

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
Since 2011 - too many to list
I think they are referred to as Wine Caves. Anyone have advice on a preferred Winery to tour?
Regards

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think they are referred to as Wine Caves. Anyone have advice on a preferred Winery to tour?
Regards
Port Lodges usually. If Calem are still open, it’s a generally unknown but very good NV port. When you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all - but worthwhile finishing the day in here: https://www.ivdp.pt/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The tours are fine but they are all trying to sell their large production ports. If you are more interested in tasting ports of better quality and some from small producers, book a tasting at a small wine shop in the center of town. It’s Touriga Wine Shop. They only have a couple of tables in the back but the ports were so much better than the tours.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All of the port wine places are on the other side of the river, in Gaia. I have walked up and down and just picked out the places that looked the most inviting, but I am sure @Susan Peacock is right that these are just the large production places. But on one of my visits, I was with my parents, and it was more of a tourist thing than a serious wine-hunting thing.

And a totally unsolicited suggestion. The port wine places are all down at river´s edge. The spectacular view back over the river to Porto’s river area is from up high, not down low. Make a point of walking up to the Jardim do Morro, where you will have that unmatchable view. You can then walk across the upper level of the bridge to get back to Porto (close to the cathedral) or you can take the tram.

Port Lodges usually. If Calem are still open, it’s a generally unknown but very good NV port. When you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all - but worthwhile finishing the day in here: https://www.ivdp.pt/
Calem used to do a Port tasting and Fado concert, Calem is also one of the few Port producers that is locally owned. Most of the other producers are either English/Irish.
The Fado event was really good and is easier on the ear compared to Canto Jondo.

We visited the Cockburns port lodge. It is the only one still in family ownership (so we were told). They still make the barrels on site too which is fascinating to watch and learn about. A visit to the toilet is recommended if you remember the 1970s Cockburns ads on uk tv. V. Amusing to see them being replayed

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All of the port wine places are on the other side of the river, in Gaia. I have walked up and down and just picked out the places that looked the most inviting, but I am sure @Susan Peacock is right that these are just the large production places. But on one of my visits, I was with my parents, and it was more of a tourist thing than a serious wine-hunting thing.

And a totally unsolicited suggestion. The port wine places are all down at river´s edge. The spectacular view back over the river to Porto’s river area is from up high, not down low. Make a point of walking up to the Jardim do Morro, where you will have that unmatchable view. You can then walk across the upper level of the bridge to get back to Porto (close to the cathedral) or you can take the tram.
Or go to winehouse Cruz in Gaia , take the lift to the upper floor and overview the Porto skyline and the Douro river with a glass of cooled white vinho do Porto.cheers !

Or go to winehouse Cruz in Gaia , take the lift to the upper floor and overview the Porto skyline and the Douro river with a glass of cooled white vinho do Porto.cheers !
X2 on the white port! Not really an ordinary-red-port fan, but white port, which I hadn't had before, is very refreshing as an aperitif. Not so sweet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’ll 3x the white port tonic. I’ve gotten quite a few people hooked on it down here in NZ

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back