• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Restrictions and the Wine Fountain on Camino Frances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
camino Frances 5/2022
Hi I am starting my Camino Frances from Pamploma April 7!!! I am wondering if the wine fountain is still open with COVID restrictions.
Also is the free compestella that you get from the guides on Ivar’s website valid? I just read there are also 2 types and I would not be doing the walk for religious reasons.
I’m a little nervous about walking in Easter time too- hope I don’t get stuck without a place to stay. I should be around hontanas that Monday. Appreciate any advice!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
God knows I’d not picky about my drink, but if I were in charge of refilling a fountain for all and sundry to access it wouldn’t be the premier cru which I poured in. Add to that the oxidisation which even the most basic wine suffers when decanted, the recycling past previous unknown consumers et al and you should approach the fountain with a degree of trepidation. I’ve only ever regarded the experience as a photo opportunity and little more.

Also is the free compestella that you get from the guides on Ivar’s website valid? I just read there are also 2 types and I would not be doing the walk for religious reasons.
You are confusing the Compostela with the Credential (aka pilgrim passport). Ivar offers the Credential in his shop.

The Compostela is the certificate that you receive when you complete your Camino when you are walking for religious or spiritual reasons. If you are walking for other reasons then you can receive a certificate of welcome. Both are beautiful, and will have your name on them.

In order to receive either you must present your Credential with daily stamps showing completion of at least the last 100 km by foot, or the last 200 km biking at the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As for the wine, only a limited amount is available each day, it's not endless.

For that reason I was disappointed to see people filling their water bottles with the wine.

Then again, perhaps they did think it was bottomless and pilgrims arriving later in the day would benefit too.

I can confirm the wine fountain is operating! Or at least it was a few weeks ago when I spent a week on the Camino Frances. It's gated, but the gates are open 8:00-20:00 each day. They offer 100L of wine per day and there are signs asking that you just take a small amount. I was there at 9:00 in the morning so just had a small taste and took a photo :)

And to be clear, it’s actually a wine spigot, the “fountain” word being used like in “drinking fountain” versus a fountain in the park, ducks floating around in it, kids pushing around small
boats with sticks, etc. 😂. Now THAT would make an excellent photo!!!!!

The wine is good, like all Spanish wine, and a thoughtful gift to passing pilgrims. Like all free gifts, one shouldn’t take more than their share as others will pass by later who are equally deserving of a rest and a small drink. We passed by it late in the day in early May (2018) and there was plenty left for everyone.

It did close at the start of Covid, simply because EVERYTHING in Spain closed - the winery, the Camino, everything! Folks couldn’t even leave their houses without valid reason (and free wine at the tap wasn’t one…🙄). It had reopened as restrictions eased, reclosed as a new wave hit, then opened again, but 2022 is a new year.

In short, like most of the Camino, let it be a nice surprise when you pass by!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
God knows I’d not picky about my drink, but if I were in charge of refilling a fountain for all and sundry to access it wouldn’t be the premier cru which I poured in. Add to that the oxidisation which even the most basic wine suffers when decanted, the recycling past previous unknown consumers et al and you should approach the fountain with a degree of trepidation. I’ve only ever regarded the experience as a photo opportunity and little more.
I could stay there for days. Thank you, Camino! Always providing.

Last edited:
I could stay there for days. Thank you, Camino! Always providing.
I was lucky enough to be able to sample in October 2020, but the fact that it was a hot day and I was near the beginning of my day's walk prevented any inclination to over imbibe. What a wonderful gesture though (and great publicity opportunity) for the wine company.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For Easter, it would probably be a good idea to reserve although I don't know if Hontannas is an Easter "hot spot". Spaniards often take holidays to walk the Camino in stretches. I would think after Easter week it would be less crowded though.

Hi I am starting my Camino Frances from Pamploma April 7!!! I am wondering if the wine fountain is still open with COVID restrictions.
I’m a little nervous about walking in Easter time too- hope I don’t get stuck without a place to stay. I should be around hontanas that Monday. Appreciate any advice!!
I was there in late November - I brushed my teeth at the wine fountain. Long story. I'm not a big fan of their wine, but the water is fantastic.

Somewhere I read the proper etiquette at this fountain is to remove your shell from your pack and take a (small) drink with that. I rinsed off the dust first with the water spigot. (Glad nobody was washing their teeth at the time.) That was plenty of wine for me before 9 am last October. Delicioso. Muchas gracias, Irache Winery. Buen Camino

I was lucky enough to be able to sample in October 2020, but the fact that it was a hot day and I was near the beginning of my day's walk prevented any inclination to over imbibe. What a wonderful gesture though (and great publicity opportunity) for the wine company.

Somewhere I read the proper etiquette at this fountain is to remove your shell from your pack and take a (small) drink with that. I rinsed off the dust first with the water spigot. (Glad nobody was washing their teeth at the time.) That was plenty of wine for me before 9 am last October. Delicioso. Muchas gracias, Irache Winery. Buen Camino
I, too, enjoyed the wine fountain. I checked my photos and see I was there around 9:30 am on Oct 26 last year. Might I have rubbed elbows with either of you two? The wine fountain is one of the many wonderful sights along the Camino. Kudos to the winery for continuing the fountain despite the costs incurred. It's incumbent on all pilgrims to show restraint and respect when enjoying the wine fountain and every other site they encounter. It was such a pleasure and honor to walk in the footsteps of the millions of pilgrims who preceded me over the centuries. I hope to walk it again one day and pray that places such as the wine fountain continue to exist.
Buen Camino,
Bob91

Here is a link to their webcam. You can text your friends at home while you are there and they can watch you have a sip!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
God knows I’d not picky about my drink, but if I were in charge of refilling a fountain for all and sundry to access it wouldn’t be the premier cru which I poured in. Add to that the oxidisation which even the most basic wine suffers when decanted, the recycling past previous unknown consumers et al and you should approach the fountain with a degree of trepidation. I’ve only ever regarded the experience as a photo opportunity and little mor

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Somewhere I read the proper etiquette at this fountain is to remove your shell from your pack and take a (small) drink with that.
The older custom was that pilgrims received their shell in Santiago to mark the end of their journey. So newbies walking without shells would have to pass by leaving the wine for repeat offenders. Sounds like a fine rule to me :cool:

I stopped back at the wine fountain after completing the CF in June 2022. I wanted to purchase something from the black smith shop at the bottom of the hill before you get to the wine fountain. The owner of the wine fountain gave my daughters a tour and was very gracious. We purchased wine to bring home to the states. His top wines are very good and not very expensive. It is a nice stop if you are back tracking after completing the Camino.

Sure, the wine fountain is iconic, but unfortunately the wine from it may just upset the stomach..
In contrast, a bottle of genuine Irache Crianza from the next door tienda for 5-7€ is well worth to be taken for relaxing dinner in Los Arcos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I, too, enjoyed the wine fountain. I checked my photos and see I was there around 9:30 am on Oct 26 last year. Might I have rubbed elbows with either of you two? The wine fountain is one of the many wonderful sights along the Camino. Kudos to the winery for continuing the fountain despite the costs incurred. It's incumbent on all pilgrims to show restraint and respect when enjoying the wine fountain and every other site they encounter. It was such a pleasure and honor to walk in the footsteps of the millions of pilgrims who preceded me over the centuries. I hope to walk it again one day and pray that places such as the wine fountain continue to exist.
Buen Camino,
Bob91
Hi Bob I was there 10th October, but 2020. Hope to make it again this year, this time with my 15 year old grandson.

When I went past in 2017, quite early in the morning, the fountain was not dispensing. When we had a communal meal in Najera I was in charge of wine buying and bought a bottle of the appropriate wine to see what I had missed. The answer was nothing - it was a very thin sour drop. Take the photo and move on there are a lot more enjoyable wines out there.

As for the wine, only a limited amount is available each day, it's not endless.

For that reason I was disappointed to see people filling their water bottles with the wine.

Then again, perhaps they did think it was bottomless and pilgrims arriving later in the day would benefit too.

I passed by very early in the morning and took a token sip. Like you I was annoyed to see people filling water bottles, treating the offering to pilgrims like complimentary bar.

I passed by very early in the morning and took a token sip. Like you I was annoyed to see people filling water bottles, treating the offering to pilgrims like complimentary bar.
Same here. One time when I was there, the fountain was shut, due to a person trying to fill up a 1.5 litre bottle. VERY disrespectful on the "pilgrim's" hand...

Given you can buy bottles of wine for 2€-4€ most anywhere as well as have a bottle to yourself as part of a pilgrim’s meal, I’m amazed that folks still want to take away from the experience of the next pilgrim by filling bottles at this site.

€149,-
Given you can buy bottles of wine for 2€-4€ most anywhere as well as have a bottle to yourself as part of a pilgrim’s meal, I’m amazed that folks still want to take away from the experience of the next pilgrim by filling bottles at this site.
Indeed. Speaks volumes of the disrespectful "pilgrim", or "vinogrino" as better said. Simply disgusting, IMHO. And I am a lover of Spanish wine.

Same here. One time when I was there, the fountain was shut, due to a person trying to fill up a 1.5 litre bottle. VERY disrespectful on the "pilgrim's" hand...
Happened also in one my CF. There was a young man from Granada, who had spotless and dustless hiking shoes after days of heavy walking. Either did they not seem to be worn out at all. During the whole time I met with him, In saw him only once 'on the road', when he was following a Canadian girl trying to get her to lend him some money.
He was a 'chef' and volunteered to make dinner in the evenings - of course the rest of us took care of shopping 😁. After Fuente de Vino he just happened 🤔😁 to have two or three 1,5 soda bottles full of red wine, which he with grand gesture served to the others, too.

€149,-
In the late summer/early fall of 2019, I only spent about 3 weeks in August/September reading up and studying about the Camino Frances before buying my return ticket (non-refundable airline ticket) from Vancouver to Madrid on the Orbitz search engine site. I knew that if I didn't act fast, I'd have to wait another full year to do my Camino otherwise. So, I threw the dice and went for it. They say those who fail to plan, plan to fail. But I've always been a minimalist when it comes to planning. I got the salient details and facts, and then made up my mind to: "Just do it", as those Nike advertisements say. Of course, these days with Covid-19, it's a little more complicated, but in my home country of Canada, I see postings on the Canadian Company of Pilgrims website blogs from folks who have recently hiked the El Camino by just basically making up their minds to just "go for it". Anyways, back to the main subject. In 2019, after I read about this free wine fountain (Fuentes del Vino), in the Brierley book (p.86), I made it a must see stop on my planning for my Camino France's Pilgrimage. When I did my Camino in the fall and of 2019, it was a beautiful clear sunny day when I arrived at Bodegas Irache, (where the free wine tap is), and I only had to wait a few minutes while another pilgrim ahead of me drew himself a cup of wine from the free wine spigot. I myself filled up two 500ml empty plastic water bottles from this free source of rich red wine made from local Concord grapes. My Camino took me all the way from St. Jean Pied de Port (via Route Napoleon over the Pyranees) to Santiago de Compostela and onwards to Finesterra and Muxia. I always opted for the green routes on my Camino and soon after getting my free wine from the Fuentes del Vino I carried on my way (my Camino) via the green route into the nearby forested mountains with their fabulous views of the plains down below them. And soon after heading out I stopped at a promontory and sat down and made a lunch from the bread/biguette and cheese in my rucksack and poured myself a cup of my free wine. I pretty much had that green route trail all to myself. The two 500ml plastic bottles of free wine lasted me for my lunchtime beverage for about another three weeks on my six weeks Camino. I joined the Canadian Company of Pilgrims before departing Canada and formally registered as a Pilgrim in St. Jean Pied de Port. I was traveling on a shoestring, kind of in the tradition of the Pilgrims of yesteryear. So, the free wine kind of honored that tradition. I would highly recommend stopping at the Fuentes del Vino to all my fellow Pilgrims. P.S. Wine made from Concord grapes is rich in antioxidants. Happy trails and Happy Camino everyone. Stay safe.

Perhaps that is why when I was there in 2014 it was 1 euro for a chance and the spigot timed out after an ounce… which was plenty for the novelty of the idea… and more than I needed of what was very bad wine. As @henrythedog notes upthread…. The conditions for the wine that comes out of the spigot are *less than ideal*. I do not see it as a reflection on the winery itself that what comes from the spigot is thin and sour… But I cannot *imagine* incurring the cost, nor wanting to drink more than a thimble of it for the sake of the novelty.

There are a number of notice boards on the wall around the wine fountain. All in Spanish and politely worded.

It's not Wine to Go.

Pilgrims are invited to un trago de vino for a toast. If you want to take wine with you, you are asked to buy it. You can read the Rules of Use on the black board (see photo). On one of the other boards, pilgrims are asked to respect these rules.

Un trago de vino.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you asked me, I'd say the wine fountain is a fairy tale, it doesn't exist. I never saw it. Seriously.

@asb6918 , buen Camino. I'm excited you get to go! I wouldn't worry too much about the accommodation, even if it's Easter. You'll find a place to sleep.

Pilgrims are invited to un trago de vino for a toast. If you want to take wine with you, you are asked to buy it.
On one of the boards to the left of the gate, it is translated into English: You are invited to take "a swig of wine", ie not much more than a sip, enough for a toast to celebrate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have passed by the “wine fountain” 3 times. 2008, 2009, 2014. I only stopped the first time. The second time there was a large group of youthful pilgrims filling various water bottles and mouthing the tap. When I saw that I moved on and the third time I passed it by without stopping at all. It is a very nice gesture by the winery but the abuse of the privilege has spoiled the experience for me.

Umm, I wouldn't be bragging about that.
Oops, sorry that was a typo, they were actually 250 ml cups. But no worries, it wasn't intended as a brag. On the day when I was there it was okay to have more than one cup and a number of fellow Pilgrims who were there when I was there had a couple of cups as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was there in late November - I brushed my teeth at the wine fountain. Long story. I'm not a big fan of their wine, but the water is fantastic.
Really?

Hope it is open. Enjoy it. I didn't think the wine was too bad tbh! Nice to have a 'glass' for breakfast - will give you a bit of pep over the next couple of kms !
Buen Camino

Same here, as I arrived, a grinning Italian pilgrim presented his one litre cola bottle full of Irache wine, and none for the rest of us.... spoilt that treat good...

The Wine Fountain is indeed a popular stop. But just like the Camino, there are surprises. In August 2016 we walked up the hill to the monastery and fountain and arrived about 7:30 a.m on a Saturday, with a few other Peregrinos. After waiting until almost 9:00 a.m. we left, making our walk very hot. We found out later it didn’t open that day. A photo op and a drop of wine. But all was not lost, as the wonderful iron worker and his outdoor workshop and sales, uphill before the fountain were worth the walk for the little iron shell to remember the Camino. Hoping he’s still working and open. And maybe you can check to see if and when the fountain is operating. Buen Camino.

As @alexwalker and others have said, there is a live webcam. All you have to do is click on the link to see whether the gate is open or closed. At the time of typing this post, it is quarter to three in the afternoon in Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Same here, as I arrived, a grinning Italian pilgrim presented his one litre cola bottle full of Irache wine, and none for the rest of us.... spoilt that treat good...
I promise: you missed nothing but warm vinegar.
The properly bottled wine may be great; I have no idea.
What comes out of the tap is sour and thin.
The behaviour you describe of the grinning goofball does, however, leave the same taste in my mouth as the sip of wine… just because, you know: the gluttony… the entitlement…
There is succour in knowing he probably had gut-rot for his reward.

We walked in 2017 and would have been bythe wine fountain in May. BUT...somehow, I have no idea how....we missed it!? By the time we realized we should have been passed it we saw a pilgrim and inquired. Yep, somehow missed it. It was an unseasonably hot day and decided not to backtrack. But how we missed it have no explanation other than with the heat we were more focused on the trail and just moving forward versus looking for the fountain and/or signs. Hopefully we are able to walk again this year and we WILL see it. Still boggles my mind that we totally missed it somehow.

Check if the gate is open here:

To be clear and add to the discussion, the gates were opened and I even managed to get a drop from the previous day’s wine. The wine was not filled that day. But it was worth the try. I’m not a wine drinker so, mostly I was just disappointed that we waited. But, as we say, Ultreia.

Attachments

• 84A6981F-FD6C-4FD3-B667-928E900DE6D4.jpeg
    84A6981F-FD6C-4FD3-B667-928E900DE6D4.jpeg
    911.4 KB · Views: 2
The wine fountain is indeed open (April 30 2022). We arrived alone with a tour group. I stood there in amazement watching a lady open the tap and stand there letting it flow down the drain so she could have her photo taken! Unbelievable! I explained to her that there is only a limited quantity per day, she scampered off. Also watched several of the group fill there water bottles as well. We took our sip in our shells and moved on. As we were leaving it appeared the wine had run out.

watching a lady open the tap and stand there letting it flow down the drain so she could have her photo taken!
Wow….just….wow. What an insult to the hard work of the laborers who produced the wine, the generosity of the winery, the needs of pilgrims, and on and on. 😞.

While I appreciate that not everyone has the time or stamina to walk, it’s incidents like this that really tries one patience on the Camino. We had similar experiences with tour groups taking up rest areas and shady spots with lavish lunch spreads, filling albergue beds to capacity, and arriving before us for seats at Mass. It tries one’s patience and serenity, but hopefully we all learn a lesson on sharing limited resources with one another in a more kindly manner.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back