• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wine on the Chemin and Bertranges Forest

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I have settled on the route and am now planning full time:Vezelay-Nevers-La Charite-sur Loire. Those who know me are aware of my penchant for ignoring the guide books, going suddenly walkabout, and for deviations from the recommended routes-I love maps and cannot help myself but to look around a bit no matter where I may be. The Vezelay Chemin passes just south of the villages Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé home of two of my favorite white wines before turning through the forest of Nevers and on to the Bertranges forest-both ancient with pre-Roman history and both full of oak trees. I trust you are following my thought-wine lovers know that French oak is preferred worldwide for the wood used in making the barrels in which wine is aged-the best French oak? Comes from the Bertranges trees followed closely by Nevers. No wonder I was attracted! Should this subject be of any interest look for more information here:

http://www.eowinelab.com/files/Barrel_Seminar_2011.pdf

it is fascinating and ultimately very tasty!
S.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Great area scruffy,especialy for wine buffs,do me a favour & keep it a secret,otherwise everyone will be heading there;)...........only kidding.:)............I am sure you will enjoy..........Vicrev

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back