• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wine: The Pilgrimage BIERZO

rioja routard

Hola

Tesco's have a red wine from the Bierzo region in Galicia called 'The Pilgrimage'.
It is not cheap at £6.99 a bottle.
It shows Spanish pilgrim routes on the label and Santiago de Compostela.
I think it is made in the new world style so may be quite nice.
As it is my birthday I will share a bottle tonight with my girlfriend and have it with a large steak.

Here is some more information about it;

The Pilgrimage is created from one of the wonderful, but little known, "Native Grapes of Spain". Mencia is indigenous to the small DO Bierzo that is currently gaining a big reputation with the wine enthusiasts around the world. The wine is very approachable when young with pronounced cherrry and plum fruits on the nose and complex chocolate and spicy notes. There is masses of soft fruit flavours, fresh acidity and rounded tannins leading to a long smooth and creamy finish. A great wine to discover and consume with all kinds of Mediterranean cuisine.
The vineyards are the key with this outstanding wine. They are located between the villages of Corullon, Villafranca del Bierzo and Cacbelos on a mosaic of complex soils ranging from alluvial clays and stones on the valley floor to granite and schist higher up the slope. The vines are mature with ages up to 35 years and they had a fabulous 2006 vintage with no disease, rot and other problems. It was an extremely ripe year with forward style wines. The harvest is 100% by hand to select the best grapes. The juice is carefully extracted and fermented in small stainless steel fermenters where precise control of the temperatures is possible. A small portion of the wine is matured for 2 to 3 months in new oak barrels.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Your a person after my own heart. I'll be up to Tesco's tomorrow first thing to buy a bottle or two. I do hope it's better than the San Damiano I got on the Pilgrimage. Though that might have been in Leon. Whoops, probably just started a civil war!

I bought a bottle from Tesco's yesterday after reading your post and, though I'm no expert, I would say it's not a bad wine at all.

Thanks, Andrew.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've only just come across this post. My previous info was that the Bierzo wine was hard to get hold of outside of its own region in Spain. In Spain it tasted wonderful.
Brendan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wines, Wines, Wines ...

It's true, we are lucky, in Spain there's a lot of good wines, and not too expensive.

When we begin in Navarra, there's a good wines (in my opinion the best are the "Rosados", not red wine but not white one).

Then, La Rioja. ¿What can I say about?. Of course, there you have to taste the red wines.

In Burgos, from Burgos to Leon you are walking on the "Ribera del Duero" Land. In the last times it are been considered a so good wines like the Rioja, here in Spain. Sometimes, better than Riojas.

When you are in El Bierzo, this special area makes a good wine, in my opinion no so good than Rioja or Ribera, but of course quite good.

In Galicia there's a lot of people who owns a little piece of land, where they like to make their own wine. Just 800 - 900 litres, enough for oneself and may be to present or to send. It's a not very good wine.

You can find, of course, the famous Albariño or the Ribeiro, white wines, and very recommended with sea food.

If you arrive to Santiago by the VDLP, in Seville you can enjoy good wines like the "Tio Pepe", sherries and so.

Extremadura produces any quite good wines, the same like Zamora area (Toro wines, and so)

I coud talk about the portuguese wines, wines from Valencia, from Barcelona ... but I suppose it's enough.

Cheers and ... ¡Buen Camino!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: Wine: STORKS TOWER

TESCO have another Camino related wine called Storks Tower which is a blend of Tempranillo Shiraz from the León area. Those of us that have plodded that way will find the symbol of storks on a church tower on the wine label bringing back fond memories.

It is on offer at £3.99 instead of £5.99 at the moment. :p There is a rosé version too but for me I am a confirmed red wine drinker.

cheers!

Attachments

• 8410849001120_200[1].jpg
    8410849001120_200[1].jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,130
Well, you can tell how much I like wine from my name...:)

Indeed, the only day I didn't drink wine on the Camino was the day I got sick (climbing the big hill outside of Cizur Menor - ugh). Go figure...

Anyway, after that day I always made sure I had plenty of vino tinto, and subsequently I never had a digestive issue. So now, I have a fond place in my heart (and stomach) for Spanish wine. I'll look for that brand at a local wine store I frequent that has lots of Spanish brands - gracias!

By the way, I wonder if you can get orujo de hierbas in the US? That's some mighty potent stuff...yum!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello

This wine is available at Tesco's Calais now, located in the Cité d'Europe priced at just over £5 depending on the strength of the € and the weakness of the pound.

Santé / cheers

Attachments

• pilgrimage.jpg
    pilgrimage.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 795
The Pilgrimage is created from one of the wonderful, but little known, "Native Grapes of Spain".
The vineyards are the key with this outstanding wine. They are located between the villages of Corullon, Villafranca del Bierzo and Cacabelos on a mosaic of complex soils... The harvest is 100% by hand to select the best grapes.
I was in Villafranca del Bierzo, home of Jesus Cato at the Ave Fenix albergue. I got to stay with them for 3 days and helped as a hospitalera, thereby meeting and working with those who were also volunteering there. One of the things that I liked about Jato is that he allows those pilgrims who, because of lack of funds, stay there, free of charge and pick grapes in the vineyards of Villafranca.
I would receive much pleasure, spiritually, to drink the wine that was handpicked by the small group of people that were there at the same time as me.
Has anyone found this wine sold in the States?
With Love
Lillian

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back