• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wine

capecorps

On my last two Caminos, I typically drank one half to a full bottle of red wine a day. I had no ill effects. In fact, just the opposite: it enhanced an already incredible experience.

I have diligently tried to replicate this at home with unfortunate results: it disturbed my sleep and led to a general malaise (hangover} the next day. Being of a naturally inquiring and analytical bent of mind, I am determined to plumb the depths of this strange phenomenon:

Why I am able to imbibe with impunity verging on extreme pleasure on the Camino while at home, I might as well be drinking hemlock?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my last two Caminos, I typically drank one half to a full bottle of red wine a day. I had no ill effects. In fact, just the opposite: it enhanced an already incredible experience.

I have diligently tried to replicate this at home with unfortunate results: it disturbed my sleep and led to a general malaise (hangover} the next day. Being of a naturally inquiring and analytical bent of mind, I am determined to plumb the depths of this strange phenomenon:

Why I am able to imbibe with impunity verging on extreme pleasure on the Camino while at home, I might as well be drinking hemlock?
question: which wine do you buy/drink at home?
in europe, i could easily polish off a bottle of wine with a friend for lunch, and be perfectly coherent afterwards - while if i drank california wine like that here at 'home', i'd be somewhat comatose and with massive headaches the next day. not charming at all. (consequence: stopped drinking wine not grown/produced in europe. - yes, it could be called snobish ... but i'd rather be called a snob than dealing w/ those massive headaches.)
some of the wine there is light, with around 8% alcohol. some are up to 13 -14% vol of alcohol. - depends. aftereffect of drinking wine varies also about the sulfites added. sulfites are usually natural to the soil, but it can get very head-achey if sulfites are added to the wine making process. which many winemakers do - to 'speed' up things. sigh!!
hope you will find good wine where you live - (but i never can quite duplicate the fun and yummy of tasting and enjoying a country alberinho wine drunk in galicia or vinho verde in portugal to the pacific shores here.)
don't know where you live, but i found some decent euro wine at trader joe's ... and make do with that until i get back to the wine growing regions of europe.
Best of Luck with finding something good drink that won't leave you hemlocked the next day!! Salute!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

I was told it had to do with tannin as it is not required 0r there is less in the non traveling wine. I answered because I have had the same experience and thoughts.

Wine, a favorite subject of mine. On the Camino you are expending quite a bit of energy, probably much more than at home. Wine imbibed on the Camino is liquid which the body demands, the alcohol is turned into sugar which the body burns as calories, and often you were sharing that bottle with friends. Alcohol can lead to unfortunate results but it is indeed the tannins which may be to blame but more so the injudicious addition of sulfites, residual sugar, fining agents or higher alcohol additions to make them taste better which are wiping you out. Most quality wines are pushing 13.5% alcohol today and many cheapo brands add alcohol supposedly for the taste. Most of the café/bar wines on the Camino are lesser known often locally produced wines of 12-12.5% and the wine makers wouldn't dream of adding much to the product. The tienda brands are also of this variety. Sulfites are added to help preserve the wine, until a certain level they have no effect but who knows how much is hiding in the bottle you are drinking at home. Navarra, Rioja, Bierzo, and my favorites on the Camino are actually the whites, Albariño (incredibly good and very expensive) and Verdejo (very similar but much cheaper) both Rías Baixas, that is Galician wines, another very good reason to walk on! My advice? Pay more/drink less and your head will be fine.

PS Ask your wine merchant to include an organic wine or two next time they throw a tasting, you may find one to your liking. Organic wines get three *** for no additives, unfortunately, their taste is usually, well, godawful.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Scruffy

The grape variety Verdejo is not included in the D. O (Origin Denomination). Rias Baixas, probably you meant Ribeiro that is a different Galician D. O. I agree that it'is also good and cheaper.
The famous place for Verdejo is Rueda (Castilla-León).

I do experience the same. Wine is easy to drink on the camino with no negative side effects. It's easy for me to buy spanish wines at home, but a bottle of spanish wine at home does come with a hangover too :confused:
The way I did explain it till now is like Scruffy said, taking alcohol while hiking (or any other sport) just has a different effect on your body, with no side effect. One good reason to do a lot of excercise :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Scruffy

The grape variety Verdejo is not included in the D. O (Origin Denomination). Rias Baixas, probably you meant Ribeiro that is a different Galician D. O. I agree that it'is also good and cheaper.
Quite right, too early in the morning when I wrote, I meant Godello, more then the poor man's Albariño, its a great wine on its own.

A lot of european (i.e. the good stuff lol) wine has sulfites added to it if it is going to be distributed in the USA. A lot of people (such as my french aunt-in-law) have negative reactions to those sulfites.

"Wine is sunlight,held together by water"- a metaphor coined by Galileo.

Nothing can replicate that feeling of well being ,on the Caminho, sitting preferably outside, with wine glass in hand.
Some. very well informed advice on this thread.
Perhaps it is that combination of factors:- context,weather, mind set, companions, that is unique to the Caminho.

I am a great enthusiast of Portuguese and Spanish wine,plus Some Argentian Malbec , when affordable.
But at home, I always imbibe water,too; one for one!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Wine is sunlight,held together by water"- a metaphor coined by Galileo.

Nothing can replicate that feeling of well being ,on the Caminho, sitting preferably outside, with wine glass in hand.
Some. very well informed advice on this thread.
Perhaps it is that combination of factors:- context,weather, mind set, companions, that is unique to the Caminho.

I am a great enthusiast of Portuguese and Spanish wine,plus Some Argentian Malbec , when affordable.
But at home, I always imbibe water,too; one for one!
LOVE that Galileo quote! thanks !

When I completed my first camino, I felt spiritually refreshed and rejuvenated - unlike my liver which was probably in dire need of a detox!

At home, I think I'm what the nanny NHS would describe as a moderate drinker, namely a small glass of red wine each evening. Wonderfully relaxing before bed. Never get a hangover or headache from that.

Whilst walking, my drinking day started at lunchtime, with a nice cold beer (my substitute for a good cuppa tea). Helped no end with the next 2 hours of walking. I then had another one (or two) beers late afternoon whilst writing up my notes for the day. Funnily enough, the prose always flowed more freely by the end of the glass. Then 2 glasses of wine with dinner, to ensure that I would sleep soundly in a room full of snoring and grunting fellow pilgrims. All made perfect sense to me at the time and I never had any ill effects from it.

From the comments, I think I now understand why so many Americans that I met whilst walking, tended to drink fizzy sweet teeth-rotting chemical juice in a can (ie coke or similar). I wondered at the time if it was because they were health conscious and did not want to damage their liver, but looks like they were frightened of the Real Stuff. What a shame. They missed out on so much....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Other factor, you drink a lot of water on the Camino. It rehydrates you while also flushing out your system. It is unlikely that you drink that much water at home.

I've traveled in Spain for over 2 decades, and done the Camino twice in the last 2 years.
It is not the Camino exercise, or the water, or other things that make the difference.
Trust me, you can drink lots of Spanish wine, with little adverse effects, even while sitting on the beaches or eating your way through Andalucia.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I too have pondered this question. (no not the, 'am I an alcoholic? one haha) when I drink red, my face also goes red (as does my teeth) but when I drank on the Camino I not only felt like I could drink the whole bottle and still be coherent but my face didn't go red until I crossed into Galacia. I Wondered if the pilgrims meal cheap bottle actually had any alcohol in it! Would love to be able to replicate it back home (australia) have tried organic but they all seem to have added sulphites which I'm thinking is the culprit.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
On the Camino, I enjoy a strong morning coffee. Also later, when it's cold. But that first beer, with a tortilla, 11 o'clock, sitting in the sun outside a cafe, is really refreshing. It is energy for 5 more kms. :)

And of course, Spanish red wine for lunch and/or dinner, and then hitting the bed.

But "Beer is sooo much more than just a breakfast drink".;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A lot of european (i.e. the good stuff lol) wine has sulfites added to it if it is going to be distributed in the USA. A lot of people (such as my french aunt-in-law) have negative reactions to those sulfites.
Moi aussi...I do too...

I find I am able to tolerate more of everything on the Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

A couple of weeks ago I walked through Rueda on the camino del Sureste. It was only 11am, but I thought it would be fun to boast that I'd drunk Rueda in Rueda, so asked for a copita. The barman poured about a third of a bottle of verdejo into my glass: it was delicious, but it probably slowed my walk on to Tordesillas.

The power of several inquiring and analytical minds bending their thoughts to an apparently insolvable problem can never be underestimated.

The quality of the wine on the Camino was immeasurably superior to the wine at home: if I wanted to both bemuse and amuse my European friends, I would ask them what they thought of Canadian wine.

The pilgrim’s menu included several bottles of the house wine as a matter of course. Here in Canada, the house wine is typically the cheapest plonk. On the Camino, the house wine is also the least expensive wine available. It was the local wine (often bereft of proper labeling) grown just outside the village. Since the Camino wends its way through one of the finest grape growing regions of the world, the house wine just happened to be one of the finest wines in the world. I thought it tasted great. I did go to some high end tapas bars in the big cities. When pointing to my tapas of choice and ordering vino tinto, the barman would reach behind him and select a bottle which he tendered for my (uninformed) consideration before pouring it into a fine glass with a theatrical flourish: pure ambrosia and, coupled with the tapas: superlative, angels dancing on my tongue. So of course I went to my local Liquor Control Board store here in Ontario and plunked down my sixty bucks for their finest Rioja wine hoping to entice the angels back. No such luck – perhaps the sulfites and tannins alluded to above.

On the Camino, I slept long and I slept deep. Any residual toxins still coursing in my veins were soon dealt with by a seven hour hike upon waking. I was never able to drink anything other than coffee while walking, although an ice cold beer in the hot midday sun seemed to be popular with my fellow walkers. My German friends introduced me to “cervasa con limon” which I would literally gulp down, but only after a hard day’s walking: strange, because I’ve never gulped beer in my life.

Perhaps Musicman sums it up best: " it is that combination of factors:- context,weather, mind set, companions, that is unique to the Caminho."

Go your Way. Eat your food with gladness and drink your wine with a joyful heart for it is now that God favors what you do. (Ecclesiastes 9:7)

if I wanted to both bemuse and amuse my European friends, I would ask them what they thought of Canadian wine.
My wine warehouse has hundreds of bottles of wine. Only five selections come from Canada, all ice wine, a fortified dessert wine from near the New York wine country. You must have gotten some wide-eyed wonder when you asked your question!:)

Sulfites were listed on every wine label I read in Spain. Sulfites prevent secondary fermentation, where wine turns to vinegar. The sweeter the wine, the more sulfites needed, so white wines have more. Research has exonerated sulfites as the cause of wine headaches, but:

Back in the 1980s the food and drug administration discovered that about 1% of the population was allergic to sulfites. Because of the health concern for the sensitive population, wines above 20 ppm (parts per million) must be labeled with “contains sulfites”. Sulfites are found naturally on grapes and sulfur is also commonly added in small amounts at the beginning of fermentation and prior to bottling. Typically red wines have about 50-350 ppm and white wines have more, about 250-450 ppm (because of extreme sensitivity to light, heat and discoloration). The general litmus test for sulfites sensitivity is dried fruit. Mangos and apricots contain about 4-10 times as many (1000-3000 ppm) sulfites.

Sulfites can cause reactions in asthmatics. Sugar is a more likely cause of the headache. Tyramine and tannin also are accused of causing headaches, but that would implicate chocolate and tea as well.

Dr. Freitag from the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago originally wrote an article about how histamines may be the culprit in causing red wine headaches. Foods that have been fermented or aged have higher levels of histamines such as tofu, tempeh, champagne, red wine, ketchup and aged meats. Histamines can cause inflammatory flushing and wakefulness at night. Since most histamines are a cause of allergic reactions (similar to hay-fever), taking an anti-histamine prior to drinking may solve the problem. An ancient Chinese cure calls for black or oolong tea to reduce swelling.

Wine has about the same sulfite level as soda, and a fraction of french fries. Dried fruit has ten times the sulfites as the worst wine.

To avoid the headache, drink less wine, and drink water while drinking the wine (in about an equal proportion to the wine).;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No-one has mentioned cider. I have a very hazy memory of walking out of Cizur Menor after being persuaded by my daughter that 11am on a very hot day was the perfect time to visit the Sideria. For Just One Glass. Which may explain her knee problems coming down the Alto del Perdon.

No-one has mentioned cider. I have a very hazy memory of walking out of Cizur Menor after being persuaded by my daughter that 11am on a very hot day was the perfect time to visit the Sideria. For Just One Glass. Which may explain her knee problems coming down the Alto del Perdon.

Cider in Spain typically has a very low alcohol content.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My teeth and legs did not think so. They were definitely heavy by the time we left. But perhaps that was because the Just One Glass was so refreshing we had a few more.

In Basque country, I tended to drink a bottle at the end of each day. Not sure I would recommend drinking a bottle of any alcoholic beverage while still walking, with the exception of a cold Cerveza/Limon on a hot day.

My walking companion and I had some strict rules regarding the intake of (intoxicating) beverages: First stop of the day - café con leche. Second stop: Bubbly water (mineralwater con gas). Third stop, or 10 km, which ever happens first: A Clara! This is the cerveza/lemonade drink, a shandy in the UK or a Radler in Germany, apparently?. Then if there is a fourth stop, a cerveza is just the thing, and then with the meal in the evening, vino medicino! All of course taken alongside copious amounts of water. Love them rules.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cider in Spain typically has a very low alcohol content.
A lot of Asturian Sidra is 8%. Although I accept some are a little over 4% I am not sure I would like to call that weak as only very strong cider in the UK is above 6% and a lot are around 4%. Still everything is comparative and we all have our own comparisons. ;)

This question exercised my Camino compadres aplenty this past September / October, as we strode through the Rioja fields during harvest. And before, in my first Camino in April 2013. My endpoint was that it's probably due to sulphites and such, but it might also just be another of those strange, magnificent Camino miracles. Enjoy while visiting, and visit often. Larga vida la 2016!

This question exercised my Camino compadres aplenty this past September / October, as we strode through the Rioja fields during harvest. And before, in my first Camino in April 2013. My endpoint was that it's probably due to sulphites and such, but it might also just be another of those strange, magnificent Camino miracles. Enjoy while visiting, and visit often. Larga vida la 2016!

since you mentioned 'Rioja' - just came across this
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/d...oter&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article&_r=0
best wishes - saluti!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good to see that JennyH94 is reading every post about this wine with many likes too, encouraged by her countrywoman Kanga mixing the brew all we need now is a post from Gerard's story book and the Christmas online Party can begin! ;)

Hola dear b! This thread is way too fabulous to 'lurk' on - I simply have to register lots of "Likes"!
Will you and peregrina b be sticking to the G&T's over the festive season, or will you be switching to something red and delicious which is poured out of a Spanish bottle?
I have it on good authority that Kanga is at this very minute mixing up an enormous jug of Sangria for us all to enjoy!
I hope that Gerard isn't too busy partying and will give us another chapter from his story book for our Christmas reading.
Best wishes for a happy and holy holiday season - Jenny :):D

Ah my lady of the Southern isle I thought that might tempt you out of your lurking likes. Perigrina b and myself have invested in a box of Vino Tinto for our Christmas break (from the g&t that is ) So before we begin to celebrate we too send our best wishes to you and S for a happy and blessed Christmas time.:) With some hope Gerard may be also lurking and preparing his latest offering:D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Since this thread refuses to die, time to add one more offering, a peculiar favorite of mine. Not for the faint-hearted or for striplings, Aguardiente!!! Something like grappa but not really, 30-60% alcohol not to be imbibed carelessly. It's also good for removing paint and disinfecting blisters. Good stuff actually, but forewarned is forearmed, go easy on this stuff!

<quote>From the comments, I think I now understand why so many Americans that I met whilst walking, tended to drink fizzy sweet teeth-rotting chemical juice in a can (ie coke or similar).</quote>

I am an American. I do not drink soda. I do make my own wine which I many people I know prefer over the commercial stuff and often ask if I would sell it. I do not since I like to share and gift instead. I currently have about 300 bottles in the cellar.

I’ll avoid guessing what country the above quote came from since it would only drag this thread down. I’ll just say, be careful judging nationalities and stereotyping.

WldWil, can I politely ask you to re-read my post please. I was not commentating on Americans in general, nor was I judging nationalities. I was talking about my experiences with the couple of dozen or more Americans that I met and ate an evening meal with, during the course of walking the camino this September. My point was that I was surprised as to how little wine most (but not all) drank. Instead, they drank soda, wine+cola mixed, coffee, a tiny glass of wine, or a glass or two of beer with their evening meal, which surprised me. In the original post, I said how I wondered at the time whether it was for health reasons - which is a very worthy reason - but now wondered whether it might be because drinking wine in the States had given them a headache, which is another valid reason to avoid wine. I specifically talked about Americans, because it was their behaviour that caught my attention, and a number of the comments above have been made by people living in north America.

I will however admit that my original post might have been clumsily written, particularly my attack on soda drinks. I was never keen on 'fizzy drinks' but my indifference to them has now turned to downright hostility. You see, I've spent the past 10 years living in the Middle East where I have had to attend numerous receptions where all that has ever been on offer to drink has been sweetened mixed fruit juice, 7 Up or Cola. Even getting a glass of water often proved impossible. I did not find it a nice situation to be in.

How fortunate you are to have 300 bottles of your own wine. You know how it was made. You know what went in to it. No doubt it is without the additives that people above are commentating about. No doubt it is what I would call the Real Stuff - wine made properly, with a local reputation, for local consumption rather than anonymous wine made in large quantities with loads of additives to enable it to be sent to the far corners of the globe. I hope you continue to produce and enjoy your wine for many years to come.

Btw, I am English. Thank you for drawing attention to that omission from my profile. I shall rectify it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Felice, no harm done. I'll back up the avoidance of fizzy drinks. Personally, I do not even drink coffee (I have nothing against it, jut does not do much for me). I have drank my share of beer though as well.

There is something about the outdoors that does seem to effect consumption. Splitting a bottle with a buddy during shore lunch in Canada has little or no effect at all or even a few beers on the ice while ice fishing. Plus, you do not worry about driving home on the Camino as well.

I enjoy making wine and truly appreciate ones that I find. The only thing more fun is sharing it with others. Plus, my mother who is allergic to shell fish and sulfur can enjoy a class as well. My personal opinion is that the negative effects the next day are not as bad either if you have a bit more than you should.

When I reached Santiago de Compostela I treated myself to a few bottles of a very good and reasonably priced Galician wine which I heartily recommend.

IMG_1844.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as we are picture sharing, for my 50th birthday this year, I got the blessing to go on the trip, along with a backpack and very special dinner out that included a bottle of Vina Eguia Tempranillo 2010 which I think is grown somewhere near Logroño. I am hoping to get another bottle of it on the Camino.
spanish-wine.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The quality of the wine is directly related to the distance walked, the further you have walked the better the wine tastes at the end if the day, the same applies to beer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back