• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter 2012 Camino

thefryeguy

I am planning to arrive at StJean on December 16th, with my Camino to begin on Monday the 17th. I will talk as far as I am able through January 4th and travel to Madrid where I fly out of on the 5th. I plan on coming back to finish in a year or two as I am able. Anyone else planning on a Christmas & New Year's Camino? Hopefully I won't be all alone over the holidays! Thanks to all!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi!

I think you'll be fine. I haven't walked a winter Camino, but I was there last December clearing litter and although it was quiet there were still a number of pilgrims around. When I was leaving I walked from Moratinos to Sahagun to get my train to the airport and bumped into a Brazilian and Korean peregrina. We reached the bar in San Nicolas and bumped into the rest of their 'Camino family' made up of various Europeans.

It may have been discussed before, but perhaps winter Camino families are closer than those in busier times of year. They are more likely to recognise and get to know each other and stay in the same albergues as options are more limited. You'll have a great time!

Buen Camino!

p.s. The guys I met were pretty much on schedule to arrive at Christmas so would spend at least part of the holiday period in Spain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My wife and I left St. Jean on Dec 15, 2010. We had gorgeous weather for most of the Camino all the way to Muxia. We climbed to Roncesvalles under mostly sunny skies and descended the following day, in light snow, to Zubiri. Fantastic. Judging by the time you have to walk you should have no problem completing the first half of the Camino. I would imagine that you would be around Sahagun on the 4th (mas o menos). We found the Camino very quiet until Puente la Reina when we picked up a few other pilgrims. As we traveled westward those numbers gradually increased but I don't think we ever had more than 15 (or so) in our group. We spent Christmas Eve in Santo Domingo. Had a fun dinner with 6 other pilgrims. You will have a great Camino. We are leaving St. Jean Dec 31st for another trip to Santiago, Finisterre, Muxia, and maybe the Camino Ingles. Good luck.

John

Thank you both for the encouragement and info!

John- Do you think if I end up in Sahagun on the 4th I will have difficulty finding transport to Madrid to catch my plane? I thought I might be better off pressing a little harder to get to Leon if I get close. I appreciate your thoughts.

I hope I can find a good little group or a couple individuals to spend Christmas with since I will surely be missing my daughters and family back home by then. I also hope the weather this year is as good as what you had in 2010.

Buen camino!

I am not sure what your travel schedule is but you should not have any problems getting a bus to Leon and a train from there to Madrid.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am trying to kind of 'play it by ear' as far as my schedule. It is so much against my nature to not plan out every tiny detail, and I am looking forward to the Camino enabling me to be comfortable in letting things take their course.

My flight leaves Madrid at 7:35 on Saturday the fifth of January. I wonder if I shouldn't try to get to Madrid on the 4th instead of trying to make it all the way to the airport there on the 5th. Does that sound like a safer plan? I could spend almost the entire Saturday around Madrid then I guess. Are there good, easy-acces, good-value lodging options in Madrid?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If I were you I'd book a stay in Madrid in advance. Madrid and Barcelona are significantly more expensive than other cities in Spain. I broke my journey in Barcelona after my first Camino and just turning up at a 1 star hostal cost 100 Euros! I went to an internet cafe and managaed to get a room for about 50-60 Euros, but compare that with a max of about 30-40 on the Camino.

Buen Camino!

Tyrrek: Thank you for the advice. I took it and booked a room in Madrid for the end of my Camino I'm flying out for Paris this Saturday and am excited for my Camino to begin. Though I am nervous, I will take things as they come and do as I can to meet many interesting people and have a wonderful experience!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm wishing you so much luck!
I think it's fantastic you are doing a winter Camino.
I bet it will be absolutely beautiful!
Buen BUEN Camino!
Please stay in touch.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.