• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter albergue closures on VDLP

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
I am walking the northern end of the VDLP at the moment. In the past few days I have discovered a couple of places where the Gronze website's statement that an albergue is open all year proved untrue. The first was in Montamarta where a notice on the albergue door said closed until spring. Today the municipal albergue in Mombuey was closed - no contact information on the door, no answer at the house named by Gronze as the keyholder. A private albergue close by was also closed but its owner at least tried but failed to contact the municipal hospitalero for me. So I carried on walking to Asturianos - an extra and unwelcome 17km arriving shortly after sunset. For those who are considering a winter walk on the VDLP it may be worthwhile to confirm in advance that your next night's stop is actually available. Online information is clearly not always accurate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from Sevilla to Santiago at this time two years ago and also meet closed dors, but with a little help from the locals I always found a place to sleep. Sometimes I took a taxi to get there. I walk no more than 30 km a day, mostly 20 - 25 km. I do not speak spanish, just some few words.
Buen Camino!

Quite a few closed along the way so far, I'm at Alcuéscar now, but always found somewhere. Main closures I remember are: Castilblanco, Albergue El Carmen at Villafranca, municipal at Tirremejía, and El Carrascelejo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Best albergue so far: municipal at Guillena (spacious, kitchen, friendly hospitaleros at bar next door), municipal at Alamadén de la Plata (Nieve is the kindest of hospitaleros, good bathrooms and kitchen), private at El Real de la Jara (but only one bathroom), parish hostel at Monasterio (beautiful place, the priest in charge is always there cleaning!), El Zaguan in Fuente do Cantos (lovely Antonio's - father and son, beautiful place), Albergue Extrenatura in Villafranca de Los Barros: lovely place, Jose Maria is wonderful. Albergues to avoid (IMO): Alcuéscar Slaves of Mary (grim, rules, unfriendly, cold, no kitchen, if you arrive after 6pm: no dinner; food hard to find in town, difficult to find access to albergue - I waited an hour in darkness ringing bells and looking for someone to help, and then was told off by hospitallero for arriving late). Zafra: lovely Amigos albergue but a really unpleasant hospitalerra - hopefully she is not there for long).

Last edited:
Glad to hear the muni in guinella has opened again. And you made me smile when mentioning the priest in Monesterios always cleaning. He was deiving us mad when we were teying to cook. We figured he went into priesthood because no woman would put up with his cleaning frenzy.

I am walking the northern end of the VDLP at the moment. In the past few days I have discovered a couple of places where the Gronze website's statement that an albergue is open all year proved untrue. The first was in Montamarta where a notice on the albergue door said closed until spring. Today the municipal albergue in Mombuey was closed - no contact information on the door, no answer at the house named by Gronze as the keyholder. A private albergue close by was also closed but its owner at least tried but failed to contact the municipal hospitalero for me. So I carried on walking to Asturianos - an extra and unwelcome 17km arriving shortly after sunset. For those who are considering a winter walk on the VDLP it may be worthwhile to confirm in advance that your next night's stop is actually available. Online information is clearly not always accurate.
Bradypus how was the albergue in Asturianos? I'm walking in April and am thinking of stopping there

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Best albergue so far: municipal at Guillena (spacious, kitchen, friendly hospitaleros at bar next door), municipal at Alamadén de la Plata (Nieve is the kindest of hospitaleros, good bathrooms and kitchen), private at El Real de la Jara (but only one bathroom), parish hostel at Monasterio (beautiful place, the priest in charge is always there cleaning!), El Zaguan in Fuente do Cantos (lovely Antonio's - father and son, beautiful place), Albergue Extrenatura in Villafranca de Los Barros: lovely place, Jose Maria is wonderful. Albergues to avoid (IMO): Alcuéscar Slaves of Mary (grim, rules, unfriendly, cold, no kitchen, if you arrive after 6pm: no dinner; food hard to find in town, difficult to find access to albergue - I waited an hour in darkness ringing bells and looking for someone to help, and then was told off by hospitallero for arriving late). Zafra: lovely Amigos albergue but a really unpleasant hospitalerra - hopefully she is not there for long).
Hi Pierre great post. Do you have a list of the albergues were you are staying? Im walking in April

M
It was open and gave me a friendly welcome. Very simple place - beds, toilet and showers with no other facilities. Being right next to the bar helped. What more do I need? :)
My type of albergue ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bradypus how was the albergue in Asturianos? I'm walking in April and am thinking of stopping there
It really is a lovely albergue - thanks to him, but you are right! I think he needs a busier parish!

Hi, I totally agree about the alcuescar albergue. I’ve stayed there twice now and on both occasions the fundamentals of Christianity were completely absent. Regarding the lady at zafra, she was more than polite and helpful towards me. I was there about 27/12. I’m assuming, it’s the same lady. Cheers,wild.

Hi, I totally agree about the alcuescar albergue. I’ve stayed there twice now and on both occasions the fundamentals of Christianity were completely absent. Regarding the lady at zafra, she was more than polite and helpful towards me. I was there about 27/12. I’m assuming, it’s the same lady. Cheers,wild.
I think they may change regularly as I guess they are volunteers, because a friend was there 2 months ago, at that stage it was a man who met new arrivals in his underwear!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think the man is the owner and the lady I met, is his girlfriend. They were living in the albergue, when I was there. He’s an exceptionaly nice man. He’s the same guy who was there, on my first visit two years ago. His girlfriend, at times works abroad. Cheers,wild
The Van Gogh albergue is owned by the local association, not a private individual, although Antonio is the man in charge. Other members of the association pop in to give a hand now and then, including a Norwegian who has been living in Spain for years and years. Antonio does have a bedroom at the back of the albergue. When I was there he was getting help from a lady who was doing this for the first time. She was a little nervous, but lovely. She had come from whereever her home is, miles away, leaving husband back at home, to volunteer for a couple of weeks.

I walked from Sevilla to Santiago at this time two years ago and also meet closed dors, but with a little help from the locals I always found a place to sleep. Sometimes I took a taxi to get there. I walk no more than 30 km a day, mostly 20 - 25 km. I do not speak spanish, just some few words.
Buen Camino!
How much water did you find 8 km after Santiponte when crossing the stream, on the left route, - or did you use the alternative route to Guillena ?
The water level at the time you passed , I mean !?

Last edited:

€149,-
How much water did you find 8 km after Santiponte when crossing the stream, on the left route, - or did you use the alternative route to Guillena ?
I walked it 2 weeks ago. I did not use the alternative route. I was able to walk around the water. No wet feet.

Warning in Galisteo, for those using Kelly's guide. He describes Bar Los Emigrantes in Galisteo as "a welcoming place and does good food (€8) which pilgrims rave about".

It must have changed since as the whole set up was pretty dodgy: some surly staff (not all), grotty bar, the room I was given was squalid, no spare blankets, dirty shared bathroom, heating would not work in my room (barman couldn't fix it). I asked for my money back and went to the albergue which is far superior - infact it's lovely.

The meal at Emigrantes was also no better than any other menu (and I've had many) and the sauce on the pasta was still frozen in parts. It was €9:50.

Sadly, Emigrantes is far from impressive. I would certainly not recommend anyone stay there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The meal at Emigrantes was also no better than any other menu
I had an outstandingly good meal in the dining room at the back of Los Emigrantes, in April 2017. It was good enough that I remember it clearly. The proprietors were friendly and helpful. I stayed in the municipal albergue.

I had an outstandingly good meal in the dining room at the back of Los Emigrantes, in April 2017. It was good enough that I remember it clearly. The proprietors were friendly and helpful. I stayed in the municipal albergue.
Sad then that it's changed so much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last May we stayed at Hotel Medina further out of town as Emigrantes was full. Nice room and good menu at the Hotel.

The Posada at Grimaldo is wonderful and deserves full encouragement. Cesar is so kind, great breakfast (as Spanish breakfasts go), beautiful room, bathroom, lounge area. And all for £20.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The water level at the time you passed , I mean !?
Stivander: The stream after Santiponte goes up and down very quickly depending on the amount of rain in the last few days. I walked this stretch on March 1, 2017. It was almost totally dry. Just two weeks before it had been 6 feet deep, and just two weeks later it was flooded again. I was very lucky. My advice is to watch the rainfall amounts for the several days before you leave Seville, this will be your best way to know whether to take the highway detour or not. Buen Camino!

duly noted, thanks..
I intended to ask sb in Seville

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Has anyone walked the Plata from beginning of January through the end of February ? If so what was the weather and temperatures you encountered and how difficult was it to find lodging ?

Today the municipal albergue in Mombuey was closed - no contact information on the door, no answer at the house named by Gronze as the keyholder. A private albergue close by was also closed but its owner at least tried but failed to contact the municipal hospitalero for me.
The guy who has the key for the municipal albergue in Mombuey is deaf.
... On my way into Mombuey at around 6pm (getting dark - end of November), I met a friendly local family who took me to the door of the owner of the private albergue. The owner said that she couldn't accommodate me and she seemed rather put out. I guess I should have called to reserve a place or something. She told me I should go to the municipal.
I called the number for the municipal albergue - No Answer. I went to the albergue itself. Locked up. A local told me to ring the bell of a door across the street. No answer at that door. I was about to give up, when an old guy came to help me. He rang the bell, banged on the door, then let himself in and shouted upstairs ... and eventually the elderly man with they key to the albergue appeared.
In the morning, I broke a bootlace. Thought I'd need to wait for the shoe shop to open - but a local told me to bang on the door. Sure enough, the owner let me in early to get a new lace. I'm not a person who typically enjoys it when things don't work "according to the rules," and I'm not usually bold and assertive like that, so there's something about Mombuey that ought to make me feel a little awkward, but I really like it...
It reminded me of inaka in Japan, where it was considered polite to open the front door and shout "gomen yasu" to get the attention of the owners (or gomen kudasai in standard Japanese) as long as the door isn't locked and you don't go further than the genkan. Try it next time you're in Shikoku.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Stayed at Hotel Medina G in 2017 and it was good.

Completely agree, Bar Los Imigrantes has gone downhill to a shocking degree.

Though I have not stayed there overnight this time (I did in 2009), I can not agree on this negative sight.

Yes, things have changed. The old owner has apparently suffered a stroke. Nevertheless he was walking around in the bar, cleaning the tables.

The son was doing the bar. We stopped there for a coffee, were served promptly and offered "an aperitivo" with the coffee. We could chose from tortilla, a cake, churros. This was the first time that I was offered a "Tapa" with my coffee. I took the churros (2 pieces), my friend took the cake (a big slice). Both were freshly made and very good. As far as I remember they charged 1,20 € or 1,40 € for the coffee, which was really good value. We had another one.

We arrived there by noon, so the "comedor" was not open yet. But as far as I could see, it was still tidy and many local people were coming there for a drink and a tapa. Spanish friends stayed there for lunch and they liked the "menú del día". It was so plenty, that they took a siesta of 2 hours at the picknick-site outside the village and arrived at Carcaboso by 19.30 h.

BC
Alexandra

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back