• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter and the Napolean Route

Beeks

Time of past OR future Camino
(2019) only 2 weeks available! St. Jean PDP - Pamplona, then Sarria - SDC with the family,
We depart on April 10 from SJPdP to Orisson, then next day to Roncesvalles.

General question: How has the winter been in the Pyrenees? Yes, cold. I mean... Severe? Mild? Typical?

I remember a few posts describing last winter as pretty severe. I know the route traditionally opens April 1, it's impossible to predict the weather, it will be cold, there will probably be snow on the ground, to check with the Pilgrim's Office before we leave, prepare for sunny skies to near blizzard conditions, conditions can change rapidly, be prepared for the Valcarlos Route... :eek:

Just wondering what conditions have been like so far. Just curious if you've walked it recently what your impression has been.

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Recently I read "The Chocolate Pilgrim" who began her journey over the Pyrenees on April 19th - the first day the Napoleon Route was open that particular year. I took note of that fact because it happens to be the date I hike from St. Jean Pied de Port to Orisson and then on to Roncesvalles the following day. In case of snow, I wonder if there is a way to get from Orisson to the Valcarlos route without having to backtrack. I have a paid reservation at Orisson for April 19th and am really looking forward to staying there because of my happy memories of our stay there in 2015.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Recently I read "The Chocolate Pilgrim" who began her journey over the Pyrenees on April 19th - the first day the Napoleon Route was open that particular year. I took note of that fact because it happens to be the date I hike from St. Jean Pied de Port to Orisson and then on to Roncesvalles the following day. In case of snow, I wonder if there is a way to get from Orisson to the Valcarlos route without having to backtrack. I have a paid reservation at Orisson for April 19th and am really looking forward to staying there because of my happy memories of our stay there in 2015.
For ways to get from Orisson to Valcarlos see

Good luck and Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What a delightful non-answer! ;)

Pardon a first-timer's curiosity. I'm not "sweating" anything. Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post.

I was just wondering if the season has been colder than usual, as cold as usual, or a bit warmer than usual.

And yes, I know the Camino will provide. 😅

Right now in Roncesvalles a high of 11c and a low of 2c and cloudy. Tomorrow about the same, and raining.

For starters, April 19th is my birthday...just sayin', so a great day for you to start! My Camino friend was staying at Orrison a few years ago in mid April. A bad snowstorm blew through and special transport was arranged at that time to take everyone to Valcarlos. I assume the same holds true for 2019. I have chosen the Valcarlos route purposely two times and love it...no regrets!
Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @Beeks ! Of course you are curious and of course you know that any answer will not tell you anything about the weather on the pass and the conditions of the trail on the pass on 10 April 2019. There are usually pilgrims reporting terrible blizzards and mile high snow when it happens to snow near SJPP and Roncesvalles but otherwise we hear little about winter in general in the area 🙂.

But while you are waiting for the day of departure you can watch the snow melt or fall from far away. Google for webcam Iraty and webcam Somport. The Iraty webcam station is located about 20 km from the Route Napoleon at altitude 1000 m which corresponds to the Ibaneta pass on the Valcarlos Route. Somport is about 65 km from the Route Napoleon and it is, together with Candanchu on the Spanish side, a ski resort in winter. There are several webcams but I didn't check at which altitude. One I think is at 1600 m with a view over the valley (the Route Napoleon reaches 1400 m at its highest point). These webcams also allow you to see conditions over a period of time, like the last 24 hours, the last month or the last year.

Follow the advice of the pilgrims office about the condition of the trail at altitude on the day. You can't see it from below.

Last edited:
Here is the website for the pilgrim's office in Saint Jean. A very nice place with gracious volunteers. The site has the current and projected weather as well and you can email them.

Here is the website for the pilgrim's office in Saint Jean. A very nice place with gracious volunteers. The site has the current and projected weather as well and you can email them.
That's actually the website of the Tourist Office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port ;). The forecast is for the valley, both in SJPP and Roncesvalles. If I remember correctly, the pilgrims office has a daily printout of the weather forecast for the pass (top of Route Napoleon). The difference can be considerable, for example today it will be around 15 °C during the day in SJPP and 8 °C on the pass, while on Wednesday and Thursday it is likely to be 10 °C in SJPP and 2 °C on the pass and because of the wind chill factor it is likely to feel like -2 °C. And there might be some snowflakes on the pass during the night and even in the morning and of course none in the valley.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
(...) The difference can be considerable, for example today it will be around 15 °C during the day in SJPP and 8 °C on the pass, while on Wednesday and Thursday it is likely to be 10 °C in SJPP and 2 °C on the pass and because of the wind chill factor it is likely to feel like -2 °C. And there might be some snowflakes on the pass during the night and even in the morning and of course none in the valley.

But if that is the weather up there, I would be pretty relieved :)

Just don't forget about the condition of the trail in early April.
Early April is in 3 weeks, so it could be like today or tomorrow. Or slightly warmer or colder. But this seems all in an acceptable range for me. Slight zub-zero with windchill is something I can cope with ... even with the light clothing I am going to bring.
The only question is indeed how much snow is still on the ground and what condition that snow is in.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The only question is indeed how much snow is still on the ground and what condition that snow is in.
Yes. My point is that there are many people on this trip who have "never done anything like this before". They ought to be aware that the weather of the day is not the only factor, in addition to their physical fitness, their stamina and their clothing and other equipment. If the trail is still very muddy or if there is still a lot of snow in same places it will have an impact for them.

Yes. My point is that there are many people on this trip who have "never done anything like this before". They ought to be aware that the weather of the day is not the only factor, in addition to their physical fitness, their stamina and their clothing and other equipment. If the trail is still very muddy or if there is still a lot of snow in same places it will have an impact for them.
I totally agree, I was not suggesting to extrapolate from what I think acceptable for me to what might be wise for others. :) Words of warning are certainly appropriate!
Where I live we have snow for 6 months each year, so I know the limits. Others might not.

That's actually the website of the Tourist Office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port ;). The forecast is for the valley, both in SJPP and Roncesvalles. If I remember correctly, the pilgrims office has a daily printout of the weather forecast for the pass (top of Route Napoleon). The difference can be considerable, for example today it will be around 15 °C during the day in SJPP and 8 °C on the pass, while on Wednesday and Thursday it is likely to be 10 °C in SJPP and 2 °C on the pass and because of the wind chill factor it is likely to feel like -2 °C. And there might be some snowflakes on the pass during the night and even in the morning and of course none in the valley.
Does the pilgrim's office have an actual website with daily reports as to whether the Napoleon route is closed? I have never had to check before because I have only walked the route during the summer and the one time I did it during colder weather I walked the ValCarlos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I totally agree, I was not suggesting to extrapolate from what I think acceptable for me to what might be wise for others. :) Words of warning are certainly appropriate!
Where I live we have snow for 6 months each year, so I know the limits. Others might not.
I would think that if the Napoleon route is deemed by the authorities to be safe enough for pilgrim travel you will have no problems. Problems in the sense of conditions of the route itself. Mud, snow etc. Even then, that would only be an issue on the unimproved portions of the route.
Now for those pilgrims already not in good condition or physically limited and who would have a difficult walk on either route even in the best of weather, mud, snow etc will only add to their problems.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back