• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino Equipment Dilemma.

Malachiuri

CaminoTranquilo
Time of past OR future Camino
Not a serious one tho...

I have my loadout determined and have begun my training hikes. So far things seem ok, my winter camino pack is running about 16lbs without water which is right in my target zone for comfort. There is room in my pack for one more comfort item, both weigh about the same(within a couple ounces) and Im super up in the air which to take, or neither.

So for those who have walked a winter camino, should I consider taking:

MRS Pocket Rocket 2 camp stove kit, so I can make hot coffee or a quick hot soup pack between closed bars.

Or...

My comfy down hiking blanket. I sleep hot and have a silk liner and super warm clothing for those times that albergues don't have blankets, but darnit I love my snuggly blanket.

Or...

Neither.

Thanks all in advance. 79 days to go.

M

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here we go.

I have around 1300 miles experience with this equipment list. The only things I have added for my winter camino is a puffer coat, water/wind proof mittens to go over my liners and some nifty rain pants to try instead of my usual kilt. Without out the new puffer coat I am comfortable hiking in temps down to 20F with moderate wind. I am hoping the puffer gives me a tad more insurance.

Clothing
2 Columbia Silver Ridge zip off pants/shorts
2 BCG tech T-shirts
1 Columbia long sleeve travel shirt / buttondown
2 Exofficio underwear
2 pair Smartwool PhD running socks(liners)
2 pair med weight merino wool hiking socks(random brand off Amazon)
2 bandannas
Headsweats running hat
Columbia fleece half zip pullover
E.E. Torrid Apex Jacket (synthetic puffer)
Merino wool buff
TurtleFur Merino hat
Merino wool gloves
Tech glove liners
Wind/rain proof mitten covers
Shemagh

Rain Gear
Marmot Precip Jacket
E.E. Copperfield Wind Pant / Or rain kilt. Undecided
Rocky Gortex Socks

Toiletry bag
Personal grooming stuff
Laundry bag
Travel towel

Backpack and such
REI Trail 40 Daypack
Blue desert hydration system / 28mm bottle adapter
Headlamp
Safety blinker
REI Flash trekking poles

Misc bag
Phone charger and cables
Small batt bank
Medications

Footwear
Merrell All Out Blaze 2
Sandals / shower and hang out

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another vote for blanket and not the pocket rocket.

Iā€™d also consider dumping one pair of pants, 2 pairs of socks and adding a pair of Merino long underwear which help with warmth during the cold days and add a good bit of warmth when they turn off the heater in the Albergue at night, especially when at the higher altitudes.

Also, re: water system keep in mind that many public fountains are turned off in the winter and most small stores during the day were closed so a 2 litre bladder is never a bad idea. I went numerous days without finding water during the day (did get hydrated each night however). Might also consider a light pair of ice trekkers if the weather turns white and sparkly shortly before you leave, saved my butt numerous times. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I have walked in winter before on sections of CF and CP. I would tip to taking the blanket but then I tip to cold and albergues do vary in heating and whether they have blankets. The stove might be a nice luxury on a couple of days when there are no bars. Having warmth and good water proof gear is the key to making it a pleasant camino. But I may look again at the hat, buff, bandanas - as it looks if I was packing my kit it would be a little too much

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks all, I really appreciate the recommendations.

I know my list has what seems like a lot of duplicate items, but it all has a reason behind it. Mainly, I sweat like a horse in all temperatures. =)

My head always sports a bandanna and a running hat, my feets always have a liner sock and heavier hiking sock, etc. Double layering keeps me sane.

I listed 2 pairs of pants, but really it is 2 shorts and 1 set of the zip on legs in case I need to attach them.

Totally forgot my merino base layer bottoms and traction covers for my boots in my initial list...

So, at this point I have decided to ditch them both. If I really need someting I can duck into a Planet Aqua or Decathlon.

M

Are the clothing items in your listed INCLUSIVE of what you are wearing at the time, or in excess of what you are wearing? That also makes a difference.

Or, did I miss this in my reading....?

Excellent point, I should have noted that. The list is inclusive of what Im wearing.

My pack without water is only 14.8lbs / 6.7kg, so my original question has nothing to do with weight or storage capacity of my pack, just the possibility of a luxory cold weather item since my other caminos have been spring or summer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As long as your clothing coverage system allows for removing cold wet clothes and replacing them with dry clothes at the end of your walk ...

With winter walking, does your first aid kit include an emergency reflective blanket for any encounters with an immobilizing accident?

Yes indeed. Always have a spare, dry set ready to put on when needed.

I do have an emergency bivy sack that is currently in my hunting backpack that will move over to my camino pack before I leave. It only weighs 3.1oz so I don't notice it much.

Your kit sounds complete. The quilt sounds essential we walked a winter walk and used a 40 degree bag. It was well needed some of the albergues are mimimumally heated. The only change i have made a pack less than 2 pounds and dropped my base weight to less than 9 pounds. We never had problems finding open bars except early mornings yet coffee was available in places.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
the down blanket

Personally I find buffalo to be very cost and weight effective.
Does the USA have Buffalo stockists?

Not a serious one tho...

I have my loadout determined and have begun my training hikes. So far things seem ok, my winter camino pack is running about 16lbs without water which is right in my target zone for comfort. There is room in my pack for one more comfort item, both weigh about the same(within a couple ounces) and Im super up in the air which to take, or neither.

So for those who have walked a winter camino, should I consider taking:

MRS Pocket Rocket 2 camp stove kit, so I can make hot coffee or a quick hot soup pack between closed bars.

Or...

My comfy down hiking blanket. I sleep hot and have a silk liner and super warm clothing for those times that albergues don't have blankets, but darnit I love my snuggly blanket.

Or...

Neither.

Thanks all in advance. 79 days to go.

M
Take the blanket youā€™ll find somewhere for coffee or the albergue will have a stove.

the down blanket

Personally I find buffalo to be very cost and weight effective.
Does the USA have Buffalo stockists?

I will take a look at Buffalo next time Im down near Saurat as it looks like there is a retailer there.

The quilt I have is fine, just not sold on taking it yet.

M

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked in winter before on sections of CF and CP. I would tip to taking the blanket but then I tip to cold and albergues do vary in heating and whether they have blankets. The stove might be a nice luxury on a couple of days when there are no bars. Having warmth and good water proof gear is the key to making it a pleasant camino. But I may look again at the hat, buff, bandanas - as it looks if I was packing my kit it would be a little too much
Hi, Iā€™m ready to set off my Camino French way on 10th of Nov. Did you know if there is any rucksack transportation to destination during winter time? I have checked so many famous agents but no service during this season. Iā€™m worried my pack pain issue. And would like to find daily rucksack transportion.
If you happened to know, please share it. Thanks

Hi, Iā€™m ready to set off my Camino French way on 10th of Nov. Did you know if there is any rucksack transportation to destination during winter time?
I saw Jacotrans picking up packs in SahagĆŗn a few days ago. I was surprised because I had heard that no service operates during November except for Correos from Sarria on. I asked the person whose pack they picked up about it, and she said if you call them, you can set it up, even though it says online they donā€™t run in November.

I saw Jacotrans picking up packs in SahagĆŗn a few days ago. I was surprised because I had heard that no service operates during November except for Correos from Sarria on. I asked the person whose pack they picked up about it, and she said if you call them, you can set it up, even though it says online they donā€™t run in November.
Hello,
Yes, I just got email feedback from Jacotrans.
They cab help but price is 25-35 Euro per rucksack,even just 20KM distance.
well... I will try to Carry on my own.
If really needs support, I will call them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). Iā€™m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.