• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino Francés video (arrived January 6th, 2021)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all, I completed 13 days on the Camino Francés (starting in Astorga on Christmas day) on January 6th, 2021. It was an unforgettable solo journey with some crazy snow days, especially on the way to O Cebreiro (day 5). I documented the experience using my GoPro and edited all the footage into a movie. Includes timestamps for each day in the description and closed captions. If you have any questions I'd love to answer! Hope you enjoy it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-4Ky_hcyBw
Excellent, I really enjoyed seeing this part of the Camino in winter though I would not walk it myself at this time of year as I really don't like the cold and rain and snow! But good on you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all, I completed 13 days on the Camino Francés (starting in Astorga on Christmas day) on January 6th, 2021. It was an unforgettable solo journey with some crazy snow days, especially on the way to O Cebreiro (day 5). I documented the experience using my GoPro and edited all the footage into a movie. Includes timestamps for each day in the description and closed captions. If you have any questions I'd love to answer! Hope you enjoy it!
congrats, well done and thanks for sharing. a very special endeavour indeed!

Thank you! I wish a could have included more of the food but the video was getting a little too long, so I decided to leave most of it out. I tried to eat mostly local dishes- plenty of pulpo, caldo gallego, bacalao for dinner, usually just a sandwich and chocolate on the road during the day.
Hi, David;

In my Army time, I served in Arctic Norway (being from high up in Arctic Norway, it goes without saying, really...), specializing in winter warfare, and I was also member of instructor teams, teaching soldiers from other NATO countries how to survive in a winter campaign. You have done a lot of things perfectly:
Having plenty of seafood (Bacalao, pulpo, etc.) which must have helped you both with proteins against the cold as well as building muscle stamina for the daily walks. BTW: Tomorrow I will make my own bacalao up here :cool:

As for your packing list; Your equipment items into your backpack; I wouldn't have changed much if I were to stay outside fighting in a winter war. IMHO, I doubt I could have done better; would only have added some warfare items. As I see it, you were perfectly equipped for that winter walk. Well done, indeed.

I have one question for you: Did you check the weight of your backpack? how many kgs?

Edit:

A couple of tips:
Wet socks: Put each sock in your armpit at night: Dry and warm in the morning. You will smell sh!t, but you will have warm, dry socks & feet.
Wet shoes: Put them in the bottom of your sleeping bag at night: Will be warm, dry and soft in the morning. You will smell sh!t, but you will have warm, soft and comfortable shoes in the morning. Do not put paper inside: It blocks vaporizing of water. But use it before going to bed.

It is incredible how much heat your body will transmit during a long night.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, David;

In my Army time, I served in Arctic Norway (being from high up in Arctic Norway, it goes without saying, really...), specializing in winter warfare, and I was also member of instructor teams, teaching soldiers from other NATO countries how to survive in a winter campaign. You have done a lot of things perfectly:
Having plenty of seafood (Bacalao, pulpo, etc.) which must have helped you both with proteins against the cold as well as building muscle stamina for the daily walks. BTW: Tomorrow I will make my own bacalao up here :cool:

As for your packing list; Your equipment items into your backpack; I wouldn't have changed much if I were to stay outside fighting in a winter war. IMHO, I doubt I could have done better; would only have added some warfare items. As I see it, you were perfectly equipped for that winter walk. Well done, indeed.

I have one question for you: Did you check the weight of your backpack? how many kgs?

Edit:

A couple of tips:
Wet socks: Put each sock in your armpit at night: Dry and warm in the morning. You will smell sh!t, but you will have warm, dry socks & feet.
Wet shoes: Put them in the bottom of your sleeping bag at night: Will be warm, dry and soft in the morning. You will smell sh!t, but you will have warm, soft and comfortable shoes in the morning. Do not put paper inside: It blocks vaporizing of water. But use it before going to bed.

It is incredible how much heat your body will transmit during a long night.
Glad to know I was doing something right, and thanks for those tips, news to me! And I actually decided not to weigh my pack beforehand because I didn't want to overthink it. I knew what I thought I needed and my body handled the full pack fine leading up to the trip so I wasn't too worried about exact weight, especially because I wasn't doing crazy long days.

Fantastic! I walked it a few times but never in winter. O'Cebreiro is tough enough without the snow ... it must have been unbelievably hard and fun! Geat video. Got the rendez vous for the vaccine so itchin' to hit the road. (looking at doing the Italian section of the Via Francigena). Thanks for your great video!

Hi, and thank you for the film, interesting to watch caminos off season. Although, I have some reflections/questions: The filming; did you place the camera, walked back, passed it and then walked back again? It means you walked a much longer distance? On the negative side: It seems that you like dogs? I don't. And also a question - that goes for all videos: Why all that music, for me it's disturbing. By the way, it would be interesting for some info regarding hostels, prices etc. When I have been walking the camino I have preferred hotels so it is easier to wash, sleep quietly and so on, but maybe that is no problem in winter. Thank you, and see you on another camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, and thank you for the film, interesting to watch caminos off season. Although, I have some reflections/questions: The filming; did you place the camera, walked back, passed it and then walked back again? It means you walked a much longer distance? On the negative side: It seems that you like dogs? I don't. And also a question - that goes for all videos: Why all that music, for me it's disturbing. By the way, it would be interesting for some info regarding hostels, prices etc. When I have been walking the camino I have preferred hotels so it is easier to wash, sleep quietly and so on, but maybe that is no problem in winter. Thank you, and see you on another camino!
Hey, thanks for watching! Yes, that is what I had to do, so yes I did have to walk more but that's okay it was worth it for me, I was not in a hurry. And yes I do love dogs they definitely helped my energy levels every day. As far as the music goes I wanted to choose something peaceful that wouldn't get in the way of the visuals too much, sorry you didn't like it. You can always mute the video and put on the closed captions if it bothers you too much. As far as hostels go the only problem was finding then open ones. They are very cheap and in the winter (especially this winter) very private as well. I only ever had one other person in the hostel with me, so washing up and noise and space was never an issue in the slightest. Cheers.

What a beautiful, beautiful Camino, David. Thank you so very much for all the trouble you went to in the filming and then for letting us watch it.
did you know you would have this huge crowd of Peregrinos walking silently along with you? I loved the way you played to the camera, great fun. Am so envious yet glad that I walked the Frances in September October. It was a hard day up to O’Cebreiro without the snow!
Am wondering if, now that you’re home, there is a particular day, place, time that stands out as extra special?
thank you again!

What a beautiful, beautiful Camino, David. Thank you so very much for all the trouble you went to in the filming and then for letting us watch it.
did you know you would have this huge crowd of Peregrinos walking silently along with you? I loved the way you played to the camera, great fun. Am so envious yet glad that I walked the Frances in September October. It was a hard day up to O’Cebreiro without the snow!
Am wondering if, now that you’re home, there is a particular day, place, time that stands out as extra special?
thank you again!
Hi, thank you for watching and for the kind words! The most memorable day was easily the climb to O Cebreiro due to the spectacular beauty of the snowy views and the exhaustion and relief and gratification and so many other emotions I felt upon arrival. I also met some super friendly and cute dogs that day that I won't soon forget either. Another moment that really sticks out is my arrival to Santiago. Literally as I was crossing the street into the old town of Santiago a guy pulls up behind me on his bike. Turns out he was finishing a camino that he started 23 days prior in the middle of France. Keep in mind I only had encountered 4 other peregrinos the entire trip, only one of which I had an extended interaction with and none of which I walked a single meter with. So it was a crazy coincidence that us two (we're the same age too) would finish our two very different caminos at the exact same time together. We walked the final couple hundred meters and spent the next couple hours together too before he hopped on his bike and headed on to Finisterre. Was cool to finally experience some of the friendship and camaraderie that usually makes the camino so special.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, thank you for watching and for the kind words! The most memorable day was easily the climb to O Cebreiro due to the spectacular beauty of the snowy views and the exhaustion and relief and gratification and so many other emotions I felt upon arrival. I also met some super friendly and cute dogs that day that I won't soon forget either. Another moment that really sticks out is my arrival to Santiago. Literally as I was crossing the street into the old town of Santiago a guy pulls up behind me on his bike. Turns out he was finishing a camino that he started 23 days prior in the middle of France. Keep in mind I only had encountered 4 other peregrinos the entire trip, only one of which I had an extended interaction with and none of which I walked a single meter with. So it was a crazy coincidence that us two (we're the same age too) would finish our two very different caminos at the exact same time together. We walked the final couple hundred meters and spent the next couple hours together too before he hopped on his bike and headed on to Finisterre. Was cool to finally experience some of the friendship and camaraderie that usually makes the camino so special.
Thanks for replying, David.
Truly remarkable to finish your solitary Camino walking with another peregrino the final steps to the cathedral. Extraordinarily special for both of you surely.
so, which Camino next and when, summertime maybe?
Ultreia et Suseia
Shona

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for replying, David.
Truly remarkable to finish your solitary Camino walking with another peregrino the final steps to the cathedral. Extraordinarily special for both of you surely.
so, which Camino next and when, summertime maybe?
Ultreia et Suseia
Shona
I live in Huelva right now so I was hoping to do the Camino del Sur from Huelva to Zafra over the Easter holiday, but unfortunately it looks like restrictions won't be loosened by then and I won't be able to cross into Extremadura, so I may just walk the first four days up to Aracena, I'm not sure. But by summer I'm afraid it will be too hot to enjoy this route, so I'm hoping by then the borders will be open and I can do two weeks on the coastal Portuguese route. Fingers crossed!

Yes, fingers crossed!
I hoped to walk the VdlP last year, then maybe this Spring, now hoping for perhaps the end of this year....surely borders will open at some point this year!
hope springs eternal!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back