• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter camino frances 2016

Sirpa

Hi

I'm planning winter camino 2016 from SJPdP to the Finisterre. Starting 22.02 and I have 6 weeks.
Where can I find complete packing list? I asume that it's little bit different than summer list.

What kind of boots/shoes and jackets people use?
I'm from Finland so snow and cold is not new for me :)

Gratefull for any advice. Have done Camino Frances spring 2013.

Best regards
Sirpa

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi

I'm planning winter camino 2016 from SJPdP to the Finisterre. Starting 22.02 and I have 6 weeks.
Where can I find complete packing list? I asume that it's little bit different than summer list.

What kind of boots/shoes and jackets people use?
I'm from Finland so snow and cold is not new for me :)

Gratefull for any advice. Have done Camino Frances spring 2013.

Best regards
Sirpa
Hola @Sirpa
Welcome to the forum. I haven't walked CF in winter but check out forum member @mspath blogs & posts on that. As I can remember she's the most experienced autumn/winter peregrina(o) on this forum.
In resource section you can also find list of albergues opened in winter time. Happy planning!

Ultreia!

Hi Sirpa,

Be sure to check out these earlier Forum threads on winter expenses and walking in winter.

Any season can be a wonderful time to walk, but in winter you MUST be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. Learn to read the sky for possible storms, ask locals for advice and take every precaution.

Sillydoll who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking. Other good accounts of winter walking by a Forum member Kialoa3 are his 2010 and later blogs

In bad weather many steep descents on the camino would be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads might be necessary. Winter 2012/13 the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate; read more here about this hazardous situation

Other difficult stretches after storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, O Cebreiro.

Not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which are is often most sincere. Most will usually be heated and/or have blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage.

When walking in late autumn/winter only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. It is easy to walk alone and in smaller albergues you might be the only pilgrim.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. Even late November 2012 the climb up to O Cebreiro was packed with snow. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms here. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

Most of us who walk in late autumn and winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Margaret

What kind of sleeping bag you use on winter camino?
I have Halti sportslite long 800. Comfort +9, transition +5, risk -8.

Was reading your packing list; :) what is muffler, tried to google but got only car parts ;-)

6,5kg WAU !!

Best regards
Sirpa

What kind of sleeping bag you use on winter camino?
I have Halti sportslite long 800. Comfort +9, transition +5, risk -8.

Was reading your packing list; :) what is muffler, tried to google but got only car parts ;-)...

My sleeping bag is a 10 year old mummy ecumenically named Little Bouddha, made by Carinthia and filled with down. Comfort + 9. Weight 880 grams. Inside I use a polyester mummy sheet sack. Sleeping on VERY cold nights clad in a long sleeve thermal shirt plus leggings while wearing loose socks and a wooly hat the over all effect is akin to Goldylocks Grandma!

A muffler is an ascot-like wrap-around neck scarf.

Besides gaiters for snowy winter walking I would also wear strap-on crampons for boots.

Happy planning!

Margaret Meredith

Hi Sirpa
I walked Jan/Feb on the CF and loved every moment and never found it too cold however I am from Canada so like you am used to cold weather. For 'extra' gear I really only needed some extra layers: Columbia base layer t-shirt, North Face light-weight fleece, Mountain Hardwear long-sleeved shirt, an Under Amour long-sleeve turtle neck, Columbia Omni-Heat leggings, Columbia convertible trekking pants, North Face waterproof pants and a water-proof Columbia shell. With all these layers I could dress for any weather and I truly had most every type of weather: thigh-deep snow on a Route Valcarlos alternative path, monsoon like rains, -5C morning leaving Ages, hot sunny days on the Meseta when only a t-shirt was necessary and pretty much everything combination in between all those.

Some other gear I also had: Outdoor Research windproof hat, OR waterproof mountaineering gloves but the most useful piece of equipment had to be my merino wool buff.

I used a -7C Asolo down-filled sleeping bag. One night was sub-zero in the Albergue so happy to have that bag.

For boots I wore Lowa Renegade GTX Mid's combined with smart-wool socks and feet were warm,dry and blister-free the entire Camino. My trekking poles saved me on more than one occasion as icy roads, slick mud, etc were not uncommon. I they are great for any Camino experience but especially in the winter.

I will note that for the first week I also carried a pair of crampons for walking over the Pyrenees and a bivy sack as I knew there was a lot of snow and few other Pilgrims around. However, I never needed them and once I was safely over the Pyrenees I mailed all that ahead to myself in SdC so I didn't have to carry the weight.

I am planning a Nov 2016 Camino next so will hope to see your comments when you return.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Jordon

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back