• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino Ingles

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
In summer 2016 my husband and I walked the CF for 45 days. In winter 2017 we want to come back to Spain in December and walk the CI and the last 100 km of the CF. We had to stop just 3 days short of Santiago last summer because my husband became very ill with food poisoning so he wants some closure. I think we have time for both as we plan to arrive in Santiago on Dec. 13 and go home around New Years Day. I see that all the Xunta albergues will be open in the winter even if we have to call for a key. Of those of you who may have walked the CI and the last of the CF in winter, what advice do you give?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are planning to stay in the Xunta albergues do not assume that the albergues will be heated to your normal comfort level or that there will be blankets available. I walked with a friend in January 2015 and we had some chilly nights which luckily we were prepared for. Do take a warm sleeping bag.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks MS Path and Bradypus,
I have looked at many of the winter camino posts and we will definitely be dressing in layers and carrying warm sleeping bags. One question I have on the CI is will there be enough places open in winter for us to get our 2 per day stamps? I think we will break it down into 7 or 8 days of walking for the CI. I'm also wondering about meals and eating. I know the Xunta albergues usually have nice kitchens, but no cooking utensils. Will there be places to get a pilgrim meal in the evening and perhaps a coffee or something mid-day or should we anticipate that most places are only operating in the warmer months?
Janet

Last edited:
Hola - on the Camino Ingles there will be no difficulty finding food/restaurants for most of the time. However 24 and 25 December sees most places closing. I've messaged you - let's keep in touch and when it is more clear where you will be during this period we can look at options.

John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola - on the Camino Ingles there will be no difficulty finding food/restaurants for most of the time. However 24 and 25 December sees most places closing. I've messaged you - let's keep in touch and when it is more clear where you will be during this period we can look at options.

John
Thank you! I'm the husband part J Willhaus (Janet) mentioned. Excited to return to the Camino. Appreciate your help.
Phil

As an update, Phil fell down a flight of steps in July and is recovering slowly with the help of PT. He is using a knee brace and a cane which is a step up from crutches the first month. As a result we won't walk this winter, but the exciting news is that we've completed hospitelero training. We have asked for and received a posting and will be volunteering in Zamora Dec 16 to 31. We anticipate that the traffic may be lighter, but maybe more personal over the holidays.

Ufff...your fall sounds pretty crazy, Phil! Rest and recover well (you got this!) and hope you and Janet have a wonderful time hospitalero-ing in December.
Take care,
Faith

Ufff...your fall sounds pretty crazy, Phil! Rest and recover well (you got this!) and hope you and Janet have a wonderful time hospitalero-ing in December.
Take care,
Faith
Thank you Faith! I'm doing better than the physical therapist thought I would be doing at this point.

We are really looking forward to "hospitalero-ing" in December! It will be a wonderful time to see the Camino from a different viewpoint. We really want to create a welcoming environment for pilgrims to experience.

Phil

Sounds like you two will be on the Ingles at the same time as me. Maybe we will meet up? Certainly I will look out for you as you pass me at warp speed on the first or second day!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Caroline,
We were not able to walk last year due to Phil's surgery so instead we were Hospitaleros in Zamora on the Via de la Plata. This winter we will be hospitaleros in Granon on the Camino Frances. Phil is doing some walking now. He is in Najera tonight and will walk on to Granon to take over at the albergue. I'll be joining him on Dec 17 after I can get away from my work duties. When we are finished there on Jan. 1 we'll start walking to Burgos and spend a few more days on the Camino Frances before we need to fly back home. Weather so far has been pretty good for Phil although I think there is rain in the forecast for tomorrow.
Janet

I'm sorry you could not walk it last year. That's happened to me as well with medical problems meaning I could not do a walk I wanted to back in 2008 (The VDLP in fact) and I didn't walk another camino for 9 years.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.