• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino Pack List - Suggestions?

Leanan-sidhe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (June, 2012) (Dec/Jan, 2013/14) Camino Portuguese (Summer, 2014)
So I’m going on my first winter camino and I thought I share my pack list, I should add that I wear XL to XXL so a lot of my clothes are quite a bit heavier than if you are a svelte S :rolleyes:.
The weight also includes everything (except water) I’ll be wearing and / or carrying as, in my opinion, it doesn’t really matter if it’s in your pack or on your skin it still needs to go up the mountain! In total I find the list adds up to about 3kg (6.6 lb) more than my summer pack list … for anyone having experience in winter caminos I would welcome any suggestions! Weight is in grams; 100g is about 3.5 oz ... for my American friends ;) And sorry for the strange formating, it seems spread sheets don't go well with the forum format.

Big stuff total: 3481 notes

Backpack 1100 Ospray Talon 44

Backpack cover 90

Sleeping bag 760 Firelight 450

Hiking boots 924 Merrell, with GroeTex

crocs 277

Backpack rain cover 150

Clothes total: 4369

Rain Jacket 800

Rain Trousers 200

1 T-shirts 107

2 Long sleeved fleece 694

Vest 303

2 thermal tops 381 1 merino / 1 synthetic

2 thermal bottoms 330 1 merino / 1 synthetic

2 Long Trousers + belt 998 1 is a thermal hiking pant by Columbia as I get cold easily unfortunately it weighs 650g but so worth it!

3 Knickers 75 Ex-officio … just love them!

2 Bras 110 No adjusters at the top of the shoulders or you will suffer

2 Socks thick 161 Bridgedale, about 30% wool so nice and warm even if they get wet

1 thin socks 30 For sleeping

gloves 50

balaclava 32

hat 45

dry bag - green 53 Yes I have dry bags for all my things, I don’t take the risk!

Wash Bag total: 563

Toothbrush 19

Toothpaste 36

Soap 60

Shampoo 43

Hairbrush 58

Skin cream 40

Nail clipper 42

Sun screen / lip balm 25

Deodorant 70

Copeed stick 24 vital against blisters!

Empty bag 37

anti-bug spray 65 Death to Bed Bugs!!!

Medication I need 45

2 Hiker towels 148 1 for my hair as it’s very long, they are actually microfiber tea-towels

First Aid total: 536

Anti-diarrhoea / vomit meds

Plasters/compeed

Bandage

Pain killers

10 dioralyte / vitamins Dioralyte is a must! Wouldn’t travel without it, ever!

Needle and thread/scissors

Emergency blanket I do not leave without it

Plaster tape

Bit of TCP

10 Safety Pins

Tampons

Antiseptic wipes

Vinyl gloves

Documents total: 700

Bank card

Cash

Emergency numbers

Health insurance

Passport

Pilgrim passport

Travel tickets

Journal

pens

Guidebook

2 wallets 1 for day use, one for stash and cards etc

Waterproof bags

Other 2618

Earplugs / mask 12

bum bag 165 To keep all vitals with me at all times, essential as a solo traveler

water bladder 168

Camera/Phone + Chargers 568

2 Head lamp + battery 154

walking stick + duct tape 350 i just wrap some around the poles

knife 40

spoon and fork 15 Spongebob baby spoon and fork, only 2 euro :D

Tupperware box 105

8 zip lock bags 10

Toilet paper 90

hand wipes 90

shewee 85 Yes I’m a girl, I don’t always want to expose my rear to the elements

water bottle 24

Games (ludo and cards) 90 My luxury because it’s getting dark early

dry bag - grey 44

food stuff 500

Filled back pack weight 9602

Total Weight 12807

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
That looks like a good list. My rucksack weighs 7.5kg and I expect sticks and clothes probably do come to 3 or 4 kg more.

The cold is quite extreme at the moment - for the first time, the water in my bottle froze as I was carrying it yesterday and the day before.

I haven't got a sleeping-bag, as every albergue I've ever stayed in has had blankets., but your's doesn't seem to weigh much.

I have 2 pairs of 1000 mile socks (which mostly work for me against blisters), 1 of ordinary and 1 of waterproof "sealskins" - the latter were a lifesaver on a couple of really sodden days in Galicia last year, as rain WILL get through the most goretexed covering eventually, but at least your feet are dry. Good zip-lock bags to keep dry spare clothes etc in the rucksack were another must.

For the torso I have a T-shirt, a base layer and 2 tops, all of merino wool. Despite the -4 temperatures and thick freezing fog, I haven't yet needed to use more than 3 layers - yesterday morning my top, like the trees, was covered in a thick hoar frost, without my being in the least uncomfortable. It's expensive but I've sort of added a new one each year over 3 winter caminos. My luxury for dark evenings in empty albergues has been a kindle, under 200g, I think. I also carry emergency food in case there's nowhere open - a chunk of cheese, some raisins etc, perhaps 500g - but that might not be a problem on the Francés.

Oh and you might need some sun glasses - when it does appear it can de dazzling

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola,

Looks like a very good list to me.
I am not sure you need two hiking long trousers.
I'd leave one home.
How about pajamas /jogging trousers for use inside after the daily walk?
A plastic cup.
Reusable plastic/nylon shopping bag. Good to sit on outside as well.
One headlamp should be enough.
Scarf?
Reflective strips/vest. Blinking bicycle lights?
Translation of your medications into Spanish.
I also would bring wool gloves with mitten over them, although mitten are a bit expensive.
Main thing in a winter Camino is to stay dry. :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I am taking a little square cut off yoga mat for sitting on. This gives insulation if you sit on concrete etc. I think the square I have weighs less than 10 trams from memory.

I am also taking 2 reflective bands that I can wear on my wrists, ankles or even my knees. I have also bought some reflective tape, and have put strips around my walking poles, on my pack, and when I get there might try and put it on my rain gear too.

I a!so going to take a pashminias as a scarf. Janet

Thanks everybody for the feedback so far!

the 2 headlaps are actually 1 headlamp and 2 small LED blinkers for my walking poles so I will be visible from the back while walking (also have a reflecitve bright yellow rain cover for the pack ... I shall be inducing eye cancer to any hiker behind me :eek:), the balacalva I have serves as a scarf too and to sit on I have a A4 padded envelope the plasic not paper version, weighs 10g and cheap enough to throw out.

Didn't think about sun glasses ... I never used the ones I had with me in the summer .... I will think about it and keep an eye on the weather and see if there is a lot of snow.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Interesting point about carrying sun glasses. I use Army issue "Sawfly" protective glasses (available through EBay) while walking. They come with 3 sets of lenses, sun, yellow low light and clear. I found the clear ideal when walking in snow/hail driven by a gale force wind last Winter.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.