• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WINTER CAMINO--please help

sergiy

Hello,
My girlfriend and I were thinking of walking the Camino from mid-December to mid-January. I was wondering if any of you knew what the weather would be like/anything else we should know and be prepared for on a winter Camino? (what clothes to bring, do we need a portable stove, will there be enough accommodations provided, will it be enjoyable at all/safe, are grocery stores going to be open)

Thank you in advance,

Sergiy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I walked the CF in January/February and didn't have any real issues with weather but be prepared for the cold. I used a multi-layer clothing system which worked well for me. The local support systems shops/cafes/bars were all open as normal. The aulbergie wardens will be able to advise what is open/available ahead of you on a daily basis. I didn't carry a stove as I ate out every day. Many aulbergies not heated and hot water sometimes in short supply. My only real problem was getting clothes dry.
Enjoy
Dael

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The weather is never predictable - winter, spring or summer. In the past few years there have been some vicious winters and some equally bitter springs in the north of Spain.
I have a post on my blog on walking in winter - with links to pilgrims' websites, photos, backpack lists for male and female etc. that I extended into April because of the snows and freezing temperatures. This is what Rebekah wrote about walking in winter:

December and January are the real bottom-out months on ALL the Caminos. Nothing is open, and there are NO fellow pilgrims to be seen some days... Reb (Moratinos)

Just hold thumbs for a mild winter!
http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2009/10/w ... inter.html

Hello,

You can read my CF winter camino blogs for 2007, 2008 and 2009 at allmycaminos.blogspot.com.
Mspath

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your blog - mscamino.blogspot.com - is the first link on my Winter Camino post! Should I change it?

Sil

Sil,
Allmycaminos.blogspot.com is the book format with chapters and maps of Mscamino.blogspot.com.
It seems easier to read since it is in chronological sequence. Check it out!
Margaret Meredith

If I can clarify my scary note about December and January:

I can only really speak for the meseta part of the camino, esp. the part that traverses Palencia. Things close down the week before Christmas, and stay pretty well closed right through the first week of the year. This includes albergues that claim to be "open all year." You really need to phone ahead and ensure you have a place to stay each night, because the weather can be quite nasty and the etapas up to 35 km. long.

Reb.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back