• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino Water

Malachiuri

CaminoTranquilo
Time of past OR future Camino
Howdy all,

I am preparing for a January camino and have a quick question about water in winter that all my searches have left unanswered.

Here in the midwest of the US the public water sources are typically closed down from October to April to avoid the possibility of freezing pipes.

Are the public water sources we all rely on so often along the Camino available during the winter? While I have no issues asking for water at bars and such, it is nice to have the fonts.

Thanks all,

M

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting... we would not have that danger of pipes freezing. This said, there are few and distant intermediate services in the WILDEST Camino you can take in Galicia, since quite a few of the small towns are simply not populated. Just plan things ahead, and enjoy an amazing Camino, possibly with some of the best breads in the whole of Spain. Beautiful!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for the great info.

After walking a summer and then a spring camino, I am really looking forward to the rigors of a winter trek. My happiest times are hiking through snow and sleet and I hope the Camino does not disappoint me.

On the down side, I am used to a base weight for my pack of under 10lbs. Winter gear is pushing it over 13lbs. Darnit...

M

I had a great deal of trouble finding open fountains in Jan 2018 for the first 7-10 days out of Roncesvalles. They were all shut off and because it was winter I had trouble finding open stores or bars outside the major cities. Some days I had to resort to eating snow because I was getting really thirsty/dehydrated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.