• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino

benrie

Hi Everybody, will be starting my camino on 19 Dec from Logrono, was forced to take a bus the last time I on was on the Camino in 2011 due to time restraint. I am planning to complete the part that I had missed out. It will be a bit more challenging with the weather and such but I think it is going to be alrightHave a few challenges with logistics
1.) will be arriving quite late on 18th dec to Santander(22:30 to Santander) and need to find a place to stay. 2) Check in to the pilgrims office in Logrono and get my passport on 19th and start walking.
3) Plan to complete Logrono-Astorrga in 9-10 days, is it possible or am I being too optimistic.
4) Want to take some form of transport from Astorga to Santander for my way back home.

Love all the input I can get, Have been reading up on the threads on the forum regarding winter camino..

Best Regards.
Richie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are in for a challenge. Go for it.
Christmas and New Years will be like no other for you.
Take a good sleeping bag! I bet the albergues are cold.

I find getting the balance of layers of clothing right for working in the winter a challenge.
Too many layers and I become wet with sweat. Not enough layers and I get cold.
I undress so that I don't sweat and carry a couple warm layers to pull on when I stop outside.

You will work out your own right combination of layers.

Buen Camino
David, Victoria, Canada.

Thank you David,
Yeah it is going to be a challenge with the gear, especially so with the shoes, was out yesterday to
look for a suitable pair, Tried on few of the technical shoes with goretex but found them to be too cumbersome and
heavy.Will try out some more today.

Gud är god och människor snälla.
God is good and people kind;-))

Best regards.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are in for a challenge. Go for it.
Christmas and New Years will be like no other for you.
Take a good sleeping bag! I bet the albergues are cold.

I find getting the balance of layers of clothing right for working in the winter a challenge.
Too many layers and I become wet with sweat. Not enough layers and I get cold.
I undress so that I don't sweat and carry a couple warm layers to pull on when I stop outside.

You will work out your own right combination of layers.

Buen Camino
David, Victoria, Canada.

Logrono to Astorga in 9 10 days, 350 km, so 10 straight 35 km. you will need the good boots. Enjoy the snow

The weather is going to be the decider, if you feel comfortable walking 35km+ every day then it is normally doable, but dont underestimate the ability of inclement weather to blow your plans out of the water. If it does there are probably going to be some good walking companionships formed with the pilgrims around you. Good Luck.

Try BBB hostel in Santander, 20 euro night, v central, friendly and clean

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
"But also for the good, true cold,
shocking us back to all our senses:
the broken-off star of ice in the hand,
the sting of the wind and the quickening heart.
For the splintering light, and the frost in our voices,
striking, and making the strung air ring;
December cold with its wilder gifts –
for when are we more alive than now?"

Who would walk in Summer?;)

Why not bring your old passport , assuming you have space for another 10 stamps, you can get a new one in logrono in Algergue Municipal. You could then start walking. Navarette only 12.4 km. Ventosa another 8 km. Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.