• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

(Winter) Caminos in southern Spain

AllanHG

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France 2015
Camino Portuguese 2017
Hi,
My wife and I have walked the Camino Frances and The Camino Portuguese and we are looking for a Camino in the south of Spain that we could do in January/February 2019.

There seem to be several routes in the south of Spain and wonder if anyone could suggest one that is on fairly flat terrain that would be about a 2 weeks (in respect of touchy knees)?

Thanks,
Allan HG

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,
My wife and I have walked the Camino Frances and The Camino Portuguese and we are looking for a Camino in the south of Spain that we could do in January/February 2019.

There seem to be several routes in the south of Spain and wonder if anyone could suggest one that is on fairly flat terrain that would be about a 2 weeks (in respect of touchy knees)?

Thanks,
Allan HG
I'm interested in this as well. We have also walked the Francés and the Portuguese and cycled the Norte. We were looking in Portugal at the Via Algarviana and found this: https://caminoways.com/ways/ways-in-the-algarve/via-algarviana-full-way. Please keep me in the loop.

I walked Via de la Plata in January and February 2016. I used 6 weeks and had 3 days of rain. It was a very fine walk and I recomand it. Very little other pilegrims and many nice alberge and local people.

Attachments

• 5E673164-64CB-4AD9-B13C-69FEC73F71C3.jpeg
    5E673164-64CB-4AD9-B13C-69FEC73F71C3.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 41C4B2D7-1B5D-4B74-BB25-5E19D1073E63.jpeg
    41C4B2D7-1B5D-4B74-BB25-5E19D1073E63.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • B9689DE5-DE08-4998-BB84-DCF1C25E5DA1.jpeg
    B9689DE5-DE08-4998-BB84-DCF1C25E5DA1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • BC0A1464-EDFD-41D5-B721-857CABEA19E2.jpeg
    BC0A1464-EDFD-41D5-B721-857CABEA19E2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Allen,
We just came back from three months in southern Spain and can recommend the Ruta Fray Leopoldo for a short trip. It is not very well known, but the area is lovely. You can see photos in our journal on the Valle del Genal. We did the pilgrimage route as part of a much longer trip, but you could easily make a two week loop trip starting at Jimera de Libar (taking the train from Ronda), and going through Atajate, Alpandeire, Farajan, Juzcar, Cartajima, Igualeja, Pujerra, and back. These three days in our journal have specific information on the Fray Leopoldo route: Jimera de Líbar, Atajate, and Alpandeire. There are also photos showing the wonderful weather we had in February - great for hiking in tee shirts. I'd be glad to answer any questions.
Elaine

Hi Allen,
We just came back from three months in southern Spain and can recommend the Ruta Fray Leopoldo for a short trip. It is not very well known, but the area is lovely. You can see photos in our journal on the Valle del Genal. We did the pilgrimage route as part of a much longer trip, but you could easily make a two week loop trip starting at Jimera de Libar (taking the train from Ronda), and going through Atajate, Alpandeire, Farajan, Juzcar, Cartajima, Igualeja, Pujerra, and back. These three days in our journal have specific information on the Fray Leopoldo route: Jimera de Líbar, Atajate, and Alpandeire. There are also photos showing the wonderful weather we had in February - great for hiking in tee shirts. I'd be glad to answer any questions.
Elaine
Thank you. We shall explore this and check out your journal. Will be in touch as time passes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm interested in this as well. We have also walked the Francés and the Portuguese and cycled the Norte. We were looking in Portugal at the Via Algarviana and found this: https://caminoways.com/ways/ways-in-the-algarve/via-algarviana-full-way. Please keep me in the loop.
I'm interested in this as well. We have also walked the Francés and the Portuguese and cycled the Norte. We were looking in Portugal at the Via Algarviana and found this: https://caminoways.com/ways/ways-in-the-algarve/via-algarviana-full-way. Please keep me in the loop.[/QUOTE
Also interested!

Can recommend the Vía de la Plata. Did Sevilla - Salamanca in February 2014.
Interesting! And how was the weather on the VDP in February?

Yes, but my understanding is that there are less services and that the distances between are greater. I'm not sure we can manage that. True?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, but my understanding is that there are less services and that the distances between are greater. I'm not sure we can manage that. True?
Yes, it's true as a generality, but what distances are you OK with, and are you willing to take a taxi here and there? Merida to Salamanca is a very nice 2 week walk.

We can comfortably walk 12 - 15 miles a day. Yes, willing to take taxis. We don't stay in Albergues though; small pensions and eat pilgrim meals. Also, is it possible to cycle?

We can comfortably walk 12 - 15 miles a day. Yes, willing to take taxis. We don't stay in Albergues though; small pensions and eat pilgrim meals. Also, is it possible to cycle?
You should be able to work out a suitable itinerary for those distances, with private accommodation in most or all locations. I used a combination of albergues and private rooms. I have heard that it is a good route for cyclists, but I know nothing more about it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting! And how was the weather on the VDP in February?
This year, starting from Seville in February it was cold, sunny, and dry, with some mornings near or below freezing for a few hours. Good walking weather though, and much better than conditions later in the spring when heavy rain brought swollen streams and mud. My preference? I’ll take the occasional snow shower over a prolonged “mud season” any day . . .:)

This year, starting from Seville in February it was cold, sunny, and dry, with some mornings near or below freezing for a few hours. Good walking weather though, and much better than conditions later in the spring when heavy rain brought swollen streams and mud. My preference? I’ll take the occasional snow shower over a prolonged “mud season” any day . . .:)
Jill81 thanks for this. Where did you walk to? Many other prilgrims?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is also an alternative - to walk in the south of Portugal. Not talking about Via Algarvia though, there is smth new on the map. As of spring 2018 they are marking the way from Evora upwards - Via Portugal Nascente. Around 400km,19 stages so far, albergues and other forms of accommodation. Could be an interesting option to explore in winter. http://caminhossantiago.pt/#paths_1

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.