• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Clothing for Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, August 2016
Camino Portuguese, April 2017
Camino Ingles, May 2018
Hi all,

I am seriously thinking of starting the Frances from SJPD to Santiago next week. I’ve taken some time out from work and want to make best use of it. What I am curious to know is what sorting of clothing and sleeping bag pilgrims take in the winter and will my 33L pack used for spring/summer/autumn caminos be big enough?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@caminowilts, as mspath - our winter-walking guru said, there is a recent post with lots of info.

Regarding your pack - depends how minimalist you are!!!! I walk with an Osprey Kestral 38. My sleeping bag weighs just under 1kg and measured approx 21cm/19 cm packed in its bag. It fit in the bottom section of my pack. I had a large microfibre towel that folded up palm size, I carried a short and long merino shirt, thick hiking pants, wet weather pants, toiletries, a lunch bag full of 8 weeks work of medicine, 4 headlamps (family of 4 walking,), a few other items. Despite the minimal amount stated above, cant say I packed ultralight. My pack was full but not overflowing, it weighed approx 7.5kg.

First camino with a water bladder (similar to camelback), second with water bottle.

This is my sleeping bag - was toasty warm each night - sometimes a bit too warm!!!

If walking in winter, I would recommend ear warmers (headband style), a buff, beanie and very warm gloves. My husband and kids didn't bother with a beanie, they fashioned their buff into a hat, then one son wanted to wear my beanie all the time haha.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walk in winter with 33L pack with no real issue, but it is heavier than my summer kit. And figuring out lots of layers is the key - merino wool is great too as it doesn't need washed as often which is better in winter when getting gear dried is trickier. Also, given shorter days or more inclement weather its wise to make sure that you have something reflective/fluorescent that makes you more visible to drivers.

My preference in winter is a thermal liner with a (cheap) down quilt - but in regards to sleeping bags its a personal thing - because weight, cost and even if you sleep warm or cold can effect which choice to make. You are sleeping indoors, and even though heating is not plentiful in albergues you probably don't need a sleeping bag that is rated sub-zero, but a summer weight bag isn't going to cut it either.

Finally, it is very important to make sure that you carry some food with you - don't rely on cafes and bars being open in smaller towns and villages, eg some may open restricted hours or only certain days. You may get unlucky and not find anything open from getting up to going to bed so having some food in your rucksack is vital.

But honestly I am very jealous - I wish I could get walking this winter!

Hi all,

I am seriously thinking of starting the Frances from SJPD to Santiago next week. I’ve taken some time out from work and want to make best use of it. What I am curious to know is what sorting of clothing and sleeping bag pilgrims take in the winter and will my 33L pack used for spring/summer/autumn caminos be big enough?
Very little difference from spring / autumn which include ski-vest and nordic walking poles….

Extra;

A thin beanie, runner mittens and down light weight isolation jacket…..

You will enjoy your walk very much🙏🏼

Ultreia!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.