A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Winter - clothing the bottom half

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra (Summer 2015); Future? Levante-VDLP-Invierno (Feb/Mar 2019);
I'm thinking about doing a winter camino in February 2019 and am wondering what everyone has worn at that time of year! So many combinations re thermals/tights/shorts/trousers/rainpants. I know for trousers and shorts that I like big cargo pockets. I do like compression gear but I'm used to wearing these in summer conditions not winter ie compression shorts and calf sleeves. Since I live in the tropics these days I expect to feel the cold but I want to minimise the warm/waterproof gear causing too much sweating and getting wet as a result.

Any particular items you recommend?

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Very difficult to judge how someone else will feel cold or heat. I always prefer several thin layers to carrying heavyweight clothing which may rarely be used. That way you can mix and match to suit the day and time. I wear lightweight walking trousers with zipped pockets at the waist where I can carry anything valuable in ziplock plastic pouches. Most of the time on a winter camino they are warm enough for me while I am actually walking and generating heat. If it is very cold - especially when windy or wet - then I will wear close-fitting synthetic thermal long johns underneath these. Also double as sleepwear if the albergues are chilly. You cannot always assume that the dorms will be heated to your own comfort level in winter.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francès (spring 2017)
... when walking in winter this was always my kit.

thank you @mspath for your well annotated list - helpful for summer planning too ... I'm reassured someone else wears socks for sleeping ;)but sad to discover you're no longer walking, I was imagining being able to serendipitously thank you with a hug!

Glenn Rowe

Camino(s) past & future
I've been accused of being half Polar Bear, so what works for me may not work for you.

With that said, even when walking in sub-freezing temps, I have found that lightweight long underwear pants worn under loose-fitting but tightly-woven pants are sufficient. If I need a bit more warmth, I use large rubber bands to "blouse" the bottoms of my pant-legs like a paratrooper. If the wind gets too strong, adding a pair of rain- or wind-pants keeps me toasty.

Though you probably already know this, clothing that keeps you cozy when you're inactive will prove to be much too warm when you're walking.

Last edited:

katie@camino

Camino(s) past & future
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016; CPort (Central) from Porto 2017;
CPort (Coastal) from Porto 2018.
For my colder camino (October/November) I found silk long johns were fabulous under thin hiking pants.
@Kanga where did you get these silk long johns?

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
I've bought silk long johns and silk long sleeved vest from Landsend in u.k.
Like Kanga and Katie I wear mine under my lighter walking gear .

katie@camino

Camino(s) past & future
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016; CPort (Central) from Porto 2017;
CPort (Coastal) from Porto 2018.
NZ Nature - here
Thankyou @Kanga. How did you go with washing silk on the Camino? Does it dry quickly? And can i ask why you choose silk? Does it provide enough warmth?

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese.
@katie@camino I wash by hand - but as I only wear the long johns when it is very cold and as silk is rather like wool in that it resists odour, I don't recall having to wash them often. Drying depends on the weight of the silk fabric - the double knit takes longer than the single knit, but it is warmer and more opaque so can be worn by itself (mine are black). And yes, by weight, silk is warmer than wool, which is one of the reasons for choosing it.

Athena Atterdag

time&space traveller
Camino(s) past & future
Via Francigena (2017,2018)
Via Turonensis (Paris-Chartres,2018)
Camino de Invierno (Dec2018/Jan2019)
I walked the Camino this winter, and I wore Forclaz mountain trekking trousers* with very warm thermo leggins. They kept me warm in the early mornings when it was cold (often slightly below zero), and after walking for two or three hours, I would take off the leggins and walk on in the trousers. I was very glad that I decided on the combination of simple trekking trousers and thermo leggins and left my fleece trousers at home, because fleece trousers would be too warm for walking during the day. Not to mention the extra weight!

*No special reason for buying trousers for mountain trekking other that a special price for them at the store :)

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 133 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 205 24.0%