• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

• Click to join the Casa Ivar mailing List
    (separate from the forum emails). This includes new videos created on YouTube and new prodcts on the Camino Forum Store. (Click the small "X" on the top right corner to remove this message)

Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Winter comes to the Salvador

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just read on the Gronze forum that snow has fallen on the Salvador. Albergues are closing (both Bendueños and the private albergue in Llanos have closed for the season).

More snow is in the forecast. This is, historically, an early date for snow to start, but climate change is doing its thing. So I think this is a heads up for those planning to walk the Salvador at any time other than full blown summer — make sure to have good information about the conditions and the weather forecast!

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF 2014, CF 2018, CP 2019 from Coimbra
Thank you. I decided completely against the Salvador for April because of unpredictable weather.
I'm still hoping for Olvidado, starting toward the end of first week of April -- but if it's not possible, I guess I will just go on the Norte out of Bilbao.
I am reminded of the opening of the Canterbury Tales that remarked that all pilgrims did best to start their walks when the weather had turned gentle for the year.

Tommy Brown

Past OR future Camino
French,Portuguese and via de last Plata. Future,primitive norte
I just read on the Gronze forum that snow has fallen on the Salvador. Albergues are closing (both Bendueños and the private albergue in Llanos have closed for the season).

More snow is in the forecast. This is, historically, an early date for snow to start, but climate change is doing its thing. So I think this is a heads up for those planning to walk the Salvador at any time other than full blown summer — make sure to have good information about the conditions and the weather forecast!
Its called weather

ess1113

Past OR future Camino
April 2016
I walked the Salvador this past September and loved it!! I wouldn’t walk it in the snow but I loved it with all its challenges

peregrina2000

Staff member
Its called weather
Not sure what point you are making, but this camino has mountain paths that would be dangerous to traverse in the snow. Two stretches of 8 kms, before and after Poladura, are inaccessible by car so getting stuck would not be fun. Forum members have walked this route without problem in November in previous years, and snow typically did not come till December at the earliest. That’s no longer the case, so I thought a heads up was warranted.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Lynn C O'Hara

Mainelynn
Past OR future Camino
Frances (2016) Norte, Primitivo (2017), Portugues (2018), Finisterre/Muxia (2016)
Not sure what point you are making, but this camino has mountain paths that would be dangerous to traverse in the snow. Two stretches of 8 kms, before and after Poladura, are inaccessible by car so getting stuck would not be fun. Forum members have walked this route without problem in November in previous years, and snow typically did not come till December at the earliest. That’s no longer the case, so I thought a heads up was warranted.
Always good to hear from someone who has experience on so many of the caminos. Thank you, Laurie, for your commitment to the Forum members!

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
We walked in October in 2018 and missed the snow by a week.

Canche

Volcano Climber
Past OR future Camino

Sure glad I went in September when at times it was too hot. Sandra at Bendueñas was fabulous as I believe you recommended.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads