• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter comes to the Salvador

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just read on the Gronze forum that snow has fallen on the Salvador. Albergues are closing (both Bendueños and the private albergue in Llanos have closed for the season).

More snow is in the forecast. This is, historically, an early date for snow to start, but climate change is doing its thing. So I think this is a heads up for those planning to walk the Salvador at any time other than full blown summer — make sure to have good information about the conditions and the weather forecast!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you. I decided completely against the Salvador for April because of unpredictable weather.
I'm still hoping for Olvidado, starting toward the end of first week of April -- but if it's not possible, I guess I will just go on the Norte out of Bilbao.
I am reminded of the opening of the Canterbury Tales that remarked that all pilgrims did best to start their walks when the weather had turned gentle for the year.

I just read on the Gronze forum that snow has fallen on the Salvador. Albergues are closing (both Bendueños and the private albergue in Llanos have closed for the season).

More snow is in the forecast. This is, historically, an early date for snow to start, but climate change is doing its thing. So I think this is a heads up for those planning to walk the Salvador at any time other than full blown summer — make sure to have good information about the conditions and the weather forecast!
Its called weather

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Salvador this past September and loved it!! I wouldn’t walk it in the snow but I loved it with all its challenges

Its called weather
Not sure what point you are making, but this camino has mountain paths that would be dangerous to traverse in the snow. Two stretches of 8 kms, before and after Poladura, are inaccessible by car so getting stuck would not be fun. Forum members have walked this route without problem in November in previous years, and snow typically did not come till December at the earliest. That’s no longer the case, so I thought a heads up was warranted.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not sure what point you are making, but this camino has mountain paths that would be dangerous to traverse in the snow. Two stretches of 8 kms, before and after Poladura, are inaccessible by car so getting stuck would not be fun. Forum members have walked this route without problem in November in previous years, and snow typically did not come till December at the earliest. That’s no longer the case, so I thought a heads up was warranted.
Always good to hear from someone who has experience on so many of the caminos. Thank you, Laurie, for your commitment to the Forum members!

Sure glad I went in September when at times it was too hot. Sandra at Bendueñas was fabulous as I believe you recommended.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back