• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter face cream

MikeB

Not sure whether to post here or the medical forum. This one won!

I'll be leaving from León on 20 December and am now trying to arrive at Santiago on the 30th. Ambitious I know, but....

Has anyone used any cream to spread on their cheeks to prevent cold/wind chapping. After my 2 x 30km training walks last weekend in the UK Midlands (Saturday, very wet and cold, Sunday just cold), my cheeks were very red - too red - and I'd prefer to prevent, rather than cure.

In the summer, I've only ever needed to use lip-salve on the Meseta. Even in the heatwave year of 2003 late-July/early-August I had no problem (15 days from Arles to Toulouse), but the cold does seem to affect my face.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are preparations available used by winter climbers and skiers. But another idea might be the special offer which Blacks have at the moment for a neck gaiter + either gloves or hat for £20. If you have gloves and hat - then the neck gaiter is still very reasonably priced. I use it to come up to my nose and my hat to come down to my eyebrows when it is biting cold.

MikeB,

I was stationed above the Arctic Circle in Norway and we had several creams used:

Here's two: Mustela Cold Cream Nutri Protection and Original Melkfett Skin Cream. My problem wasn't so much my face as it was cracked heels and split fingers. Nothing worked on all three areas. When my 1st Grandchild was born, my Daughter Romi noticed a severe drying on his leg. A friend suggested "Bag Balm" and it's made in Lyndonville, VT 05851. It works on everything! Even cow udders! It's the best I've ever come across..
regards
Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Mike,

I bought a tube of VICHY Mag-C facial cream at the pharmacy in Spain and it works great. Not too greasy, hypo alergenic, and smells pretty good. Make sure you get something good, it will be cold and probably windy going up by the Iron Cross! Buen Camino - enjoy New Years in Santiago!

Saludos,

Alex

Thanks everyone. Due to limited time, I'll try and pick up some of the Vichy Mag-C cream in Spain. I've got a four hour wait in Madrid between plane and bus - two hours of which I'll be spending having lunch with an amiga peregrina - so enough time to find a farmacia

Thanks Arn, I'll look for Bag Balm, but I have less than 48 hours before I leave my house - and I'm working Monday and Tuesday - so unless Boots (big chemists chain in the UK) have it in stock, I'm stumped.

Johnny, I tried that today, with my Buff neck gaiter and hat, and I found that my breath was making the neck gaiter damp, and hence rather cold. But I'll learn and adapt as time goes by. By the end, who knows, maybe I'll have useful advice for others!

Mike

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can't name any specific products, but a local pharmacy is France or Spain should be able to suggest something, perhaps different from the products at home. Last year I developed a terrible cold/sinus with fever, and my lips became awfully cracked and sore. I bought a product in an Italian pharmacy that was actually a French homeopathic remedy. It felt beautiful when applied, and worked incredibly quickly. I only wish I knew what it was called so I could buy some more to bring home another time, but I threw the tube out when I had no more need of it ( as you do when you are backpacking!)
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.