• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter has returned to Spain

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Parts of Spain has entered a deep freeze.

Winter like weather has returned in most of north central Spain. For the past couple of days as we approach Salamanca on the Via de la Platq, the average daily temperatures has rarely got above 5 degrees. Throw in 30 kph winds from the north and it feels like minus 5 degrees. More is forecasted for Monday and the rest of the week will be wet and cold.

Hearing the same reports on the camino Frances route too

Be prepared, some of the folks I am walking with are running of layers of clothes to keep warm.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yesterday was a perfect example of why you need to be prepared for all types of conditions on the camino.

After walking nearly 30 km in sub zero conditions the day before, we awoke to 30 kph winds and blowing snow as this part of Spain entered a deep freeze. The temperature barely got over 3 degrees yesterday and with the wind chill factor it was probably minus 5 degrees.

Most of our group were unprepared to tackle the 26 km hike into Salamanca and wisely chose other modes of transportation.

With nearly white out conditions it is easy to understand why people could easily get lost and suffer the serious consequences.

Well after a brief reprise from the snow in Salamanca, winter or maybe autumn has returned to Spain once again. Temperatures are barely above 5 degrees in a number of key towns along the via de la plata.

We are stopping in Ourense for a couple of nights to take advantage of the terme here.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Snow over 900mts was the forecast, rising to 1000mts today. Winter has not gone yet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Susanna,
Everything should be back to normal by then.
If not, I'll be freezing along since I'm starting at the same time, albeit not in sandals.
And here's one you've heard before: ''don't worry, the camino will provide''. :roll:
Cheeers,
Jean-Marc

I am fleeing to the south... Haven't packed for winter. Have had too much of winter at home already...

We decided to hang out in Ourense for an extra couple of days and take in a terme or two. There is a tapas festival going on too.

Sure beats walking in the rain and nearly snow like conditions

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good call.

Those thermal baths ROCK!
The ones in Aljucen were only 5 euros for 1.5 hours in a private spa.
No suit needed! It was heaven!

Well I say. :)
Why didn't anyone tell me that when I walked vdlp?
I didn't know the camino provided spa baths and tapas festivals?
To me, it provided snow, sleet, hail, blizzards and torrential rain!
And I thought I had just to keep shut and walk! I thought that was the point of it.
Damn! Ok now I've have learnt something new:)

Yes! Some probably even walk barefoot in the snow!

Not me!

For me, the 'point' is to enjoy life.

As Maude sings,
"If you want to live high, live high
And if you want to live low, life low
Cuz there's a million ways to go,
You know that there are!"

I think this was rather well said, the quote someone sent me on twitter:
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Buen camino

Yes!
I and my VDLP companions have been dancing in the rain all week!
Lol!
And now we want to sing in the sunshine! :lol:

I arrived in Madrid yesterday and on my short tour on town I found out there is what we in Sweden call April weather. Which means sunshine one minute, snow storm the next, totally unpredictable. We got hail in the afternoon. Its cold here, it was +12 but felt much colder (the forecast said 17 but it was wrong).
People still wear their winter clothes. (yes I was barefoot in my sandals) I do hope the weather will improve. I think the clothes I broght should be enough. If not I'll just buy some more.
The good thing is thanks to the chilly weather I can store my yoghurt outside the window, keeping it cold. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm leaving SJPP tomorrow morning on my Camino frances. I'm in Bayonne at the moment it's raining here.. Has been on and off a night. I don't mind the cold.. But the wet will ruin the nice warm dry feeling of my boots!! Xox

Murphy has a lot to answer for, if I buy my Altus poncho next week I won't ever need it on my next Camino, and I don't buy the poncho it will rain cats and dogs for most of my way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It has been on order for a month, for pick up in Pamplona next week:). I just hope the store keeper hasn't sold it to another pilgrim

Hola!
I'm now in Segovia. I walked from Cercedilla over Sierra Guadarrama today, and I can report that there is indeed snow up there. On the way up, there was still snow after the last bridge, say a km from the top. Not much on the trail, though. But on the way down there was much more, even on the trail. It had melted where people had walked, so I tried to walk there too. Yup I was barefoot in my sandals. The sun was warm so it was no big deal, really. It lasted perhaps five km down the hill. Must have been lots of snow before.
I had four nice days with good weather and sunshine. I'm happy. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.