• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Lodging

JojoK

Time of past OR future Camino
November-December (2017)
Would anyone happen to know if there a list anywhere that comprise of just Albergues open during the winter months? SO many I look at close by November 1.
Perhaps there isnt,, but I thought I would check before I walk starting mid November.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have access to a Brierley guidebook you can get a pretty good idea. I can only remember one time when an Albergue that was listed as 'open all year' was closed and fortunately San Rafael in Agés was open just 4kms down the way. Other than that I went across the country by using his book.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As you walk check with hospitaleros about open albergues within your next few stops. Lodging will be available at least every 20 to 25kms. In 2014, I only had to walk an extra few kilometers every now and then. And, as aforementioned, do not be surprised when an "open" albergue is closed.
Buen camino.

If you have access to a Brierley guidebook you can get a pretty good idea. I can only remember one time when an Albergue that was listed as 'open all year' was closed and fortunately San Rafael in Agés was open just 4kms down the way. Other than that I went across the country by using his book.
Thanks Jozero! I do have Brierley's guide book - wasn't sure how up to date since things change fast sometimes. Good to know you didn't have any issues other than 1x.

As you walk check with hospitaleros about open albergues within your next few stops. Lodging will be available at least every 20 to 25kms. In 2014, I only had to walk an extra few kilometers every now and then. And, as aforementioned, do not be surprised when an "open" albergue is closed.
Buen camino.
Thanks - that's great advise. I will be sure to check with hospitaleros to see about open albergues ahead. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I did a winter walk March and April and never had an issue finding a bed. A couple of albergues called head to let us know what was open. Use the list and their phone numbers to call ahead if necessary.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The website listed above by Anemone is the standby resource for winter pilgrims. It is updated DAILY by one of the Camino's most stalwart hosts -- the woman who opened the very first donativo albergue, back in the 1980s!

Enjoy your winter camino.
That’s great info, thanks Rebekah, planning on walking next Jan/Feb. I saw this woman give a talk last year when the church in Hornillos was reopened; what an inspiration :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please excuse my ignorance , but does "xunta" mean closed ?

Hi Jim
“Cerrado” means closed.
“Xunta” means that it is run by the local government.

From Wikipedia:
The Xunta de Galicia (Galician pronunciation: [ˈʃunta ðe ɡaˈliθja], "Government of Galicia") is the collective decision-making body of the government of the autonomous community of Galicia, composed of the President, the Vice-President(s) and the specialized ministers (Conselleiros).
The Xunta has at its disposal a vast bureaucratic organization based at Santiago de Compostela, the galician government capital. The Xunta de Galicia has delegations in the four capital cities of Galicia: A Coruña, Pontevedra, Ourense and Lugo.

Jill

Hi Jim
“Cerrado” means closed.
“Xunta” means that it is run by the local government.

From Wikipedia:
The Xunta de Galicia (Galician pronunciation: [ˈʃunta ðe ɡaˈliθja], "Government of Galicia") is the collective decision-making body of the government of the autonomous community of Galicia, composed of the President, the Vice-President(s) and the specialized ministers (Conselleiros).
The Xunta has at its disposal a vast bureaucratic organization based at Santiago de Compostela, the galician government capital. The Xunta de Galicia has delegations in the four capital cities of Galicia: A Coruña, Pontevedra, Ourense and Lugo.

Jill

Jill ,
Thank you for your reply .
Greatly appreciated .
Jim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I recently inquired at one of the Winter places that ask for reservations in advance http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/) and the albergue indicated that they weren't sure they would be open at that time! SO my advice is do not plan on all the places listed as being open and call them in advance so that you do not reach your limit and find nothing in the town open!

I recently inquired at one of the Winter places that ask for reservations in advance http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/) and the albergue indicated that they weren't sure they would be open at that time! SO my advice is do not plan on all the places listed as being open and call them in advance so that you do not reach your limit and find nothing in the town open!

Also, don't printt the list out, instead check it in real time every day as the info gets updated regularly! BC SY

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back