• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Winter pilgrim warning.

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all. Just a warning that part of the trail on the Frances between Larrasoana and Irotz has collapsed due to the heavy rains. It is a section about 30 feet long but it is very difficult to pass. Also the river along the path is very swollen and rapid coming very close to the trail. Please use extra caution in this area. Also gaiters may be useful as there is a lot of mud on route.
Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Even with the typo in my post last week about the potential flooding, it has rained non-stop since late 20/2, last night on the 23rd it was by far the worst yet with high winds, heavy rains, sleet and thunderstorms. The European radar looks clear this morning but the view from my terrace is quite ominous. The Atlantic is an angry monster today but at least there is no snow on the top of La Rhune.
I think the forecast is for more of the same all along the northern coast of Spain for most of the week with 20 to 30 mm everyday.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a current post on another thread something like "Day 2 Zubiri," the report is snow and high winds.

Hi all.
Weather forecast for the next days is very bad in Navarra.
Heavy rain, wind and snow in the Pyrenees. The rivers are overflowing in some places.
Be careful and Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have had a couple of rest days since starting (two kids had fevers on one day, poor things!), but have walked in rain or snow every day since we started on 14 Feb. The only clear days have been our rest days! Just finished a rest day in Logroño, back on the path tomorrow.

Just a healthy reminder, follow the advice given. Stick to the highways early on, the tracks are too dangerous in the snow. Safe travels to all!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My winter experience of the Camino Frances was of cold, clement conditions. However, my spring experience of the Le Puy route the year before was like in your photos, especially the Aubrac Plateau.
col.jpg

But I feel more nostalgia now for that brutal plateau than for all the rest. Go figure.

So stay safe, take advice...and you won't forget any of this.

Ultreia

Rob

On 25/2 the local nightly news on France 3 was reporting most ski resort in the Pyrenees have closed their trails due to a high risk of avalanches, the same applies to many roads which are close to all traffic except emergency vehicle while they try to clean up from the heavy snow fall and avalanches.

A hard winter for our fellow pilgrims.
Take care and stay warm.
Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A hard winter for our fellow pilgrims.
Take care and stay warm.
Buen Camino.
I for one am looking forward to a quick end of this weather. Please don't remind me of 2013 when it was still snowing like this well into May because I plan to be crossing at Somport late in May.

Last edited:
We have had a couple of rest days since starting (two kids had fevers on one day, poor things!), but have walked in rain or snow every day since we started on 14 Feb. The only clear days have been our rest days! Just finished a rest day in Logroño, back on the path tomorrow.

Just a healthy reminder, follow the advice given. Stick to the highways early on, the tracks are too dangerous in the snow. Safe travels to all!
Wishing you and your family safe journey. Hopefully the conditions will improve. Maya

I for one am looking forward to a quick end of this weather. Please don't remind me of 2013 when it was still snowing like this well into May because I plan to be crossing at Somport late in May.
I walked from early May 2013. I was lucky that I didn't have to plough through snow, but I did have to through the mud on the Rioja. :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bon jour, Biarritz.
These pictures are from April 2.013, between Zizur and El Perdón.
A very bad days to walk.

Attachments

• P1000639(1).JPG
    P1000639(1).JPG
    771.9 KB · Views: 47
  • P1000650(1).JPG
    P1000650(1).JPG
    502.6 KB · Views: 47
  • P1000659(1).JPG
    P1000659(1).JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 50
  • P1000662.JPG
    P1000662.JPG
    526.3 KB · Views: 47
My winter experience of the Camino Frances was of cold, clement conditions. However, my spring experience of the Le Puy route the year before was like in your photos, especially the Aubrac Plateau.
col.jpg

But I feel more nostalgia now for that brutal plateau than for all the rest. Go figure.

So stay safe, take advice...and you won't forget any of this.

Ultreia

Rob

I was so close to doing the le Puy but concern regarding the Aubrac Plateau prompted me to redo the Frances. The weather us indeed cold and wet here and I am enjoying myself very much but your comments regarding nostalgia for the brutal plateau make me wonder if I should have given it a go anyway. I have a friend who also did the le Puy last March and he got caught in a blizzard on the Aubrac. Still regardless he says he had the most wonderful experience of his life on that walk.
Glad you posted this. Maybe next time for me :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi all we are in Bayonne and head off at 6:00am tomorrow and see how we go. Not going over Pyraneese and take option B

Fingers crossed

Glenn
Hey Glenn, at least you might have had a chance to see the sun on Friday; it was the first time it came out in over a week. I'm sure you have encountered the less than happy faces of my Basque colleagues today. Take courage the forecast after Monday is pretty mild and that should melt the mountains of snow that fell last week.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That being said, we aren't blaming Hollande for the snow in the Pyrenees this week. It's climate change, get used to it.

You don't need to remind me of that. I have spent 50 + years of my life out of doors. Climate change is very real. Snowman complimates of my free thinking children and grand daughter. But very funny in my opinion .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back