• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Pilgrims: open albergues site

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, this has already helped me. Just checked through it and have had to reconsider one possible stop for my short camino in January.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just to clarify: the "down months" would be November through February, I take it? So in March most places will be open again?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, Falcon, helpful as always! - and also oops. I have made some reservations for the first and second night but will study my CSJ guide more closely for addresses for private accommodation before I go. March is the only time we can go so might as well make the most of it and up the luxury a bit ... :D

Thanks, Rebekah, I appreciate it - that will make it easier to plan! Now if someone could please guarantee what weather we will get... :D Merry Christmas everyone and buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St. Jean tends to "open" on Palm Sunday, I've noticed.

Thanks, Falcon, helpful as always! - and also oops. I have made some reservations for the first and second night but will study my CSJ guide more closely for addresses for private accommodation before I go. March is the only time we can go so might as well make the most of it and up the luxury a bit ... :D

Hi when in March are you heading off?

1st for us

Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Brisbanegee : We are walking from Astorga in the middle of March and plan to be in Santiago before the end of the month. Third time for me, first time together!

@nidarosa Your third time and to do so quick is amazing. Hope to see you on the way somewhere. Do you have any tips? I have been told a GPS is a good idea, i also know the path is signed well. We only have 30 days and can not afford to get lost, but want to experience the walk :)

Cheers Glenn

If you have set aside 30 days I assume you are starting way further back than we are. Astorga is "only" 250 kms from Santiago and usually takes about two weeks, compared to Roncesvalles which is 790 kms away. Where do you start? I would say that GPS is unnecessary as the path is pretty well signposted and also locals are quick to point you back to the right way if you should stray off it ... besides getting a bit lost now and then is good for the soul. Bring a guide book or download one to your phone and you'll be fine. All the info you could ever want is on this forum, so read and enjoy!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you have set aside 30 days I assume you are starting way further back than we are. Astorga is "only" 250 kms from Santiago and usually takes about two weeks, compared to Roncesvalles which is 790 kms away. Where do you start? I would say that GPS is unnecessary as the path is pretty well signposted and also locals are quick to point you back to the right way if you should stray off it ... besides getting a bit lost now and then is good for the soul. Bring a guide book or download one to your phone and you'll be fine. All the info you could ever want is on this forum, so read and enjoy!
Great advise :)

Starting at SJPdP and so looking forward to it :)

Safe travels.

Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just thought I would give this a little bump and add a bit. I am staying in Albergue Vieira in San Martin Del Camino if you continue along the main road another Albergue is open about 100 metres along on the same side.

The Vieira has a warm welcome, heating and water.

Going to add a little more info. I stayed in Albergue Encina in Hospital de Obrigo last night, I really like the parish albergue but with -2 temps at midday I thought I give the outdoor showers a miss. It was very frosty and misty when I left there this morning and was tempted to walk the road way to Astorga but went right, through the more rural areas and was rewarded with clear views as I started climbing later, the colder denser air going to the lower areas. No bars or cafes were open in the next two villages, but the little rest place which david offers to pilgrims has a warm stove, coffee and welcome. I am in Santa Catalina in the El Caminante, if you ask for the albergue they will offer it to you, but I am staying in an individual room, if I am going to drink wine which I am tonight I stay away from dorms- I snore.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If there is one hospitalero I admire most on the Camino, it is David! His dedication and commitment are exceptional! No offence meant to the many, many other ones that are doing a stellar job also! SY

The last time I saw him was in 2010, I stopped had a coffee, got the sello, said a few words, moved on. This time I stopped for an hour, what I recognised with him and a few other people on the Camino I have met over the years is a sense of peace. One pilgrim walked by, David offered him a welcome and a few words ' Attention. Secrets of the Way' and it is true! But the pilgrim had more pressing matters and walked rapidly by and I am not critising him because I have done the same, but I will take the lesson that I have to be more receptive.

My Camino is now over. Took a bad fall last night, my left shin now has 10-12 inch scar down it, which if I fell again and knocked it could cause problems, have to find a way from Cacabelos to Paris tomorrow, not the best time to be going, but the Camino in its make or break relationships score is 1-1 for me and I don't want it to go 1-2, so Paris it is.

For Info El Pillar is open in Rabanal they are a very welcoming family.IMG_20150110_231759653.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My Camino is now over. Took a bad fall last night, my left shin now has 10-12 inch scar down it, which if I fell again and knocked it could cause problems, have to find a way from Cacabelos to Paris tomorrow, not the best time to be going, but the Camino in its make or break relationships score is 1-1 for me and I don't want it to go 1-2, so Paris it is.

For Info El Pillar is open in Rabanal they are a very welcoming family.View attachment 15637
So sorry to hear this, Mike. Hope you recover quickly and get to planning your next Camino! Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.