• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter request to Salavador Pilgrims

A

Anemone del Camino

I thought I would relay a FB post from the hospitaleros on the San Salavador.

They ask those who may be walking in winter, November to April especially, to keep in mind that hospies on that route are in daily contact with each other so that the ones further down the path can know how many pilgrims to expect AND to please check in with the albergue where one would have likely spent the night if one chooses to walk on further.

One pilgrim had been expected in a particular albergue yesterday but decided to keep going. This meant that an albergue's heating was turned on and kept on from 11 in the morning into the evening, and that hospies spent a lot of time preparing and worrying for the pilgrim, who they say are waited for as if they were royalty.

Soooo nice to know that these hospitaleros are keeping such a careful and watchful eye for us. In return, letting them know about changes in plan is the least we can do.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I follow a Facebook group for the San Salvador route and this morning this popped up - in spanish with translation. In effect the hospitaleros along this route keep in touch with each other, especially at this time of year with difficult walking conditions, to advise when a pilgrim is on the way. The receiving hospitalero will then heat the albergue ready for arrival and wait from the expected time of arrival to greet the pilgrim. If plans change, please phone and advise to save a lot of time, money and worry...

Not all roads are equal, nor all the hospitaleros are equal.
This, that it may be a wake-up call to future pilgrims on the way to the Savior, comes to the tale of the following, which is not far from the first time this has happened:
The Hospitaleros of this road (especially those from poladura, buiza, haystacks, bendueños and Lena for being the toughest stages) we have a tendency to communicate every day from March to October. On the other hand, from November to March by coincide with days of rain or snow, we only communicate when we know that somebody is on the way by that "follow him from a distance" would not be lost by the mount and available for that A comfortable hostel on arrival; defino comfortable: Hot.
Today Sunday 15 January, cold and rainy day, the hostel of pola de Lena was waiting for one coming down the haystacks. Yesterday warned us Marisa Glez, which will in turn have been warned since poladura or buiza... and if there was any doubt, it was the same pilgrim who also called bloke to warn him of his arrival at our hotel today on Three o'clock in the afternoon. Come on, that we have waited for him like a king question...
It's almost seven in the evening and since around 15:30 pm I've been waiting for the pilgrim in question. How doesn't arrive, I call paulino the hostel of mieres and tells me that he too is waiting for you there. I get the phone from the pilgrim and I call him. I have to say that he felt sorry for making us wait in vain; it did not take into account that the hospitaleros this road were so awaiting the pilgrims and that is why continued long into the hostel of mieres without telling us.
The heat in this hostel has been running since 11 o'clock in the morning and pull with gas-Oil, which is not cheap and I'm a lot less. My time, I like the whole world, it's gold... it was a time say you lost a few hours.
In the end... that in the way of the Saviour, the hospitaleros we're not going to stop being as we're being for the good of those who visit us so we ask the prospective pilgrims, the essence of winter, which take into account this for no Make us lose spending no money (heating), nor the time.
Thank you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That is so thoughtful of hospitalo/as, such a nice gesture. Especially in winter conditions when hikers lives could be in danger. And also is very nice to come into warm and therefore cozy albergue.

But as I understand from the translation above mentioned pilgrim that continued to Mieres after Pola de Lena didn't even know that he was expected in PdL (warm) albergue. If that is indeed so then I guess it was just the lack of communication between him and Marisa in Pajares albergue. One can't just assume how far someone will walk, better talk that to details and all will be well. Aren't there log-books for pilgrims where you put in the place you are coming from and tomorrows destination? Maybe this pilgrim entered Pola de lena and later changed his mind due to weather etc.

Anyway I can only repeat what I said in first paragraph. Camino del Salvador is really a special one.

Now, how to get this message to all those not on this forum - at least for those walking the CF or the San Carlos routes, perhaps all those who generously give their time at the Pilgrim Office in StJPdP, could stress (and perhaps do) the importance that pilgrims let the Albergues know when there is a need to cancel.

This is exactly why many places now require a credit card or deposit.
People have lost their ethics somewhere along the way.
A few irresponsible people ruin it for everyone.

I met a guy one year at a bar in the mountains along the Frances. Someone asked his destination that day. His response was that he had reserved beds in several places along the route and would go until he was tired. "Will you call and cancel the others?" he was asked. "Naww... they'll figure it out." I felt like slapping him off his barstool.

Other pilgrims, weary and cold, would stop at the places he had reserved to be told there was no room.
Then this jerk would not show up.
The hospitalero would lose his cash.
The tired pilgrim would have to walk further.

By the way, this is the same person who slugged another pilgrim, knocking him to the ground, in another albergue.
If there had not been a mattress on the floor, the guy could have died, his head hit so hard.
All because his daughter didn't want to put her shoes outside the door.
She had been heard at the bar earlier in the evening saying she was going to start a fight.
The apple hadn't fallen far from the tree.
Horrible people.
Americans, unfortunately.

Puts me in a bad mood just thinking about them . . . :mad::mad::mad:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The situation on thr Salvador in winter is different than booking Nd not showing up. On the Salvador the hospitaleros are giving each other a "heads up, pilgrim heading your way" as a way to keep an eye out on us, incase of an an accident, and to make sure the heating is on for our comfort. This does not happen on the Frances for example, let alone in summer when one may be tempted to book ahead.

Of course this doesn't mean one should not warn an albergue if plans change, but noone is calling another albergue so that if you don't show up the search party gets into high gear.

By the way, this is the same person who slugged another pilgrim, knocking him to the ground, in another albergue.
If there had not been a mattress on the floor, the guy could have died, his head hit so hard.
She had been heard at the bar earlier in the evening saying she was going to start a fight.
Horrible people.

Anyone being in the army would know how to deal with them :mad:. Lights off, blankets, wet towels with soap etc.etc. :D

PS (Sorry for being so cruel :p)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is exactly why many places now require a credit card or deposit.
People have lost their ethics somewhere along the way.
A few irresponsible people ruin it for everyone.

I met a guy one year at a bar in the mountains along the Frances. Someone asked his destination that day. His response was that he had reserved beds in several places along the route and would go until he was tired. "Will you call and cancel the others?" he was asked. "Naww... they'll figure it out." I felt like slapping him off his barstool.

Other pilgrims, weary and cold, would stop at the places he had reserved to be told there was no room.
Then this jerk would not show up.
The hospitalero would lose his cash.
The tired pilgrim would have to walk further.

Horrible people.

It disappoints me greatly that some people are like that. I also am amazed that they would have the energy to fight.

They ask those who may be walking in winter, November to April especially, to keep in mind that hospies on that route are in daily contact with each other so that the ones further down the path can know how many pilgrims to expect AND to please check in with the albergue where one would have likely spent the night if one chooses to walk on further.

One pilgrim had been expected in a particular albergue yesterday but decided to keep going. This meant that an albergue's heating was turned on and kept on from 11 in the morning into the evening, and that hospies spent a lot of time preparing and worrying for the pilgrim, who they say are waited for as if they were royalty.

Soooo nice to know that these hospitaleros are keeping such a careful and watchful eye for us. In return, letting them know about changes in plan is the least we can do.

Is there any way we could chip in a few bucks to help cover the heating oil cost for that day? I know it doesn't make up for the time and unthoughtfulness of the pilgrim, but a number of pilgrims pulling together to support a hospitalero would be good.

What exactly is the San Salvador? I'm new to this but I will be hiking from Leon to Fisterra from Feb 13 -Mar 3 2017 am going to be anywhere near the San Salvador if so do I need to call ahead or something...I will be starting in Pamplona on the 4th of Feb and plan to be in Burgos by the 12 then train on to Leon for that part skipping the part between Burgos and Leon

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I follow a Facebook group for the San Salvador route and this morning this popped up - in spanish with translation. In effect the hospitaleros along this route keep in touch with each other, especially at this time of year with difficult walking conditions, to advise when a pilgrim is on the way. The receiving hospitalero will then heat the albergue ready for arrival and wait from the expected time of arrival to greet the pilgrim. If plans change, please phone and advise to save a lot of time, money and worry...

Not all roads are equal, nor all the hospitaleros are equal.
This, that it may be a wake-up call to future pilgrims on the way to the Savior, comes to the tale of the following, which is not far from the first time this has happened:
The Hospitaleros of this road (especially those from poladura, buiza, haystacks, bendueños and Lena for being the toughest stages) we have a tendency to communicate every day from March to October. On the other hand, from November to March by coincide with days of rain or snow, we only communicate when we know that somebody is on the way by that "follow him from a distance" would not be lost by the mount and available for that A comfortable hostel on arrival; defino comfortable: Hot.
Today Sunday 15 January, cold and rainy day, the hostel of pola de Lena was waiting for one coming down the haystacks. Yesterday warned us Marisa Glez, which will in turn have been warned since poladura or buiza... and if there was any doubt, it was the same pilgrim who also called bloke to warn him of his arrival at our hotel today on Three o'clock in the afternoon. Come on, that we have waited for him like a king question...
It's almost seven in the evening and since around 15:30 pm I've been waiting for the pilgrim in question. How doesn't arrive, I call paulino the hostel of mieres and tells me that he too is waiting for you there. I get the phone from the pilgrim and I call him. I have to say that he felt sorry for making us wait in vain; it did not take into account that the hospitaleros this road were so awaiting the pilgrims and that is why continued long into the hostel of mieres without telling us.
The heat in this hostel has been running since 11 o'clock in the morning and pull with gas-Oil, which is not cheap and I'm a lot less. My time, I like the whole world, it's gold... it was a time say you lost a few hours.
In the end... that in the way of the Saviour, the hospitaleros we're not going to stop being as we're being for the good of those who visit us so we ask the prospective pilgrims, the essence of winter, which take into account this for no Make us lose spending no money (heating), nor the time.
Thank you.
do I need to have a phone and phone numbers of albergues along the route of this I had no idea, I do have a list of the albergues and their numbers but it's a big list and I have no idea where I may end up each day, there are notations of the ones open all year but I thought I would just take it day by day and see what happens I've heard so often the Camino takes care of it's own so I have not really focused on this as I prefer to focus on my spanish and my gear..and of course my prayers

What exactly is the San Salvador?
Richard, the 'Salvador' is an ancient pilgrimage route starting in Leon ( or arguably Madrid) and heading north to Oviedo where the cathedral holds several relics of the Christ - hence Salvador. The relics were gathered there in the 8 - 10th centuries in response to the moorish occupation.

No, you don't need to 'phone ahead on the Camino Frances (unless you are walking in peak season - July to September and who would). The Camino will provide.

Buen Camino

Edit: I guess you are time constrained otherwise why take the train when you could walk the beautiful Meseta.

Richard, the 'Salvador' is an ancient pilgrimage route starting in Leon ( or arguably Madrid) and heading north to Oviedo where the cathedral holds several relics of the Christ - hence Salvador. The relics were gathered there in the 8 - 10th centuries in response to the moorish occupation.

No, you don't need to 'phone ahead on the Camino Frances (unless you are walking in peak season - July to September and who would). The Camino will provide.

Buen Camino

Edit: I guess you are time constrained otherwise why take the train when you could walk the beautiful Meseta.
I had to pick the best way to spend my month and I chose the course accordingly, I could not visit Spain without seeing my friends in Pamplona and the small part of the Basque country I will traverse and Burgos is a must for me and Leon is where my wife started her camino back in 2010 and I plan to follow her route from there to the coast as it is I believe I will have 26 days on the trail which is 20 days longer than ever before so this will truly be an adventure, The winter I hear can be harsh on the Meseta I've heard so I thought there is where I will save some time and give myself enough time to truly absorb Galicia which I have read so much about for so many years, I began my plans to do the camino in 1978 when I first read about it but as you know life can make short work of those plans, over the years I have seen many of my friends do the camino at my suggestion as I still sit at home and hope and plan now in my 59th year I will finally do what I had hoped to do since I was 21, I think this was Gods plan all along because now it really is my turn...Thank you for your input

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back