• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter/spring essentials

ydan

Time of past OR future Camino
March, April or May 2015
Hi guys,
I'm about to buy things that I would need for my walk this mid-or-late March.

What are the essentials for this time? I have the following items in mind:

1 backpack (probably 35L)
1 sleeping bag
1 pair hiking boots
2 walking sticks (will buy in SJPDP)
1 winter jacket (shell with insulation) - NO
1 fleece sweater
1 windbreaker jacket

1 pair of waterproof hiking pants (?)
1 pair of thermal pants
1 pair of sweatpants
1 pair of gloves (?)
1 merino wool beanie
2 merino wool buffs
3 merino wool socks
2 quick-dry underwear
2 quick-dry long-sleeved shirts (should these be merino wool as well?)

1 waterbottle
1 small LED flash light
1 first aid kit
1 bodycare kit
1 pepper spray for dogs (I love dogs but.. just in case :) ) - NO

1 phone
1 charger
1 EU adaptor

Towel
Sunglasses
Hat
Sandals!!
Poncho!!

Ibuprofen
(to add in my first-aid kit)

Is this enough or I am forgetting something very important?

Of course I will have my passport, camino credentials and wallet.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe....Sunglasses, Tothbrush, Shampoo, Soap, Towel, Camera, Hat and a big smile!
Buen Camino

@petzar

Towel and sunglasses and hat!! thanks!

Toothbrush, shampoo,soap are already in my bodycare kit :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
2 pairs of walking sticks (will buy in SJPDP)? A typo I'm sure. Pepper spray? I guess you are not going to get that through as a carry on and anyway you have sticks. They will be enough for any dog problems that (not likely on the Frances) will occur. Sandals for the end of day to give your feet a rest and let the boots dry. I hope you break the boots in in time as one month is not very long to do so unless you have them already.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Pepper spray against dogs is not needed. At least not for the Frances.

I heard about some not so nice dogs on the primitivo and some other routes ( although i have no idea what someone else considers "not so nice"), but for the Frances....leave it at home.

I did meet some really awfull poodles when i went OFF the camino. The bare teeth kind awfull

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
2 pairs of walking sticks (will buy in SJPDP)? A typo I'm sure. Pepper spray? I guess you are not going to get that through as a carry on and anyway you have sticks. They will be enough for any dog problems that (not likely on the Frances) will occur. Sandals for the end of day to give your feet a rest and let the boots dry. I hope you break the boots in in time as one month is not very long to do so unless you have them already.

Sandals! oh yes I need a croc :)

It's good to hear that I may not need pepper spray then.
I still might buy it in SJPDP though as a precaution. But I might change my mind later on about this.
Originally I only wanted one walking stick. But because I have read about the danger of wild dogs I am now thinking of getting at least two walking sticks. But of course the main reason is to make my walk more comfortable with walking sticks.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

1 sleeping bag
1 pair hiking boots
2 pairs of walking sticks (will buy in SJPDP)
1 winter jacket (shell with insulation)
1 pair of thermal pants
1 pair of sweatpants
1 pair of gloves (?)
3 pairs of merino wool socks
2 pairs of quick-dry underwear
2 pairs of quick-dry long-sleeved shirts (should these be merino wool as well?)

1 waterbottle
1 small LED flash light
1 first aid kit
1 bodycare kit
1 pepper spray for dogs (I love dogs but.. just in case :) )

1 phone
1 charger

Additions to my list:

Towel
Sunglasses
Hat

Sandals!!
Hey, friend!!
Do you know when you will start? I (together with my niese) will start from SJPP the 12th of March! So if you´re on the way around that time, we might meet :) Don´t worry about your packing-list. You seem to have the most important things already. And there will always be places to the things you might miss, or nice pilgims on the way to share ;-)
Hope to see you!
Mari

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does this list include the clothes you'll be wearing? I see 3 pants (waterproof, thermal, sweat) but no regular quick dry walking pants.

I would not take an insulated winter jacket but have separate layers (medium fleece under lighter weight waterproof one).

You've clarified that you mean 1 pair of walking sticks (2 sticks), which is good. I've never used or carried pepper spray in my life and wouldn't recommend it!.

I found my merino wool buff to be excellent - versatile temperature control without needing to stop walking.

Gloves are essential and a hat/hood/buff combo for warmth.

Crocs are like Marmite/Vegamite - you either love them or hate them. I have my trusty Merrills. I go with the buff thing and actually have two. One for my neck and one for my head in cold weather or in hot when I soak them at every fuente.

No way! Damn. Could you walk on? Was it a farm dog?
It was the start of a day as I was approaching a mountain. I did walk on but it was a bit painful where he drew blood. It was a farm dog in the street with it's owner in a very small, quite place. He was perhaps not accustomed to pilgrim's or maybe one had given him a bad time?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi guys,

1 sleeping bag
1 pair hiking boots
2 pairs of walking sticks (will buy in SJPDP)
1 winter jacket (shell with insulation)
1 pair of thermal pants
1 pair of sweatpants
1 pair of gloves (?)
3 pairs of merino wool socks
2 pairs of quick-dry underwear
2 pairs of quick-dry long-sleeved shirts (should these be merino wool as well?)

1 waterbottle
1 small LED flash light
1 first aid kit
1 bodycare kit
1 pepper spray for dogs (I love dogs but.. just in case :) )

1 phone
1 charger

Additions to my list:

Towel
Sunglasses
Hat

Sandals!!
An adaptor for your charger(s), assuming you're not from Spain

I'm amazed at the number of pilgrims who appear to be carrying pepper spray on the Camino (seen in other threads). Perhaps for women walking alone... But for stray dogs? You'd have to let it get fairly close for the spray to be effective... I'm guessing.

It was the start of a day as I was approaching a mountain. I did walk on but it was a bit painful where he drew blood. It was a farm dog in the street with it's owner in a very small, quite place. He was perhaps not accustomed to pilgrim's or maybe one had given him a bad time?
Sorry to hear about that, Al. I hope the farmer did help you out a bit, after his dog tried to have you for lunch?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm amazed at the number of pilgrims who appear to be carrying pepper spray on the Camino (seen in other threads). Perhaps for women walking alone... But for stray dogs? You'd have to let it get fairly close for the spray to be effective... I'm guessing.
I bet a nice sound horn would be more effective ;)

My comments:

1 pair hiking boots - Unless you are USED to wearing boots, I'd wear flexible trail runners instead but that's a huge topic on here.
2 pairs of walking sticks (will buy in SJPDP) - You only need ONE pair???
1 winter jacket (shell with insulation) - You do not need this. Instead, take a featherweight raincoat, poncho, or windbreaker
1 pair of waterproof hiking pants (?) - you do not need these
1 pair of thermal pants - as in longjohns?
1 pair of sweatpants - You will never wear these plus they are too difficult to dry. Layer lightweight pants instead.
3 pairs of merino wool socks - 2 pair is all you need; one to wear and one to wash

2 pairs of quick-dry long-sleeved shirts (should these be merino wool as well?) - I'd take only one long-sleeve and one short-sleeve shirt. Merino or bamboo are nice if you can afford them. Otherwise, any shirts will be fine.
1 first aid kit - All you need are 2 or 3 bandaids and a few ibuprofin. Buy compeed in Spain. That's it. Any other thing you need you can buy on the way in any village or your albergue will have first aid kits. Or, every pilgrim you pass will be happy to help you.
1 bodycare kit - Take a bar of shampoo/soap, a toothbrush, and paste. Smush some deoderant into a small container. See my blog.
1 pepper spray for dogs (I love dogs but.. just in case :) ) Please do NOT take pepper spray. FIrst, you cannot take it on the airplane and second, it's useless. There are no vicious dogs on the Camino that I've seen in 7 trips. Instead, if a dog is barking at you, bend over and pick up a rock and he'll run away. They know rocks.

Hey, friend!!
Do you know when you will start? I (together with my niese) will start from SJPP the 12th of March! So if you´re on the way around that time, we might meet :) Don´t worry about your packing-list. You seem to have the most important things already. And there will always be places to the things you might miss, or nice pilgims on the way to share ;-)
Hope to see you!
Mari
Hey there! Yes, maybe we'll see each other along the way. I wish you buen camino in advance! :) I am 90% sure that I will start mid-march.

Does this list include the clothes you'll be wearing? I see 3 pants (waterproof, thermal, sweat) but no regular quick dry walking pants.

I would not take an insulated winter jacket but have separate layers (medium fleece under lighter weight waterproof one).

You've clarified that you mean 1 pair of walking sticks (2 sticks), which is good. I've never used or carried pepper spray in my life and wouldn't recommend it!.

I found my merino wool buff to be excellent - versatile temperature control without needing to stop walking.

Gloves are essential and a hat/hood/buff combo for warmth.
This is for March and according to my research here, it is still gonna be cold plus the rain. So, would a fleece under a rain jacket enough? I'm afraid that will be hypothermic.

My comments:

1 pair hiking boots - Unless you are USED to wearing boots, I'd wear flexible trail runners instead but that's a huge topic on here.
2 pairs of walking sticks (will buy in SJPDP) - You only need ONE pair???
1 winter jacket (shell with insulation) - You do not need this. Instead, take a featherweight raincoat, poncho, or windbreaker
1 pair of sweatpants - You will never wear these plus they are too difficult to dry. Layer lightweight pants instead.
3 pairs of merino wool socks - 2 pair is all you need; one to wear and one to wash

2 pairs of quick-dry long-sleeved shirts (should these be merino wool as well?) - I'd take only one long-sleeve and one short-sleeve shirt. Merino or bamboo are nice if you can afford them. Otherwise, any shirts will be fine.
1 first aid kit - All you need are 2 or 3 bandaids and a few ibuprofin. Buy compeed in Spain. That's it. Any other thing you need you can buy on the way in any village or your albergue will have first aid kits. Or, every pilgrim you pass will be happy to help you.
1 bodycare kit - Take a bar of shampoo/soap, a toothbrush, and paste. Smush some deoderant into a small container. See my blog.
1 pepper spray for dogs (I love dogs but.. just in case :) ) Please do NOT take pepper spray. FIrst, you cannot take it on the airplane and second, it's useless. There are no vicious dogs on the Camino that I've seen in 7 trips. Instead, if a dog is barking at you, bend over and pick up a rock and he'll run away. They know rocks.

This is a very thorough review haha. I like it :)

I just bought my hiking boots today and I love it! It feels so comfy and the best thing is, the design is so cool it reinforces my step and it feels like my walking speed is doubled.

Sweatpants are very very comfy for me. That's what I'm gonna wear in the albergues.

Ok, a lot of you are against the pepper spray. So NO more pepper spray then :)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A fleece under a windbreaker will be fine.
You may start out cold in the morning, but that only lasts about 5-10 minutes.
Then you begin to sweat and peel off layers.
A heavy coat will be weight you do not need and I promise you, you will dump it.
So if you are going to take one, take one you can get rid of because I promise you, you will toss it after 2 days of carrying it.
If you wear layers, you can peel them off as you warm up.
And you won't get hypothermic if you have something to stop the wind.
I'd suggest a warm but featherweight wool beanie.

I'm still not clear on what pants you plan to wear normally while walking if it is not raining. Personally I would take some normal walking pants supplemented by rain pants when necessary, with additional long thermals that I would sleep in but which are available as an extra layer if you get very cold weather. If you want the sweat pants (and I assume, importantly, that they have very little or no cotton content) then they might serve instead of thermal long johns.

So, would a fleece under a rain jacket enough? I'm afraid that will be hypothermic.

I see you added "windbreaker". In March that needs to be a waterproof breathable jacket, but it can be very light weight. If it is really cold, you will not just be wearing a fleece under the rain jacket. You will wear: sweat pants or thermals, walking pants or rainpants, one or even both of your long sleeved shirts (merino wool would be great) plus the medium fleece plus the waterproof jacket. With a wool buff and a beanie you should be quite warm!

Warm hands are important to me, so I take two pairs of lightweight gloves plus some latex gloves in my first aid kit. They help in a pinch, especially over merino wool liners.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is no reason, nor any excuse to export that to "fight off" poor dogs, nor humans. Can't understand the paranoia either. If you would not consider using it at home, why in Spain? Heck, family members living in Mexico City have guns in the glove compartment - do I want them bringing them here? I guess we have Coelho to blame for this dumb fear of dogs.

I beg to differ when it comes to waterproof pants. Can be godsent, together with longjohns. But 100% pro the statement about dogs and pepperspray.

Well, maybe. She will definitely need rain gear. If she has an Altus, she won't need the pants. But if the pants are half of the rain gear, she will want a lightweight rain and wind jacket instead of a heavy coat. My hips get cold and I used to take rain pants if I wasn't taking my Altus. However, 4 times I took them I didn't wear them so I leave them home now. Instead, I wear my Macabi skirt with long johns underneath.

I'm still not clear on what pants you plan to wear normally while walking if it is not raining. Personally I would take some normal walking pants supplemented by rain pants when necessary, with additional long thermals that I would sleep in but which are available as an extra layer if you get very cold weather. If you want the sweat pants (and I assume, importantly, that they have very little or no cotton content) then they might serve instead of thermal long johns.

I see you added "windbreaker". In March that needs to be a waterproof breathable jacket, but it can be very light weight. If it is really cold, you will not just be wearing a fleece under the rain jacket. You will wear: sweat pants or thermals, walking pants or rainpants, one or even both of your long sleeved shirts (merino wool would be great) plus the medium fleece plus the waterproof jacket. With a wool buff and a beanie you should be quite warm!

Warm hands are important to me, so I take two pairs of lightweight gloves plus some latex gloves in my first aid kit. They help in a pinch, especially over merino wool liners.

My sweatpants are more like fleece inside, I think it's the typical sports sweatpants. I like it because it's very warm. I remember wearing it all day long when I went to Quebec in winter and I had no complaints. May I ask what is wrong with cotton? Oh maybe cotton is not warm enough? I agree with that.

One item I will not remove from my list is some form of toilet paper. I never know when nature will call and I want to be prepared. My preference is for a "Pocket Pack" of tissues such as Kleenex which is wrapped in plastic which helps keep it dry.

My sweatpants are more like fleece inside, I think it's the typical sports sweatpants. I like it because it's very warm. I remember wearing it all day long when I went to Quebec in winter and I had no complaints. May I ask what is wrong with cotton? Oh maybe cotton is not warm enough? I agree with that.
Ydan, the issue with cotton, and especially sweatpants is that it takes much longer to dry. Unless the weather is super warm and sunny, you may need to carry wet pants the next morning. Now, if you only wash them in albergues that also have a dryer, then perhaps. But still, that is a very bulky piece of cloathing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ydan, the issue with cotton, and especially sweatpants is that it takes much longer to dry. Unless the weather is super warm and sunny, you may need to carry wet pants the next morning. Now, if you only wash them in albergues that also have a dryer, then perhaps. But still, that is a very bulky piece of cloathing.

That is exactly my plan. I need my sweatpants as daily clothing when not walking. They're just very comfortable!! I do hope to find machines and dryer along the way as I also need to wash everything specially the hiking clothing just to freshen up at least once a week. I will only wash underwear/socks/shirt on a daily basis, the rest once a week at albergues with machines and dryer.

Cotton Kills!! Although cotton is comfortable, it doesn't wick water...it holds water. Your body heat can not dry cotton. Even at 80 degrees...with a 5 knot wind and a cotton shirt...at some point the evaporation will begin to cool you down, down, down. Stick with polypro/cotton mix; 70-80 % poly...30-20% cotton.
Hats are good, though you lose the majority of body heat at the arm pits and crotch. Consequently, more important to keep your core warm (neck to waist) than your head. Ear muffs/band is about right. Gloves...good socks (toes and nose) because as the body temps go down the brain begins to withdraw blood from the extremities to preserve the core area. In an adult, 180 lbs...it takes approx. 15-20 minutes for hypothermia to set in. Long before that your muscles begin to stop functioning. Make a "lifesaver" from a trash bag. Cut a hole for your head and 5 inches from each corner a slot for your arms. It weighs nothing and provides a vapor barrier that will save your life. and costs practically nothing. So, windbreaker, poncho, poly-pro t-shirt, light fleece and a Lifesaver and you are good to go below 10 degrees. It was below 10 degrees these last two days...I am still in shorts and comfortable.

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sunscreen!

Thanks for the reminder but I am not a sunscreen fan. I have a very oily skin and if I add sunscreen, I will look like a walking oil factory. I will just wear long-sleeve shirts, a wide hat and sunglasses and I'm ok :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Also Hape Kerkeling (the German comedian whose book inspired many a German pilgrim) wrote about wild/dangerous dogs. Seems that is a 'must-have' topic each 'famous' author includes in his/her Camino book but that doesn't make it true! Buen Camino! SY

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back