• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter walking options

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
i understand wild adventurers cross mountains in winter and no part of any of the Caminos are Everest..... but if you just want a walk with accommodation no more than 40km apart (preferably within 30km) are you restricted to the Frances?
I've been around here a while now and I know I could go to accommodation guides for all the different routes and look up the winter closures....but I thought someone more experienced is probably holding all that information in their head and could give me a quick heads up.
Tell me to follow my own advice and that the research is all part of the fun if you like and I'll understand;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Depends how far you plan to walk and your budget. The Xunta albergues in Galicia are open all year round so the final 100km of the Portugues, the Ingles and the Primitivo are all easily done. A lot of private albergues and many of those on other routes will be closed and you may have to find private rooms more often.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
i understand wild adventurers cross mountains in winter and no part of any of the Caminos are Everest..... but if you just want a walk with accommodation no more than 40km apart (preferably within 30km) are you restricted to the Frances?
I've been around here a while now and I know I could go to accommodation guides for all the different routes and look up the winter closures....but I thought someone more experienced is probably holding all that information in their head and could give me a quick heads up.
Tell me to follow my own advice and that the research is all part of the fun if you like and I'll understand;-)
Hi, Rachael,

I just finished with updating my Camino de Madrid distances & albergues & infrastructure list for two forum members today and I realized that most of the albergues on that route are open even during the winter. Most of them are municipal and have that only purpose while hospitalero/as are locals.

As already said Xunta albergues are also run by locals and hence they are opened year around.

I think you could do (from the Caminos I walked) Levante, Madrid, Sanabres, Invierno, Ingles and Fisterra/Muxia no sweat in the winter with some thorough research and planning though.

Levante at least till Toledo (after that there are two mountain passes which could have snow I imagine). I walked Toledo-Zamora in early April without a problem although saw only 2 pilgrims before Zamora. The Mozárabe or the Plata would be doable too. I did the Plata once in February (Sevilla - Salamanca) and except for one or two municipals everything else was open. But if I recall correctly you had a horrible weather experience on the Plata right?

Look forward to hearing feedback as I am also getting an itch to walk around December.

Eroski includes dates when albergues are open, so you could match your search to their list of albergues. i hope you are taking along a crocheted poncho to keep you warm!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Norte is available in the winter, as there are many, many alternative accommodation options. I did find that the Albergues, when open, were fairly empty, one or two people every couple of days (looking at the Galicia logs). This is a great route to walk with others. I met 2 Spanish groups of 4 on group that was walking a week each year in Feb., and the other doing a month and they both said "often they were the only pilgrims for days".

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.