• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter walking shoes

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
CF in December/January.

Wore my MOABs and was very happy with them last time, a bit of snow underfoot but am expecting more/deeper snow this time around. Coming from the Land Downunder, I am not used to such conditions coupled with long days of walking so what is the best shoe/shoe type in winter? I cannot wear hiking boots or anything tight around my lower shin area. Am leaning towards long gaiters..

Would really appreciate some direction.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This might sound silly, seeing as how folk tend to go for expensive hiking footwear - but - have you thought of snow boots?
Hang on - you are down under? Well, snow is frozen water that falls out of the sky in certain cold weather conditions - comes down as very light small unique flakes and builds up on the ground :D:D.

I have never hiked in mine but do wear them in winter when out metal detecting in rough terrain, muddy freezing cold fields. I wear them all day with no fatigue, and my feet stay warm and dry. Coming home I just run the tap over them to clean them off.
They are supremely comfortable, being 'foot shaped' - so they are roomy and wide at the front - warm, lined, snug, they have deep cleats for grip, and are stunningly cheap too!! Cheap enough to buy a pair and stroll around in them for a few days to see if they do the job.

This sort of thing - (or just Google 'snow boots' for different designs).

big_1486790.jpg

And Decathlon sell specific hiking snow boots - like this

big_1503567.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks David, do you think the first example would be ok to do 20-25km walking? Especially the high points, Roncesvalles, OCebrairo etc?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Gumba - I really don't know. Metal detecting on farmland involves slow rough walking, over pasture as well as ploughed and for some hours in a day, perhaps four or five.
I have never had wet or cold feet nor felt any hot spots (pre-blister points) nor any aches or pains wearing them. For me they are supremely comfortable. As they are roomy I also wear thick winter insulated socks too!

They are not the lightest footwear but comparable to winter hiking boots and they do give great grip on both mud and snow. How they would be on a real hike carrying a pack I don't know but I think they would be fine - but as mine lace up I can adjust the tightness so they don't slip around, and were I ever to attempt a winter Camino I would wear them.

Are you anywhere near a Decathlon or other sports outlet where you can try some?

These are the ones I have

80211-3001191117031619756177.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ah has been removed. A new member named donald1stan, from turkey, made a crypto currency advert post!!

@Gumba - I live in Canada and we have a lot of snow in the winters. We hike every weekend on trails usually in the woods. I wear my Keen trail shoes along with gaiters that go up to my knees. The gaiters keep the snow out of my shoes. I also wear ice cleats on my shoes when walking in the woods. But we have lots of freezing and thawing through the winter here and often the trails are covered in ice. I don't know if cleats are needed in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Gumba - I live in Canada and we have a lot of snow in the winters. We hike every weekend on trails usually in the woods. I wear my Keen trail shoes along with gaiters that go up to my knees. The gaiters keep the snow out of my shoes. I also wear ice cleats on my shoes when walking in the woods. But we have lots of freezing and thawing through the winter here and often the trails are covered in ice. I don't know if cleats are needed in Spain.
Thank you that is really helpful. How deep is the snow you walk through in your trail shoes - and (along with gaiters), they really don't make your feet wet? I really would like to keep (or replace!!!) my MOABs

Sometimes the snow is packed down by many people walking the trail. Other times there may be three or four inches. Once this winter we had to go through a section where we were in snow up to our knees or higher. We were coming down a hill that was not part of a trail. I didnt get any snow in my shoes.

Sometimes the snow is packed down by many people walking the trail. Other times there may be three or four inches. Once this winter we had to go through a section where we were in snow up to our knees or higher. We were coming down a hill that was not part of a trail. I didnt get any snow in my shoes.
Thanks. Walked in winter last year, the days when we had snow there had been a tour group that went through before us so deep snow was taken care of. I doubt we will be so luchy next time around given the time we are leaving (Dec)! Amazing that you did not get snow in your shoes

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just got back from walking the Frances in February. Keeping the feet warm is never a problem but keeping it dry is. I had Keen mid high waterproof boots and water came in the shoes. Not sure how to avoid this. I guess snow boots as Davis has suggest may work but that may be too heavy of boots for Camino as snow is only problem in certain areas. It is not like you can take two boots with you to Camino as it may weight too much. Besides you said you cannot wear boots.

Snow certainly was a problem in walking as mountain areas had few feet of snow and it was melting the next day. There were three or four days out 30+ days, I had to deal with snow. If the accumilated snow was too hard to deal with, we walked on the roads where all of snow are plowed. What you should be more concerned with should be rain as winter is wet time of the year. First week, I was walking with rain everyday. I think gaiters would definitely be beneficial as I think rainwater seep in from where laces are plus you have to deal with mud on trails.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.