• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Weather

Mantimaria4

Time of past OR future Camino
(2012)
Hello,
I try to decide If it would be a good idea to start the walk in the end of November - start of December.
I read a few blogs but confused me. Some people said its really dangerous, some others the weather is not predictable but you should do it without worries. I don't know what to do yet, so I'd like to have an opinion from someone who knows better than i do.
Thank you,
Maria

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Maria. What route are you planning to do?
Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
Hi Maria. What route are you planning to do?
Buen Camino!

I have no idea yet. I'm reading and trying to decide. I order a book also to help me. But if you have something to suggest it would be really helpful.
Thanks for your answer! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Maria.

Your route depends how much time you have and what your priorities are. I'd suggest starting somewhere on the Camino Frances if this is your first Camino as you will meet some other pilgrims even at a quiet time of year. It's fairly sociable, and although some albergues are closed there are enough still open to have comfortable walking days.

You could experience snow especially on the hills, and will see rain at some point as well. Any season other than winter you can be lucky and get some nice warm days, but I don't think you'll get that, I'm afraid. Remember that days will be short so you may start walking in semi darkness.

I've only ever been on the Meseta in winter, and that was just for a week. You get some beautiful sun rises and hazy mornings there. :D

Buen Camino!

Maria, all my Caminos have been in the winter/spring. Conditions are safe or dangerous, not seasons. I finished the Le Puy route at Pamplona in late May, 2010. Crossing the Pyrenees should have been a breeze, but I was, in fact, obliged to go by the alternate route. Conditions were terrible. When I resumed the following winter from Pamplona, walkers coming from behind - everybody overtakes me! - said they had no probs at all with Roncesvalles. Feb 2011 was freezing, but quite dry.

If accommodation is a little scarcer at the cold time, or albergues are not heated, you may want to invest twenty or thirty euros in a hotel or inn. Apart from that, it's the old advice: stay dry, layers not bulk, don't be a hero (in fact, be a sook) in harsh conditions.

I'm tied down in the Euro autumn because it's the Australian spring and I have some bamboo to attend to at that time, but I'd love to do an autumn/winter Camino. So I'm actually a bit envious!

Rob

Maria,
I am answering your request from the COLD and WINDY camino town of Castrojeriz and winter still has not yet officially arrived!

As I have written elsewhere any season can be a wonderful time to walk, but in winter you MUST be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. Learn to read the sky for possible storms and take every precaution.

Not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which
are is often most sincere. Most will usually be heated and/or have
blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts at http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aavmo.html and
http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aafon.html. Luckily during both storms open albergues offered welcoming shelter.

If you are used to walking be prepared and enjoy the journey!

Margaret Meredith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.