• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wisconsin Native - Looking for Travel Companion for Camino May 10 - June 24 Camino Frances

Vikita

Time of past OR future Camino
(May 27 /June (2017 - Hopefully)
The person I was going to do the Camino with has cancelled. I still want to go and would like to start in Roncesvalle in Spain or Pamploma. Is there anyone ( from the Midwest) that is looking for a travel companion who is traveling at this time?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The person I was going to do the Camino with has cancelled. I still want to go and would like to start in Roncesvalle in Spain or Pamploma. Is there anyone ( from the Midwest) that is looking for a travel companion who is traveling at this time?

Hi, Vikita, welcome to the forum. I'm from the midwest, but I'll be leaving a week after you and walking a different Camino.

Without wanting to sound snarky, this may be the best thing that ever happened to you. In mid May on the Camino Francés you will meet tons of people and will fall into companionship and into stride with the people you're the most comfortable with. So often friends find that their walking styles, speeds, starting times, eating schedules, etc, are totally incompatible. Look at this as a great opportunity to "walk alone" without ever really having to be alone unless you want to. I have walked caminos with very dear friends, and they were wonderful experiences, but the truth is that for the last 8 years or so, I've walked alone every summer. And I have gotten hooked. Do some searching on the forum with "walking alone" in the search box and you will see this is not an unusual opinion. It is a little more anxiety-producing before departure, perhaps, but once you take your first step that anxiety melts and you will just be on the camino walking. Within a very short time, you'll realize you have all the companionship you want right at your fingertips.

Lots of people here can help calm your nerves and confirm that you will be fine, so keep in touch with us on the forum. What a wonderful experience awaits you! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Picking a walking partner sight unseen online is not necessarily wise. Do they walk the same pace you walk? Do they like to get up at the same as you? Do they like to leave the albergue immediately in the morning? Or do they need two cups of coffee before setting out? Do they like long breaks or short breaks? Do their far right/left politics agree with yours? Do their religious beliefs agree with yours? Can they keep their politics and religious beliefs to themselves if not? Do they like to talk all the time? Do they sing the same damn song mile after mile?

Instead of picking someone out online, I think most Camino veterans would suggest walking on your own for a couple of days. Notice who walks your pace. Notice who gets up at the same time. Notice who keeps their political views to themselves. Notice who likes to give others their own space from time to time.

You will soon naturally gravitate to the people with your walking style.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you were to have walked with a friend, you would have missed out on all the friends you are about to make along the way. Walking alone is my personal choice, but I treasure the memories of those I walked with spontaneously. It was truly the best of both worlds. Welcome to the forum and wish you Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Vikita: I agree with the other posts...a blessing to be walking alone. If you do find someone to walk with through your post, you might want to agree to start together leaving the option to separate after you get comfortable with the routine. It will make it easier to part if you are not compatible. That said, I'm sure you will be nervous about starting out alone. Here are some recommendations that may help. Once you actually start to walk you will be among other pilgrims (new and experienced) and everything will fall into place.
1. Plan your transportation from the airport to your start point in advance. Make reservations or have departure times for bus/train. I always print out specific instructions (using forum advice) so I know exactly what to do when I get off the plane. If you are uncomfortable with the language/public transportation, take a taxi to the train station or bus depot (some buses leave directly from the airport). Print off all addresses, phone contacts and instructions in English and Spanish (Google translation) so you can hand it to the service worker if you do not speak Spanish.
2. Convert currency in the US. It is easy to use the ATM at the airport upon arrival. On my first trip I felt better knowing I had euros in my wallet and that I didn't need to worry about finding an ATM (exchange rates aren't the best so don't convert too much).
3. Book a pension or hotel for your first night so you can have a moment to rest, repack and explore in privacy. I always check out my starting point - looking for the arrows so I know where to start the next morning. I pick up water and snacks and eat a good dinner too.
4. Order your credential before you leave so you don't have to worry about getting one on your first day (although it is very easy to do).
5. Take a Camino book (or download a book) to read on the plane. There are many personal stories available and it will keep your mind off of "what might happen or go wrong" and, instead provide a sense of excitement and anticipation.
6. In case you need to forward some clothes/belongings to Santiago... I preprint labels and bring brown wrapping paper and tape to mail my travel clothes to my hotel in Santiago. I also map out the location of the post office before I leave. Once I arrive at my hotel, I wrap everything and walk to the post office. My first time (having little langiage skills), it was confusing. This way you just hand the package to the person.

A little unsolicited advice:)! But I feel the fear for anyone that has not traveled alone before is in the unknown and what can go wrong. Having a detailed plan to get yourself there helps you feel more in control. Once you get on the Camino throw all that away and walk in faith...everything will work out.

Lots of people here can help calm your nerves and confirm that you will be fine, so keep in touch with us on the forum. What a wonderful experience awaits you! Buen camino, Laurie

What Laurie is saying is what I experienced...
wanted to walk, at first I was going to use a company to book ALL my accommodations all the way thru...
after I started reading this blog and researching (and researching!!) I discovered that I could make my own and I would be okay and that way I could have more flexibility and freedom on my camino but I was nervous about doing it alone...
then a lady I knew was going to walk with me and I felt calmer about it...
then she backed out...
then I felt more nervous and anxious about it...
then everyone on here did exactly that - calmed me down, reassured, provided their own experiences and PRESTO ~ I am walking alone and VERY much looking forward to it.
Besides I won't be alone. God will be with me and a WHOLE bunch of other pilgrims ;) but the upshot is that when I need to walk alone I can.
Good luck to you and I hope you still do your camino.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back