• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wisdom Required!

Mack

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017 Sarria to Santiago de Compostela
I would like some wisdom from experienced pilgrims as to:

1. Should I always carry my passport and money on me whilst walking or leave it in my luggage which will be transported to the next place.

2. Are a pair of waterproof trousers essential for the Camino Frances? I'm walking in April.

Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For question 1 - always carry your passport and money on your person. Never let them be carried on ahead. Rucksacks will be left unattended and stuff can and does go missing. You are also required by Spanish law to have an official national identity document - ID card or passport - on you at all times. Unlikely that the police will ever stop you to ask for it though. My money and passport stay in zipped pockets of the hiking trousers I always wear.

I wore my rain overpants for warmth a few times in April and at other times to keep me dry. Wearing my thermals would also have worked to keep me warm but I preferred to use my rain pants because easy to get on and off. I started walking from SJPdP on 2 April.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Water-proof anything is a sure fire guarantee for sweat, stink, rashes scratching BO while trousers may encourage jock itch waterproof shoes are great for sprouting athletes' foot. Your clothes get wet? Throw them into a dryer that evening in the albergue.
A closer look at my picture <- you will see a passport sized pouch around my neck linked under my arm. Money and credit cards can be divided between wallet and pouch, since I carry my bag, I also have a stash way in the bottom there too. Never faced any desperadoes in Spain but it is so easy to walk off and leave a wallet or credit card on a counter somewhere.

1. Should I always carry my passport and money on me whilst walking or leave it in my luggage which will be transported to the next place.

2. Are a pair of waterproof trousers essential for the Camino Frances? I'm walking in April.

Hello Mack,

1. I would keep your passport and money with you. I remember coming across someone in Santo Domingo de la Calzada whose luggage had been transferred to the wrong albergue. I'm sure this was an unusual occurrence, and he was eventually able to locate his bag, but you might want to keep your passport and money with you in case there is some sort of mishap.

2. I walked in September and October 2014. I took waterproof trousers with me. I got reasonably lucky in that it didn't rain on many days during the five weeks I was on the Camino Frances, but one day when I was walking from Leon to San Martin del Camino it rained heavily for about five hours straight, and I was glad I had them.

Buen Camino!

Matthew

Always keep passport and money with you.

Rain wear is a very personal choice. Rain pants work well, if you buy good quality.
Pat and I wear them. Totally breathable, no condensation..........no problems.
We wear them as an extra layer if cold or windy. Not just for rain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Totally breathable, no condensation..........no problems.
What brand are they Robo? I´m looking to buy new ones soon and I have no clue at all what to buy. Exept that I really want them to be lightweighted and maybe be able to put them on without taking my hiking boots of.

What brand are they Robo? I´m looking to buy new ones soon and I have no clue at all what to buy. Exept that I really want them to be lightweighted and maybe be able to put them on without taking my hiking boots of.

They are made by Berghaus. Made of Gore-tex. 3/4 length side zips, for venting and also easy to take on and off without removing footwear. Very light. mine are 237 gms Pat's are 205 gms. We bought ours at Mountain Designs in Australia. Not cheap, but very good.
I think these are the ones we have.
https://int.berghaus.com/mens-paclite-gore-tex-pant/432373.html

Last edited:
Thank you @Robo . :) These are the exact once I have been most intrested in, glad to hear that you recomend them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After many experiments (overpants, waterproof pants, Gore-tex stuff...), what me and many friends found most comfortable to wear under the rain in Spring to Autumn everywhere below 1500-2000 of altitude are the leggings. Yes, leggings:
- they keep you warm and allow 100% perspiration
- they are light
- the rain doesn't drip in your shoes
- they dry in few minutes when the rain stops, because of your body warmth

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I would NEVER keep my passport and money (which weigh nothing and are easy to carry) anywhere but on my person (or just outside the shower stall and in sight). An argument might be made for a well hidden stash of money in your bag in case you lose your wallet, but I wouldn’t do that myself.

I always take waterproof trousers. They do add weight but, in addition to helping in the rain, they can provide extra warmth if needed.

I bought Salomons and the best investment ever - three caminos later and they are still fabulous - very light and completely breathable - a tad pricey but really worth itXX

It may be chilly in April if your pants are wet. Personally I would bring them but then I'm used to heavier packs. The rain pants could be worn while you are washing the rest of your clothes.

Keep your valuables with you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the CF in April/May last year. First day on the meseta experienced horizontal rain/sleet, it was brutal. Many arriving in the alberque that evening were verging on hypothermic. Be sensible with your gear and use a weather app to check the upcoming weather to enable you to be prepared.

Regarding rain pants; I use a medium sized white kitchen garbage bag, the ones that have the plastic draw loops. I cut the bottom off so that it becomes a skirt that comes below my knees. The loops can be run through my pack hip belt. It takes up little space, weighs next to nothing, costs next to nothing, and goes on and off extremely quickly. Lots of airflow to things don't get too humid down below, and I'm not too worried about my calf and feet getting wet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I will wear a rain kilt over my shorts if the rain is hard enough; otherwise my poncho keeps most of the rain off my legs. I'd rather have a bit of rain on my skin and stay well ventilated, then to sweat up a storm in waterproof gear. :) If it is really cold enough, I will wear a base layer (sort of like tights) under my shorts.

Other folks have their own preferences.

1. Yes.

2. I used a poncho- big enough to cover me and my back pack inside!

Buen camino!

Best

Håvard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Passport always on you n money

Waterproof yes

I think the passport aueatio

I think the responses to passport question has been pretty much unanimous. Keep it on your person or at least very close.

As for rain pants, there are many preferences, I realize, but I wouldn’t go without them. My Marmots were $100 U.S. and they have been a life saver. I was also on the Meseta early last May in a long-lasting sideways blowing rain (30km sustained wind). My rain pants were a huge part of why I wasnt among those who nearly froze or the other group that took taxis ahead.
So, as for me, good, lightweight zip off rainpants are a must.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I much appreciate all the comments. I know know what to do!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Yes, carry your money and passport with you at all times. Even to the shower in the albergue. Yes you need either waterproof pants, or a long pincho and gaiters. Walked the camino frances last yeat

Walked the camino frances last April. In a record dry year, needed waterproof pants, or a long poncho and gaiters.without them rain runs down your legs and into your boots/shoes. Once your socks are wet its game over . Bring rain gear, leave something else home.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
ur

Waterproof trousers some people use and others don't purely and individual choice. I have completed several Caminos and never used them. As for your passport and money - with you at all times.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Never ever be separated from your passport, money and any other valuable that you can’t lose! You carry them everywhere!

I am walking in April and not taking waterproof trousers.
Enjoy

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back