• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise Pilgrim App Porto to Vigo

NamaMama

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018)
I have read other threads on the Wise Pilgrim app. I am looking for confirmation that I am on the right track…..Will the Wise Pilgrim Camino Portugués app alone be sufficient for walking from Porto to Vigo? I see that some others have posted that they use it in conjunction with other apps. Thank you!

Edit: I should have stated that we want to use the app instead of a guidebook.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As someone who does use other apps, I think that the Wise Pilgrim Portuguese app rather than the all routes should suffice even if you are relatively inexperienced. I know I use other apps for mapping and a general browser to check other information sources. In part that was because I walked to Fatima in 2022, and that was not a route covered by the Wise Pilgrim app. That said, the mapping in the Wise Pilgrim Portuguese app seems more than adequate, and I understand the other content is kept up to date. So provided you update the app, you should be getting the latest info available from the developer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
sometimes the best app is no app.
leaving Porto , keep the river Douro at your left untill you reach to the Atlantic Ocean keep the Ocean at your left.
in Caminha cross the Lima river by ferry or watertaxi , then follow the yellow waymarkers to A Guarda and Santa Maria de Oia to Baiona , keeping still the ocean at your left

leaving Baiona once arriving in Nigran , turn to the left just beyond the bridge and follow GREEN waymarkers. After few meters you see the ocean again.Follow the GREEN waymarkers to Vigo, keeping the ocean at your left.

Another question for you @wisepilgrim - is it a way to use the Portugese app to help with the switches between Coastal and Central? I am thinking of doing Vila do Conde switch :)

Another question for you @wisepilgrim - is it a way to use the Portugese app to help with the switches between Coastal and Central? I am thinking of doing Vila do Conde switch :)
The route is shown on the map, but it is not described. That will change next week though as I plan to visit that area.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The route is shown on the map, but it is not described. That will change next week though as I plan to visit that area.
Niiiice! I am walking in september so that will be more then timely for my sake. Thank you! I have already used your app on the Frances, so it is a companion on my next as well.

It is so easy to find your way from the coastal to the central in Vila do Conde.
once you arrive at the bridge in Vila do Conde ,turn to the right after the bridge and follow the yellow waymarkers to São Pedro de Rates

If you turn to the right and directly after 2 steps to the right again you will go underneath the bridge and by following the yellow waymarkers there you keep on the coastal caminho. The Caminho Português is so well waymarked that you do not need any guide of app at all. You could use the guide or app to find where you can stay the night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Curious to know the backstory on this…
He is of the opposite political party of the regional (Xunta) government. He’s been in office for ages, is an absolute lunatic of a showman, and is the president of the association of mayors in all of Spain.

He’s the most famous Mayer in Spain and he knows it. He surely understands the economics of pilgrims but will never be over the politics of it.

Here is his wiki, but do yourself a favor and find a video in YouTube too.

That would be great. Hoping to pick up the cycle route from just past Vila de Conde to rates to avoid the traffic. Any help for that very welcome x

It is so easy to find your way from the coastal to the central in Vila do Conde.
once you arrive at the bridge in Vila do Conde ,turn to the right after the bridge and follow the yellow waymarkers to São Pedro de Rates

If you turn to the right and directly after 2 steps to the right again you will go underneath the bridge and by following the yellow waymarkers there you keep on the coastal caminho. The Caminho Português is so well waymarked that you do not need any guide of app at all. You could use the guide or app to find where you can stay the night.
Thank you for this! Good to know :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As the maker of the app, I can say yes.
And I can proudly add that it includes all of the many ways to get into Vigo, along the prettiest roads. This is no small feat given the mayor’s disdain for pilgrims.
Apologies for my ignorance. Will the app show me where I am and where the route is? I've grown dependent on navigation showing me how to get from one place to another. I'd just open the app on my phone to map my location and the route? Thank you

I have read other threads on the Wise Pilgrim app. I am looking for confirmation that I am on the right track…..Will the Wise Pilgrim Camino Portugués app alone be sufficient for walking from Porto to Vigo? I see that some others have posted that they use it in conjunction with other apps. Thank you!

Yes, it's good. I used it last fall for the Portuguese Coastal

Apologies for my ignorance. Will the app show me where I am and where the route is? I've grown dependent on navigation showing me how to get from one place to another. I'd just open the app on my phone to map my location and the route? Thank you
Yes. It doesn’t do turn by turn, but for walking the Camino that is excessive.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

The Wise Pilgrim app alone will suffice, as much as any other app or guidebook or more. I will admit that I am one of the people that carry multiple apps. I like to check them against each other and sometimes there is content in one that isn't in another (like reviews pilgrims have provided for accommodations). They are cheap enough (especially in the context of what I am spending on the trip overall) that it doesn't seem a great burden to carry multiple, either financially or physically (weighing nothing as they do).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back