• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wise pilgrim apps

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I have only just come across these.
Has anyone used them? Are they as good as they appear? Seems a great way to carry a lot of information.
Feedback welcomed before I go purchasing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I downloaded an app for the Via de la Plata earlier this year and I have 2 comments that would apply to most apps. Firstly they can be out of date - certainly for the VDLP regarding the routes and also the albergues, many of which had closed and several new ones opened. Also they contain a person's opinion, when what you want are hard facts.

Has anyone used them? Are they as good as they appear? Seems a great way to carry a lot of information.
Hi Kiwi-Fam. What Apps are you thinking about? I do not see any Apps listed in your post. Perhaps my laptop is not showing?. Thx. Ed

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yep, that's the one.
Things like distances and locations of fountains are not too personal - they seem like the hard facts to me.
Yes, there may be opinions of albergues, and yes the details may be out of date....but I'm wondering if the benefits outweigh the problems.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I downloaded WisePilgrim app but I never used it during the camino. I think It's useless. I used only one app during the way named Camino. You can see a details list of albergue with picture.
And I have a GPS software what I used to track my way.

I have just searched for and downloaded the WP mobile App. for the Camino Portuguese Coastal. As it is my first Camino, I thought it would be very useful! I ignored the comments on the reviews on Google Play download that the map function crashed...as the owners had responded by saying it had been fixed. Ok, so I have paid for and downloaded the app. Tried to download the map......it crashed, and ever since has said: 'Portuguese has stopped working'. All the other functions are working on the App...but the map was a big part of why I bought it. Anyone else had the same thing? Anyone know if I am being a philistine and can help out technically?
Should have just trusted in my feet, my written guide and what happens spontaneously on the Way!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used the Wise Pilgrim app, and a couple of others, along with the forwalk.org website. Each app has its strengths and weaknesses. The Wise Pilgrim app crashed every time I tried to use the maps. I haven't found one that does it all.

I can’t speak for all Wisepilgrim apps but can speak highly for the CF and Finnisterre/Muxia. They are my preferred guides because they are not based on stages and are easy to use. And when I say easy I mean bleedin’ obvious which I need especially at the end of a long hot afternoon after a day of walking! :p:p:p My favourite bit is the continuous elevation profile map that covers the whole route. The offline profile map list towns and villages, gives the distances, and has info about places with food/drinks and accommodation. And even better, on my phone one screen worth of the profile map is approx 20 kms which makes planning a piece of cake because that’s my preferred daily distance. And yes I know many of you, including @Kiwi-family ;) walk heaps further but it is easy to scroll.
As well as the profile map there is more specific info that you can drill down to about towns and accommodations...where to stay, what to see.
Hi @trecile, maybe I was lucky but I never had a problem downloading the maps and used them regularly to locate albergues and other accommodations when in town but I did have a Spanish sim. The majority of the app can be used offline ie. all the profile maps, routes, info about accommodations, regions, towns, etc. but for online maps and connecting to booking.com to book a private accommodation you need to be on wifi or have a sim.:)
516F6159-8B24-4F46-A470-04E465C69CD3.jpeg

Last edited:
I will admit I used a number of Camino apps while I walked last summer. They are generally inexpensive and add no weight! By using more than one, I could triangulate their information against each other, access different reviews, etc. Wise Pilgrim was certainly one of the main ones. I also liked Camino Pilgrim.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We used the WisePilgrim for the CF in summer 2016. It was helpful when we got closer to Santiago and wanted to book rooms. It seemed fairly accurate and it was no more opinionated than any of the other guide books .

We used the Wise Pilgrim app for Camino Frances, no significant issues, found albergue San Bol closed, found Albergue Los Dos Alemanes closed [I have notified Wise Pilgrim via private conversation]. Note, if you find a discrepancy with the apps please send a private message to Wise Pilgrim [forum member] and he will take action. Oh, by the way, I just downloaded the Wise Pilgrim App for Camino Portugues. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

In Sept and Oct 2017 I took the CF app from Wise Pilgrim as well as the book and used them between Pamplona and Fromista. I like to have both as back-up. I found them perfectly good. I left Brierley at home, but from memory he had more marked items on the route which were useful for distance calculation when I was getting tired! (E.g. Rest areas). I don't need Brierley's spiritual musings and his guide weighs slightly more than Wise Pilgrim.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Loved the wise pilgrim apps—download offline maps—for both the France snd the Portugues BUT am having problems with the Finisterre. I downloaded the map, it “unpacked” , said DONE, but then nothing available. I have deleted the app and then reinstalled it twice. Each time same thing , going through process of downloading but then still not available. Any work around? Leaving for Finisterre in 2 days and was hoping to have map working

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.