• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise Pilgrim Camino Frances App

JodieR

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Hola! We leave from St Jean Pied de Port on April 1. So almost packed and ready to go!
Does anyone have any feedback on the Wise Pilgrim Camino Frances App (the paid version). Is it worth buying, reviews seem to be quite old!
Gracias. Buen Camino

Edit: thanks everyone i have purchased the app and been using it this week! Appreciate everyone making the effort to give me advice!
We leave Sydney on Tuesday morning, bags are packed, we’re ready to go!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My answer would be a bit biased, so I will just thank everyone above that gave me the thumbs up. Your support is greatly appreciated.

I have a few more features on my wish list for the app, and although they won't make it into the app before Semana Santa they will make it shortly after.
Thank you for your reply, happy to purchase the app - but have previously bought ones that did not live up to expectations! The reviews on the app store seemed quite old (3yo) see attached - so thought it wise to check with the brains trust here.

Attachments

• Wise Pilgrim app reviews (recent).png.png
    Wise Pilgrim app reviews (recent).png.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 16
I can highly recommend it.

And since you are here, @wisepilgrim , does it update itself automatically, or what do I do to update it?
My answer would be a bit biased, so I will just thank everyone above that gave me the thumbs up. Your support is greatly appreciated.

I have a few more features on my wish list for the app, and although they won't make it into the app before Semana Santa they will make it shortly after.

I can highly recommend it.

And since you are here, @wisepilgrim , does it update itself automatically, or what do I do to update it?
I recently added the ability to push updates 'over the air,' and will use that feature to send content related updates like updated prices and availability. For the sake of stability I will use the ordinary app store method for updating new features, and for those to appear automatically depends on the settings of your phone.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I recently added the ability to push updates 'over the air,' and will use that feature to send content related updates like updated prices and availability. For the sake of stability I will use the ordinary app store method for updating new features, and for those to appear automatically depends on the settings of your phone.
Thanks. As my setting on my iPhone is set to auto update, it should come over for new versions.

Your app(s) have been very useful for me, both during walking, and also for planning. But I also bring with me your paperback for afternoon leisure reading accompanied by a beer or two....

Last edited:
Thanks. As my setting on my iPhone is set to auto update, it should come over for new versions.
I think the auto update setting only affects the iPhones operating system, and that the updates to apps appear on the App Store (I get a number on the icon showing how many apps have updates pending).

I think the auto update setting only affects the iPhones operating system, and that the updates to apps appear on the App Store (I get a number on the icon showing how many apps have updates pending).
I have an Android phone, so I don't know if it's the same with iPhones, but I can set my apps to automatically update when an update is available, or to notify me when an update is available so that I can choose whether I want to update it or not. This pertains to the apps, not the operating system.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also use The Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps, as well as Gronze.com.
Both Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino have the feature to download the map of the Camino and use this map offline (you see yourself as the little blue dot.) This was extremely helpful one time when I did get lost (daydreaming and missed the arrow.) I prefer the elevation profile on The Wise Pilgrim and the "Plan your daily stages" on Buen Camino. I don't take a book and find the apps have everything I need and consider them a bargain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola! We leave from St Jean Pied de Port on April 1. So almost packed and ready to go!
Does anyone have any feedback on the Wise Pilgrim Camino Frances App (the paid version). Is it worth buying, reviews seem to be quite old!
Gracias. Buen Camino
Absolutely! I am planning my 6th Camino on the Via de la Plata
Gracias. Buen Camino

Gracias. Buen Camino
Absolutely. I am planning my 6th Camino this year and contacted the author witha question about a link failure two weeks ago. We spent several hours over 4 days testing updates until the Via de la Plata route information was updated and all links worked correctly. Michael is extremely dedicated to providing updates and accurate information for us. His guide book is also available for download which is a plus when internet connection is unavailable. Enjoy your Walk.

Wise Pilgrim was a great asset on my first Camino Frances last Fall and I used the Finisterre app, as well. I'll be using it again for my May/June Frances in a few weeks. Easy to use, and the navigation function gave us a sense of security when we didn't see anyone on the trail ahead of us. (Did we miss an arrow? Hmm...let's check Wise Pilgrim.)

What is the difference between the paid and free versions?
At a minimum the author gets a (very) few euros. I know that these days everything virtual can be free; but on this occasion it takes an actual human to compile and update the data.

I don’t know why there is a free option either; I just pay the man and still would if it were several times the price. A decent daily newspaper in the UK costs as much as a constantly updated Wisepilgrim app. The world’s gone mad.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The reviews on the app store seemed quite old (3yo) see attached - so thought it wise to check with the brains trust here.
Ok, let’s see how brainy this brains trust really is. If @JodieR asks here for reviews of the Wise Pilgrim apps and gets raves from forum members, and if @JodieR tells you that the reviews are all several years old on the app store, doesn’t that suggest some logical action for the forum members who are users of the app to take to correct the deficit?

Ok, let’s see how brainy this brains trust really is. If @JodieR asks here for reviews of the Wise Pilgrim apps and gets raves from forum members, and if @JodieR tells you that the reviews are all several years old on the app store, doesn’t that suggest some logical action for the forum members who are users of the app to take to correct the deficit?
Agree! The reviews on the app store were not helpful at all - in fact made me unsure about the currency of the app. I look at dates and, of course, the comments when deciding if I should purchase another app. It is not about the money, when it is only a small amount, it is about accumulating useless apps!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Done

Done!

Hello everyone!

It is with great joy that I read the above comments, and am very grateful for the recent reviews. I would have written earlier but I am currently on the Camino Aragonés collecting new stuff for the upcoming update to the Francés app… yes, the two will be combined!

Somebody above asked to know the difference between the paid and the free apps, so let me see if I can explain a bit of the history and motivation. In a nutshell the paid app has more: it is the full content of the guidebook, it has maps which can be downloaded for offline use, and in fact all of the images are also intended to be used entirely offline. The online need is limited only to reading and leaving comments, as this involves live information.

The free app was developed as a response to this thread, where it was made very clear that there was a demand for a stripped down version of the app. A surprising number of pilgrims don’t want to know any of the history or contemporary information about a place… or they have a different source for that information. Many pilgrims were looking for distances and beds. So the All Caminos free app does that and a bit more.

On a fundamental level the reason I do what I do (obsess about the services available to pilgrims) is because I want pilgrims to have the best information possible. I was recently in the Pilgrim Office in SJPP and was appalled by the list that they are distributing…. One of the albergues on the list has been closed for 6+ years, and at least a dozen more have closed since it was last updated. As the camino has become more and more busy this creates a lot anxiety among pilgrims, and anxiety then takes the place of other much more important emotions that the camino would otherwise invite.

So perhaps it is what is needed for everyone to set off with a bit more confidence is a free and digital version of that SJPP list, but one that is tended to more carefully.

Off to Sangüesa, have a great day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone!

It is with great joy that I read the above comments, and am very grateful for the recent reviews. I would have written earlier but I am currently on the Camino Aragonés collecting new stuff for the upcoming update to the Francés app… yes, the two will be combined!

Somebody above asked to know the difference between the paid and the free apps, so let me see if I can explain a bit of the history and motivation. In a nutshell the paid app has more: it is the full content of the guidebook, it has maps which can be downloaded for offline use, and in fact all of the images are also intended to be used entirely offline. The online need is limited only to reading and leaving comments, as this involves live information.

The free app was developed as a response to this thread, where it was made very clear that there was a demand for a stripped down version of the app. A surprising number of pilgrims don’t want to know any of the history or contemporary information about a place… or they have a different source for that information. Many pilgrims were looking for distances and beds. So the All Caminos free app does that and a bit more.

On a fundamental level the reason I do what I do (obsess about the services available to pilgrims) is because I want pilgrims to have the best information possible. I was recently in the Pilgrim Office in SJPP and was appalled by the list that they are distributing…. One of the albergues on the list has been closed for 6+ years, and at least a dozen more have closed since it was last updated. As the camino has become more and more busy this creates a lot anxiety among pilgrims, and anxiety then takes the place of other much more important emotions that the camino would otherwise invite.

So perhaps it is what is needed for everyone to set off with a bit more confidence is a free and digital version of that SJPP list, but one that is tended to more carefully.

Off to Sangüesa, have a great day!
Thank you for the explanation.......it was I who was wondering what the difference was,
I had already downloaded the Wise Pilgrim App and wasn't sure which version I had until you said the pad version had the guidebook in it. Now I know that that is the version I have.

€149,-
Just wondering about the guidebook (and by default the paid app too) because I have not seen one....does it include historical information like Brierley's guidebook?

Just wondering about the guidebook (and by default the paid app too) because I have not seen one....does it include historical information like Brierley's guidebook?
It includes some, just like Brierley includes some. If that is what is of interest to you, though, Gitlitz and Davidson's guide is really the way to go for the Frances and Aragones. Available in paper and e-book formats (I have both).

It includes some, just like Brierley includes some. If that is what is of interest to you, though, Gitlitz and Davidson's guide is really the way to go for the Frances and Aragones. Available in paper and e-book formats (I have both).
Thank you - that's a really helpful reply. Worth more than a thumbs up to me!!

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back