• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise Pilgrim, Camino Portuguese app

federico

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 11 & 14
Norte & Ingles 15
Portuguese 16
Via de la Plata 17
Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo 17
Has anyone used this app? Or if there is already a thread reviewing this app, please indicate. I didn't find one looking through the list or in a search.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Only comment I can make arises from an Australian pilgrim on the Via de la Plata mentioning he was making more use of Wise Pilgrim app than guidebook he was also carrying.

I did use the Wise Pilgrim app last June on the CP (in addition to Brierley's guide). I didn't use the app that much because I had some connection problems on my phone. It did, however, direct me to one of my favorite places to stay - Casa Mattos in Rates. It was a helpful supplement.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used the WisePilgrim app on the Aragones and it worked well. Appreciated its exact positioning of my location on a stretch of the track that was particularly coy in its signposting. However, the maps crashed on WisePilgrim Frances app and it was useless. Michael from WisePilgrim kindly notified me that the Frances app had been fixed, but then it wouldn't even download to my now ancient Samsung Galaxy S3.

I have downloaded the Portugues app and it seems to work on the same phone, including opening the maps. If you download it, check the maps straightaway and if it crashes, apply to get your money back within two hours of downloading.

I used the WisePilgrim app on the Aragones and it worked well. Appreciated its exact positioning of my location on a stretch of the track that was particularly coy in its signposting. However, the maps crashed on WisePilgrim Frances app and it was useless. Michael from WisePilgrim kindly notified me that the Frances app had been fixed, but then it wouldn't even download to my now ancient Samsung Galaxy S3.

I have downloaded the Portugues app and it seems to work on the same phone, including opening the maps. If you download it, check the maps straightaway and if it crashes, apply to get your money back within two hours of downloading.
Thanks Bernice, appreciate the info and the tips. I'll give it a go. Plan to use it in a month as a supplement to other guides.

Follow up, Fredrico? How did it work? I'm planning my Portuguese now for Spring this year. Prefer to use an app vs. guidebook.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I didn't use it as a primary guide because I found it lacking information at times, but it was ok as a supplement to my downloaded guidebook.
Bon Caminho!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used John Brierley's map book guide and found it quite useful.

Hi, we will be taking the Português Central Way shortly and I was curious if it is necessary to have the Wise Pilgrim app in addition to my John Brierley book of maps. There does not appear to be much info in John’s book regarding accommodations. We will not have cellular service during the hike so the Wise Pilgrim app will only be useful if it works off-line

"federico, post: 448105, member: 35198"]Has anyone used this app? Or if there is already a thread reviewing this app, please indicate.

I had the Portugues app on my Samsung Galaxy S8 in September 2017, although way marking was pretty good. We used the accommodation guide some of the time. As long as the route locator works, it's a great little app. I ditched Brierley somewhere along the line, although at least one member of our party had it. My main recommendation to you would be to get a local sim card so you can use the locator and send texts or emails for accommodation requests easily.
Regarding my earlier comments regarding the Frances app, my S5 didn't have enough grunt, therefore it crashed all the time. S8 is fine.
Enjoy your walk.
Bernice

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have downloaded the Wise Pilgrim app for the Portuguese and the new, separate associated app with the offline maps. I don't intend to take a hard copy guide.

I have downloaded the Wise Pilgrim app for the Portuguese and the new, separate associated app with the offline maps. I don't intend to take a hard copy guide.

Thank you so much! I have downloaded the same, can’t go too wrong for $4.98!

Hi, we will be taking the Português Central Way shortly and I was curious if it is necessary to have the Wise Pilgrim app in addition to my John Brierley book of maps. There does not appear to be much info in John’s book regarding accommodations. We will not have cellular service during the hike so the Wise Pilgrim app will only be useful if it works off-line
Necessary? Probably not. Worth it? I think so. But then I generally find the apps worth it. They add no weight and cost very little (especially compared to the overall costs of a trip to Europe). However, I'm in a fortunate situation where I don't have to think long and hard over every $5 I spend.

If you are worried about not having cellular service there is an accompanying app (called Wisely, I believe) that has offline maps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Necessary? Probably not. Worth it? I think so. But then I generally find the apps worth it. They add no weight and cost very little (especially compared to the overall costs of a trip to Europe). However, I'm in a fortunate situation where I don't have to think long and hard over every $5 I spend.

If you are worried about not having cellular service there is an accompanying app (called Wisely, I believe) that has offline maps.
Thanks! I downloaded it. Probably won’t need it but it’s there just in case.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back