• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise Pilgrim CF question

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
A few years back I got the 1st version of the WP CF app (Camino Places), when I purchased the guide book (excellent book!). My question si: Is my app updated automatically, or do I need to take action in order to update, and if so, what are the steps to take?

It is really a helpul (fantastic, actually) app, so I would like to know that I have the last version...

As You can understand, I really want to continue to use this helpful app. Although I enjoy sitting in the afternoons on the Camino, with a slow glass of red, reading the paper guide and planning the next day.

Old man... ;)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A few years back I got the 1st version of the WP CF app (Camino Places), when I purchased the guide book (excellent book!). My question si: Is my app updated automatically, or do I need to take action in order to update, and if so, what are the steps to take?

It is really a helpul (fantastic, actually) app, so I would like to know that I have the last version...

As You can understand, I really want to continue to use this helpful app. Although I enjoy sitting in the afternoons on the Camino, with a slow glass of red, reading the paper guide and planning the next day.

Old man... ;)
It's my understanding that the Camino Places app from @wisepilgrim is no longer available/updated. Wise Pilgrim has a number of apps for different Camino routes which are updated regularly available for Android
and Apple

It's my understanding that the Camino Places app from @wisepilgrim is no longer available/updated. Wise Pilgrim has a number of apps for different Camino routes which are updated regularly available for Android
and Apple
Thank you very much! I hope the WP can chip in here. I checked App Store, and found it. Next question: upon purchase, are (yearly) updates included? And what is the Wisely app?

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you very much! I hope the WP can chip in here. I checked App Store, and found it. Next question: upon purchase, are (yearly) updates included? And what is the Wisely app?
Yes, app updates are included in the price when you purchase an app. The Wisely app is the new name for the Wise Pilgrim's apps.

Yes, app updates are included in the price when you purchase an app. The Wisely app is the new name for the Wise Pilgrim's apps.
Thank you again. I have just bought and downloaded it. A pleasure. I am currently struggling about getting to the maps. And yes, I have downloaded them. But it's all fun and play. This app is soo helpful. Also for this oldtimer (Computer engineer, just wanting to go analog now, at fairly old age)

Old man... ;)
Did you not get the Wise Pilgrim App as well. I certainly did when I bought it from Ivar a few years back. The Camino Places app is discontinued but the WP app, now showing as Francés on my phone, is updated regularly. I suspect you are maybe mixing up your apps as my Camino Places stopped working but the Camino Francés is fine. It currently is showing which albergues are opened or dates when they will open. As long as you have your phone set for automatic app updates you will always have the latest

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Old man... ;)
If I recall correctly, Camino Places was the "Wise Pilgrim Lite" app created in partnership with Ivar and available for free. Even at the time, there was a more fully featured version of the app available for sale. Camino Places is legacy and not being maintained, but the Wise Pilgrim family of Camino apps (now called Wisely+) is regularly updated and if you purchase one of them it will continue to be updated.

Did you not get the Wise Pilgrim App as well. I certainly did when I bought it from Ivar a few years back. The Camino Places app is discontinued but the WP app, now showing as Francés on my phone, is updated regularly. I suspect you are maybe mixing up your apps as my Camino Places stopped working but the Camino Francés is fine. It currently is showing which albergues are opened or dates when they will open. As long as you have your phone set for automatic app updates you will always have the latest
Thank you. Yes it is the new one I am using now. But I haven't figured out how to get up the maps: For some reason, I can't find any hint about that. Help would be nice, fellow pilgrims! 🥺

Thank you. Yes it is the new one I am using now. But I haven't figured out how to get up the maps: For some reason, I can't find any hint about that. Help would be nice, fellow pilgrims! 🥺
Clicking the compass icon in the top right of the app brings you to an interactive map (Apple Maps, with the route and your location marked), which is all I use. Is that what you're looking for or do you want 'still' or elevation maps?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Clicking the compass icon in the top right of the app brings you to an interactive map (Apple Maps, with the route and your location marked), which is all I use. Is that what you're looking for or do you want 'still' or elevation maps?
GOT IT!! Thank you: I owe you (a) beer! I have found the "elevation" function. Not sure what "Still" is.

GOT IT!! Thank you: I owe you (a) beer! I have found the "elevation" function. Not sure what "Still" is.
I'll take that beer on camino sometime!

By still I just meant non-interactive or old-school maps as you might find in a guidebook (e.g. one for each stage). Not sure if the app offers those or not.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

By still I just meant non-interactive or old-school maps as you might find in a guidebook (e.g. one for each stage). Not sure if the app offers those or not.
Now that I see the map, it has the choices of "Standard" map and "Hybrid", which is landscape/terrain.

Old man... ;)
I think it is updated automatically when an update is ready. Four or five years ago my daughter bought me a Wise Pilgrim bundle app for my birthday.
I have a bundle that includes the Portuguese, Finisterre/Muxia, Aragones, Salvador, Invierno, Plata, Inglis Norte and Primitivo. I do not think all these are available in one bundle anymore. All of the apps except for the Aragones and Ingles have been updated. If you go to your App Store on your phone you can see when the last update took place. I know all updates are free and my iPhone automatically updates my apps when I am on wifi.
There is also the Buen Camino app that I believe is now free that is very similar to Wisely. It hasn't been updated in a while. I used both of them when I walked the CF in November/December of 2019. That along with Gronze came in very handy as they all have a small but significant differences in their lists of albergues. Also no source was more than about 60% accurate in regards to albergues that were open or closed at that time of year.
I will be walking the VDLP, hopefully in October/November/December of this year. After Covid the ability to find as many places to lay our heads as possible will be more important than ever. I will probably add Kelly's app to this list too. He seems to keep the VDLP updated better than others.

There are two types of map, three ways. :)

As you noted, there are "standard" and "hybrid" maps, That's two types of map one way.

Another two types of map are the dynamic maps vs the set location map.
You get the dynamic map by clicking on the compass in the top right on the main page or a regional page (e.g. Navarra, La Rioja, Burgos, Palencia, etc.). That takes you to a map centred on your current location. Great for when you are on Camino but not so good for planning from home.

You get the set location map by going to a particular location on the Camino in the app. For example, I can click on the broad Navarra region on the home page and then on the particular Roncesvalles (Orreaga) location within the list on the regional page. Then, you'll notice that the compass on the top right changes to a folding map. If you click on that, it takes you to a map centred on that particular location. These are what I call the set location maps. They seem to be what you are looking for. Once you are in a set location map, the icon in the top right goes back to being a compass and once again will swing the map over to where you are physically located if you click it.

The third two types of map are online and offline maps. Online maps don't take up much space on your phone but do use data. Offline maps are the opposite: the don't use data but do take up memory. By default, the application uses online maps. But if you go to the menu accessed through the three horizontal bars on the top left of the home screen, you'll see a "Mapping" section in the menu with the option to download maps. You can fill up your phone's hard drive and save on bandwidth there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are two types of map, three ways. :)

As you noted, there are "standard" and "hybrid" maps, That's two types of map one way.

Another two types of map are the dynamic maps vs the set location map.
You get the dynamic map by clicking on the compass in the top right on the main page or a regional page (e.g. Navarra, La Rioja, Burgos, Palencia, etc.). That takes you to a map centred on your current location. Great for when you are on Camino but not so good for planning from home.

You get the set location map by going to a particular location on the Camino in the app. For example, I can click on the broad Navarra region on the home page and then on the particular Roncesvalles (Orreaga) location within the list on the regional page. Then, you'll notice that the compass on the top right changes to a folding map. If you click on that, it takes you to a map centred on that particular location. These are what I call the set location maps. They seem to be what you are looking for. Once you are in a set location map, the icon in the top right goes back to being a compass and once again will swing the map over to where you are physically located if you click it.

The third two types of map are online and offline maps. Online maps don't take up much space on your phone but do use data. Offline maps are the opposite: the don't use data but do take up memory. By default, the application uses online maps. But if you go to the menu accessed through the three horizontal bars on the top left of the home screen, you'll see a "Mapping" section in the menu with the option to download maps. You can fill up your phone's hard drive and save on bandwidth there.
Thank you very much for your useful info!

Very neat!

Yes, I downloaded the map(s) in order to use it offline. Much more flexible IMHO when on the Camino. I have also set my iPhone to receive automatic updates in order to be up to date with the app at all times :) Again: Neat.

Again, thanks a lot to all for all help. Although I have an engineering degree in computers, I have (luckily) become a dinosaur after retirement. When I started up, I could see every bit/byte inside the computers I worked with/on!!!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back