• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise Pilgrim Frances app

Ian Afloat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 25th 2017 from SJPDP
Hello, has anyone else had any trouble with this? Apart from the factual accuracies which leave me second guessing stuff, it tends to fall over a lot. Running it on Android. Is it just me?

Ian in Ages.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello, has anyone else had any trouble with this? Apart from the factual accuracies which leave me second guessing stuff, it tends to fall over a lot. Running it on Android. Is it just me?

Ian in Ages.
I loved using this app when I walked the Frances in 2015. Mine was running on Android also.

I used it a lot in 2015 with great success. In planning for a Portuguese Camino in 2018 I purchased the Portuguese version and noticed some app stability issues with the live map. The author has acknowledged the issue and is working to understand and resolve the problem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New guy here on a 4 year old thread, not sure if this is the best way to ask.. but... I downloaded the Wise Pilgrim Frances app to my Google phone and it is working fine. Then I downloaded the maps. That seemed to go fine but how do I see them? Can't find a "Maps" button. I'm in the US, do I need to be in Spain? Or, I have Google Maps, do I need anther app? I feel like the maps are in there, I just can't get them up.
If anyone can offer some advise I will appreciate it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New guy here on a 4 year old thread, not sure if this is the best way to ask.. but... I downloaded the Wise Pilgrim Frances app to my Google phone and it is working fine. Then I downloaded the maps. That seemed to go fine but how do I see them? Can't find a "Maps" button. I'm in the US, do I need to be in Spain? Or, I have Google Maps, do I need anther app? I feel like the maps are in there, I just can't get them up.
If anyone can offer some advise I will appreciate it!
In the upper right corner of the app you will find an icon resembling a compass needle. Push the icon, and the map opens. The map will be of the area you are currently. Zoom out/mve the map to where you want (Spain) and start exploring.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I once wrote a guide about a short Camino (3 days, 64 kms) from Burgos to Covarrubios. It is about the faith of a Norwegian Viking princess who is resting in a sarchophagus in the church there, with a statue outside, and it is special to me, being a Norwegian. You can read it here:

It is also available for free from Wise Pilgrim: I gave him my text and pictures, and he turned my material into a very good app in a matter of days. Good guy.

It is a very nice break if you want to walk 3 days in peace and solitude after arriving in Burgos: Take a bus back to Burgos (40 mins.) and start again on the wonderful Meseta section of CF from there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The Wise Pilgrim apps are very good.
I got the map going but when I close in on a town, the screen fills with black pop-up boxes that appear to be sponsored advertisements. They obscure the Camino trail and the places beneath it., making it very challenging to see which albergues are where!
Is there a way to opt our of the black boxes?

I got the map going but when I close in on a town, the screen fills with black pop-up boxes that appear to be sponsored advertisements. They obscure the Camino trail and the places beneath it., making it very challenging to see which albergues are where!
Is there a way to opt our of the black boxes?
This doesn't happen when I try it. Send a PM to @wisepilgrim for help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I noticed the same thing today.
View attachment 116156
Yes, that looked like overkill. When I check the Frances app, it shows some black boxes (albergues) that are clickable. Nothing as much as your example. I couldn't find any settings for enabling/disabling it.

Again, I think that Michael ( @wisepilgrim ) should be able to clarify.

Yes, that's the pic I get, a field of black pop-ups. I wrote Michael @ wise pilgrim yesterday but did not have a pic like David's to demonstrate the issue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
I haven't heard back from @wisepilgrim, he might be out on the trail.
Of the info in the boxes I like the Km number but the rest is unnecessary if you are just passing through. Even if you're stopping it's redundant. https://photos.app.goo.gl/L12HpobsBFK1Tpvw9
I've never walked it though, so I def could be wrong.
Zoom in further and you won’t see such crowding. Zoom out and they will disappear. They are not ads. They are towns that have services (food, or beds, post offices, trains, busses etc — all indicated by the symbols in the boxes). In real life, it’s very very useful. When you are going 25K, 30K… 42K in one day, it’s so useful to be able to to see where you have opportunities to stop.
I’ve used the CF app twice now, and the CP once. Currently planning my Norte with that WP app and it’s indispensable.
You can also get your live position on the map, so if you move off trail you will know it very quickly.
Good to use those black village markers in conjunction with the elevation map data — can help you decide where you want to have lunch, where you want to sleep…. Because those last 5 K on an ascent (or that last KM *DOWN* into a place like Hontanas can feel like triple the distance…)

Last edited by a moderator:

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back