• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise Pilgrim guide to the Primitivo

Ian Afloat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 25th 2017 from SJPDP
Hello,
Have been sat here in Lugo since Wednesday night giving the plates a bit of a rest and contemplating the Primitivo so far. Heading towards the madness of the last 50km of the Frances tomorrow.
I have been carrying with me and using the latest (2019) edition of the Wise Pilgrim guide. Despite it getting repeatedly soaked with sweat and rain, I’m glad to say that it is surviving well, although I doubt it would get much if I were to put it on eBay.
Having said that, I have 2 problems with the guide. Firstly it is out of date already. Things seem to be moving pretty quickly on the Primitivo at the moment and, understandably, progress or otherwise has overtaken the guide. The area around Bodenaya is a prime example. According to the guide, once you leave Salas you’re first option is David & Celia’s in Bodenaya itself (stay there if you can!) but I passed 2 other options within about 2km of getting to Bodenaya. Vilar de Cas is another example which springs to mind where the guidebook does not reflect the reality.
The second problem I have is with the description of the going. A prime example of this is the description of the route between Salas and Bodenaya. “There is a fair amount of climbing ahead of you”. That has to be the understatement of the century! The climb is often steep and apart from a few hundred metres where it follows a road, is relentless for around 5km with a total ascent of 560m.

It’s not all bad of course. There is some good background to the history and culture of Asturias, Galicia and the towns along the Camino which I always enjoy reading, and the writing style is very readable. It is a small, compact tome which in the scheme of things is of negligible weight and is very pocketable. And it is this which I think is its saving grace. In combination with one of the apps which is available or Gronze, it makes a good guide...and it isn’t prone to internet failures or lack of service, so even if it isn’t totally up to date, you still get a good picture of most of what is available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought the App and found it useful in conjunction with the wonderful free guide on the forum. Even the App is not quite up to date with the latest developments but I like the space for comments by other pilgrims. I guess that the Primitivo is developing so fast now in response to the increased number of pilgrims it is hard to keep up to date.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back