• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Troubleshooting the Wise Pilgrim Norte app map on iPhone

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 - Frances & Portugues
July 2022 - Norte
After several days of working just fine, the Wise Pilgrim Norte app on my iphone stopped changing map size by spreading / pinching 2 fingers. The picture instantly gets so big when touched I can't even find the dotted Camino line. I tried deleting and reinstalling >> nada :-( Ideas? Fixes?

Suzanne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After several days of working just fine, the Wise Pilgrim Norte app on my iphone stopped changing map size by spreading / pinching 2 fingers. The picture instantly gets so big when touched I can't even find the dotted Camino line. I tried deleting and reinstalling >> nada :-( Ideas? Fixes?

Suzanne
Sometimes the screen needs a clean. If it has a smear on it it may not respond in the way you expect.

Is the unusual behaviour only in Wise Pilgrim? If so do what @trecile suggests and try a different app.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Download the Buen Camino app, or Windy Maps. Both are free.
Thank you. No difference after cleaning screen. The "Norte" app was useful because it showed the Camino line as blue dots and where the lodgings were in relation to it. Don't see any map at all or lodgings on Buen Camino app. I downloaded Windy Maps but it doesn't show the Camino either?

Thank you. No difference after cleaning screen. The "Norte" app was useful because it showed the Camino line as blue dots and where the lodgings were in relation to it. Don't see any map at all or lodgings on Buen Camino app. I downloaded Windy Maps but it doesn't show the Camino either?
Okay, I can't help you with those alternate apps nor do I know the Norte.

However, I wonder what you are using the app for.

If you are using the app to navigate along the Norte then usually pilgrims don't need a GPS or online map to navigate between stops and doing so detracts from the pilgrimage. Usually the Camino signage (yellow arrows) is all that is required.

Constantly consulting your phone means that your attention is away from your pilgrimage.

Of course, maybe the Norte is different and pilgrims do need constant directions from their phone, I don't know.

If on the other hand you are using the app to find today's accommodation once you get to where you are staying then I have found that often a map on my phone is useful and I use Google Maps for that because it works for me.

When deciding which accommodation to choose I consult Gronze.com because it seems to have the most up-to-date information.

I hope that this is useful for you.

This is not meant to be derogatory in any sense, just information that works for me.

However, this information doesn't answer your question and the Forum strives hard both to be welcoming and to answer the (actual) questions that people ask. So this is a dilemma for me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wise Pilgrim here, I just wanted to jump into the conversation to let you know that:
1. I have not made any changes to the app recently that would cause this behavior
2. You are the first to report it.

My suspicion is that it is specific to your phone, but I’m not sure what would be the cause. Are you on an Android or apple device.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to tell everyone that the fully and frequently updated list of accommodation is available on wisepilgrim.com for free. I see many mentions of other sites, and how to translate them, and so I thought it would be helpful to let everyone know that I am constantly updating the site and that it is in English natively. It also includes maps of the routes. FWIW.

Happy New Year everyone, I hope to see you in Spain this year! If you are walking along the Portugues route feel free to send me a message on your last day of walking, if I’m free I’ll invite you to a coffee.

-michael

Before you deleted and re-installed the App, did you power down your iPhone and restart it? This procedure often solves many of my iPhone glitches; in fact, I power down my iPhone weekly as a preventative maintenance procedure. BTW I'm not technical enough to know how or why this works.

Suzanne
Do you have a similar problem with the pinching in other apps? Please try with a web page, a photo and Google Maps. The behavior may be an O/S problem and not an app one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If on the other hand you are using the app to find today's accommodation once you get to where you are staying then I have found that often a map on my phone is useful and I use Google Maps for that because it works for me.
This has nothing to do with the app problem but since this was brought up I want to say that I would run Google Maps when passing though a town because it shows places of interests that the camino may not pass but are just a short detour away. The Wise Pilgrim app may do the same, I don't know.

Try shutting the app off and off your phone and resting in for a while then restart it

. After several days of working just fine, the Wise Pilgrim Norte app on my iphone stopped changing map size by spreading / pinching 2 fingers. The picture instantly gets so big when touched I can't even find the dotted Camino line. I tried deleting and reinstalling >> nada :-( Ideas? Fixes?

Suzanne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wise Pilgrim here, I just wanted to jump into the conversation to let you know that:
1. I have not made any changes to the app recently that would cause this behavior
2. You are the first to report it.

My suspicion is that it is specific to your phone, but I’m not sure what would be the cause. Are you on an Android or apple device.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to tell everyone that the fully and frequently updated list of accommodation is available on wisepilgrim.com for free. I see many mentions of other sites, and how to translate them, and so I thought it would be helpful to let everyone know that I am constantly updating the site and that it is in English natively. It also includes maps of the routes. FWIW.

Happy New Year everyone, I hope to see you in Spain this year! If you are walking along the Portugues route feel free to send me a message on your last day of walking, if I’m free I’ll invite you to a coffee.

-michael
THANK YOU Wise Pilgrim. Brand new iphone 13 :( I deleted the app overnite then reinstalled this morning and it’s working perfectly. Apparantly shutting off my phone, deleting and waiting 10 minutes last nite was not enough. Not tech savvy here but I just learned one more thing.

For backup to this #$@!% iphone my BRAND NEW 2022 paperback Wise Pilgrim Camino del Norte guidebook is on its way!!!! :)
(and of course I can't attach a decent picture of the book after 3 tries. But this is a BRAND NEW product from Wise Pilgrim, first edition 2022!!)

Attachments

• AF3B0B06-57B6-4721-AF50-1F3707A9280F_1_201_a.jpeg
    AF3B0B06-57B6-4721-AF50-1F3707A9280F_1_201_a.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
With the Buen Camino app you need to install the app, then download the route that you want to use.
Windy Maps has all the major Camino routes on it, but you need to zoom in to see them. The Camino is the dark blue line in this screen shot.
Screenshot_20220108-085130_Windy Maps.jpg

On Windy Maps the Camino routes are blue and red lines. The blue lines are the original route and the red lines are alternative routes. The lines are not seen unless you make the area really big on your screen. I prefer the wise pilgrim app. We used it to walk the Portuguese camino and it was very useful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the Buen Camino app there is a Index of Localities (click on the pictures to enlarge them)

Screenshot_20220201-193904_Buen Camino.jpg

Click on one of the towns and you will see a list of accommodations

Screenshot_20220201-193941_Buen Camino.jpg

Click on the map symbol

Screenshot_20220201-194439_Buen Camino.jpg

And you will see the map for the area with the option to show accommodations, points of interest, tourist offices and alerts

Screenshot_20220201-194019_Buen Camino.jpg

Here you can see the accommodations on the map

20220201_194239.jpg

I recommend watching the video tutorial to understand all the features of the app

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.