• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wises or Brierley

Louis Lloyd

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French SJPP to Fisterra and Muxia completed
2020 Portuguese from Lisbon
2020 French
Seeking responses for the best printed guide for Lisbon to SdC. Used Brierley on the Camino Francis in 2018 however have seen posts with pilgrims using Wises.I have the Wises app, however still like some paper.
Thoughts please

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Louis - definitely Brierley in my opinion - never found fault with his guides in 7 Caminos however did have Wise on Camino Fisterra last month and found it a bit lacking at some points along the way and the route map wasn't continuous unlike Brierley - Buen Camino!

Seeking responses for the best printed guide for Lisbon to SdC. Used Brierley on the Camino Francis in 2018 however have seen posts with pilgrims using Wises.I have the Wises app, however still like some paper.
Thoughts please
Hi Louis, is Wises the same as Wise Pilgrim. I bought the Wise Pilgrim for CP and find it very confusing, I guess just too much info, I just cant get into it with ease.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you have the Wise Pilgrim “Wisely” app, I would say get Brierlley book. Wise Pilgrim has a really good GPS map and a good amount of accommodations. Brierley maps will give you an easier overview of distances, towns and may make it easier to plan your stages and where you may want to stop. They both have pretty good information on places and what you may pass by. Maybe a little more accessible on Brierley. Another advantage is that no one source has a complete list of places to stay and eat. So having two sources (and throw in Gronze.com) gives you more options.

Last edited:
On paper try Brierley maps and Wise Guide and as suggested elsewhere go to Gronze etc on line.
That is what I will be trying out on CP in September.
Buen Camino

Hi Louis, is Wises the same as Wise Pilgrim. I bought the Wise Pilgrim for CP and find it very confusing, I guess just too much info, I just cant get into it with ease.
Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you have the Wise Pilgrim “Wisely” app, I would say get Brierlley book. Wise Pilgrim has a really good GPS map and a good amount of accommodations. Brierley mPs will give you an easier overview of distances, towns and may make it easie to plan your stages and where you may want to stop. They both have pretty good information on places and what you may pass by. Maybe a little more accessible on Brierley. Another advantage is that no one source has a complete list of places to stay and eat. So having two sources (and throw in Gronze.com) gives you more options.
Thanks that makes sense so I will do that when the next issue is released

Hi Louis - definitely Brierley in my opinion - never found fault with his guides in 7 Caminos however did have Wise on Camino Fisterra last month and found it a bit lacking at some points along the way and the route map wasn't continuous unlike Brierley - Buen Camino!
Thanks for the reply I will purchase Brierley.

I use both. I use Brierley for navigating, distances, to pore over whilst grabbing a coffee or beer etc. and use the Wise app for albergue information and user comments. If I see a comments about bed bugs I keep on to the next one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thoughts please

Hey. having used the briely guide on your CF, if you like the format then the CP version will suit you. I’m on the trail at the moment, about to come into Valença (started from Lisbon) and the book has given me all the info Ive needed. It’s always good to have the wise pilgrim app and there is Elles’ blog too so between them, you’ll have a great time!

Bom Caminho,
Jon

Started from Porto April 12, found the Wisely app slow to load, difficult to use. Bought the TrailSmart app and found it a joy. Ready to use, map was downloaded to my phone and I could use it without data, and the map was easy to use. Also had the latest brierley for the route and would say it's a very useful detailed and helpful guide, especially when it came to an overview of the day's walking. BUT - Used Wise Pilgrim on the Camino Frances last autumn and found it very useful. So for the Portuguese: TrailSmart.
These things cost a few quid anyway so if you don't get on with one spend the price of a bocadillo and maybe save yourself a load of grief and frustration.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Fall 2017, I used the Brierly maps and Wisely app on my iPhone for navigation/distances and resources like places to sleep. Loved that pairing but notice that Wisely has changes to the format and do not like as well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just walked from Tomar to SDC late April
I used both guides.
The Camino prior to Porto can be less than optimally marked in places and many times the yellow arrows are faded and match the colour off the moss on the poles. I accidentally walked off the trail 5-6 times.
I found the off line GPS on the Wise Pilgrim to be very helpful to get me back on track and doesn’t use data. Also the easy access to booking.com is helpful.
It’s pretty cheap and weighs nothing, so I’d bring the WP app for sure.

I use both. I use Brierley for navigating, distances, to pore over whilst grabbing a coffee or beer etc. and use the Wise app for albergue information and user comments. If I see a comments about bed bugs I keep on to the next one.

Thoughts please
Hi just saw this a post from Caminoagogo regarding bed bugs and comments found in wise pilgrim app. The best source of information about specific albergues and pilgrim's experiences are found in the comments in Gronze.com that are found in the descriptions of individual abergues. I don't know what your Spanish comprehension level is, as most comments are in Spanish, but often times you can get a really good idea of the albergue reading the comments. Sometimes the negative comments are most enlightening as I have found a good number of them are not really negative at all. It is people complaining about the simplicity of an albergue, or that the hot water wasn't really hot, or they had a grumpy Hospitalero. But there are also comments about bedbugs and cleanliness. Cleanliness can be subjective, especially if you read the comments and learn the expectations of the person leaving the comment. If you open the webpage on Google Chrome it will translate the comments into English. They are not always a perfect translation but they are usually good enough to get the main idea of the person posting. My Spanish is decent and I still use the translation, as I hate to think too much. I only go back to the Spanish if the translation makes no sense. Then when I read it in Spanish, and am forced to use my brain, I understand what is written.

I
If your main concern is about basic information and maps, then Brierley has a 'maps only' version which is far lighter and more compact.
already have this it was a gift from a family member.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can use a credit card @Stellaluna, no problem! After clicking on the "Buy Now" button (or checkout), look below, near the bottom of the page for the line that says "Pay with Debit or Credit Card" and just click on that link!
I get View Cart then click that but there is no option "Pay with Debit or Credit Card"

If your main concern is about basic information and maps, then Brierley has a 'maps only' version which is far lighter and more compact.
I do have the Maps book i received it as a gift have ordered the full verson

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back