• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

With a heavy heart

mrsp

Time of past OR future Camino
It is with a heavy heart that I am informing you of the death if a fellow Pilgrim.

Andrea Driscoll passed away on 13th October. Details are few but we know that she made it to Santiago and was headed to Finnestere. I don't know if she made it.

She'd had a troubled pilgrimage being robbed twice and left with no money, she was struck by a motorbike and treated for bronchitis.

Her family have informed us that a mass was held at Santiago this last Friday and her name was read in a dedication.

I'm sorry but that is all the information we have at this time.

Despite this being her second pilgrimage, Andrea just wanted to get home.

Thank you all.

Ben Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Going home is never a bad thing. How joyous to return home while on pilgrimage!

The parting is bittersweet for those left behind. The void left by the departed is never filled though we may find others to fill in other places in our heart. Our heart, our mind, re-plays the memories left from a life time of experiences.

Her leaving is painful, but her path is eternal. The Sun will always shine, the gentle winds will be at her back, and may paradise surround her every step.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Forum member--I found her post on this forum as she was getting ready for her camino. I found her profile on the just giving forum where she was collecting donations for the homeless (on her profile notes, she was concerned with the disappearance of Denise). God bless her, and God bless her family. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino en la eternidad.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh my god. What a terrible journey for Andrea; I'm sure she had great hopes and dreams of walking the Camino, but to be robbed not once, but twice? And then not only hit by bronchitis but by a motorcycle? Ay. To continue walking after all that and to reach Santiago, shows great strength and fortitude, physically and especially emotionally. I am so sorry it did not end with her standing at Finisterre watching the sunset. Rest in peace, Andrea; now joined with Dr John and the other pilgrims in the sky to watch over us all.

Thank you for letting us know, @mrsp.

Oh, my dear Lord. May Andrea and her family find comfort in Your loving arms. How especially sad that her Camino was not the experience it should have been. My sincere condolences.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was working in the Camino Office as a volunteer until the 15th, and I had no idea ! My deepest synpathy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My sympathy to all family and friends of Andrea. When I was in SdC this year from 6th till 8th of September I saw Andrea sitting with some people. She looked happy. I was in a rush to be at an appointment so I was not able to talk to her.
Again : may she be in peace.

It is with a heavy heart that I am informing you of the death if a fellow Pilgrim.

Andrea Driscoll passed away on 13th October. Details are few but we know that she made it to Santiago and was headed to Finnestere. I don't know if she made it.

She'd had a troubled pilgrimage being robbed twice and left with no money, she was struck by a motorbike and treated for bronchitis.

Her family have informed us that a mass was held at Santiago this last Friday and her name was read in a dedication.

Thank you all.

Ben Camino.
May you rest in peace Andrea,and may your family find the peace to bear the sorrow they must endure.I,like many of our Camino family ,have tears in my eyes as we yet again mourn the passing of one of our own .please look after her Saint James,she had a hard time on your road,and now deserves her eternal rest and reward.

Thank you all.

Ben Camino.
Our dear Camino Sister is where we all long to be.... In the arms of Jesus. Pray for us, Adrea

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Going home is never a bad thing. How joyous to return home while on pilgrimage!

The parting is bittersweet for those left behind. The void left by the departed is never filled though we may find others to fill in other places in our heart. Our heart, our mind, re-plays the memories left from a life time of experiences.

Her leaving is painful, but her path is eternal. The Sun will always shine, the gentle winds will be at her back, and may paradise surround her every step.
Excellent sentiments, Michael. I could do no better than to echo your thoughts. She must have been truly committed in her faith for the evil one to put some many obstacles in her path. May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in eternal peace.

Andrea has come home now by God and has been taken up in his love. My deepest condolences to her family and loved ones. May Andrea rest in peace.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh no, Andrea... I met her in London, helped her prepare for her two pilgrimages and met her lovely son. She had a traumatic start to her first pilgrimage but was so buoyed up by finishing it despite these setbacks that she was determined to do it again. I last saw her earlier this year and she seemed incredibly well, full of joy and purpose. Deepest sympathy to her loving family and friends

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all for your many kind words. We have no more information as to what happened. We have been unable to make contact with her family and church so far. Although I am aware that her church in Norwood knows of her passing.

Thank you again. Xxx

Our Camino family has taken some hard knocks over the last few months. I would like to offer condolences to Andrea's family and friends.
RIP

Thank you all.

Ben Camino.
I am so troubled with how pilgrims are being treated in Spain! This poor woman God rest her soul for being strong to the end even through several difficulties. Spanish authorities should realize this situation and they should remember that pilgrims are their bread and butter bring much revenue in Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
May eternal peace rest upon her soul. My heartfelt condolences to her family and friends. Truly a sad year for the Camino what with the losses that happened. God bless us all.

I am so troubled with how pilgrims are being treated in Spain! This poor woman God rest her soul for being strong to the end even through several difficulties. Spanish authorities should realize this situation and they should remember that pilgrims are their bread and butter bring much revenue in Spain.

Hello Nathanael,

It is particularly troubling for so much to befall a single pilgrim when their time on earth was so short. However, it is worth knowing that this is a rare circumstance that I have never heard of in the experience of a pilgrim on the same camino. If we must look for reasons, let us assume that troubles befell her in order to confirm that she really was an angel and a pilgrim saint. She endured well, she ran the good race, and was ready when the call came for her.

I have learned that it really is about how we handle adversity that is the measure of a true pilgrim. It does not matter how cold or wet, how locals respond, or how other pilgrims act. It matters how we act.

Be assured that Spain and the wonderful Spanish people are well aware of the value of the Camino. They cherish the Way and most are grateful for the many experiences they have greeting pilgrims, welcoming them to their country, and wishing them well on their way to Santiago. Try not to judge them all by the actions of those few who target pilgrims for nefarious purposes.

Buen Camino,

Last edited:
Hello Nathanael,

It is particularly troubling to befall a pilgrim when their time on earth was so short. However, it is worth knowing that this is a rare circumstance that I have never heard of in the experience of a single pilgrim on a single camino. If we look forward reasons, let us assume that troubles befell her in order to confirm that she really was an angel and a pilgrim saint. She endured well, she ran the good race, and was ready when the call came for her.

I have learned that it really is about how we handle adversity that is the measure of a true pilgrim. It does not matter how cold or wet, how locals respond, or how other pilgrims act. It matters how we act.

Be assured that Spain and the wonderful Spanish people are well aware of the value of the Camino. They cherish the Way and most are grateful for the many experiences they have greeting pilgrims, welcoming them to their country, and wishing them well on their way to Santiago. Try not to judge them all by the actions of those few who target pilgrims.

Buen Camino,
well said! on a recently ill fated attempt on the vdlp and near collapsing i asked someone for water as i passed their house. he said NO and went indoors. he came back out a minute later with a grin on his face and two cans of lager! He then got his car out and drove me to the nearest hostal! Now THAT is Spain and its people and is the kind of thing that has happened consistently to me over twelve years of Camino.
God speed and buen camino.
the malingerer.

Thank you all.

Ben Camino.

Oh my god... I met her on my very first day of the Camino, in Ponferrada. It was the 28th of august. She said she was british, and We sat and had a talk about her fund raising, about her son, about her being robbed and about her injury... She seemed a bit troubled, and later in Triacastella ( i think) she said she was ran over by a bike and was looking for a doctor.
She was very warm and friendly, and I only knew her for a day or two, but she left her mark.
May she rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thank you all.

Ben Camino.

My deep condolences for her family...
My deep condolences for her family

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is absolutely terrible. This poor woman! It really makes me think about my first camino in a new light and not well.

Thank you all.

Ben Camino.
Arms around her friends and family... may Andrea be at peace...

My deepest condolences to her family and friends.
May Andrea rest in peace.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My sincere condolences to her son and family, she was a brave lady finding her way on her pilgrimage. That pilgrimage that we know never ends, she still walks with us in the sunshine, wind and the raindrops and on those frosty mornings her memory keeps us warm with her presence!
God give you strength to walk with her and give you peace.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May you walk in sunshine and your load be light, RIP.

There is a video she made about her previous Camino in 2014. thought it would be nice to post out of respect.

Thanks for posting this Tal. It looks like the Camino, and also the world, is now missing a beautiful person. I noticed that she had brought a smile to everyone's face that she was with. I know that I had a smile on my face watching her in this video. I was on the Camino in 2014 just a couple of weeks before her. I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to meet her.

Rest in peace, fellow pilgrim.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did not know Andrea personally. I am new to the forum but I have been moved by her death. Words are never enough to express the heart felt loose of a young person. I have made a short video tha I posted on 'YOU TUBE" in memory of Andrea. It is mainly based on her 2014 video.
My condolances to all her family and friends. Buen Camino Andrea.

My condolonces to her family.
RIP Pilgrim.
The world is a sadder place without you, and for those who never had a chance to meet you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I did not know Andrea personally. I am new to the forum but I have been moved by her death. Words are never enough to express the heart felt loose of a young person. I have made a short video tha I posted on 'YOU TUBE" in memory of Andrea. It is mainly based on her 2014 video.
Lately happened to me that I see some the sign. I look video and I saw a date, he start from SJPP 22 may, exactly the day when I start my first Camino next year.
Dear Andrea, rest in peace, God be with you and everlasting light lights for you.

Thank you for this.It brought tears to my eyes

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So sorry to hear about Andrea. Thanks to those who added the videos. I met Andrea when she was a guest at the end of June at the San Miguel Parrochial Albergue in Estella where I was a hospitalera. She was slowly making her way to Santiago and I am glad that she arrived there. She was a very interesting person, definitely a Free Spirit and certainly had a good heart. I am sure she is at peace at last.

I like the video and what puertorico1616 said:
. . . I have made a short video that I posted on 'YOU TUBE" in memory of Andrea . . .
Gracias Boricua por el video, buen trabajo.

Watching the videos reminds me how strongly we are all connected on this forum, by our shared experiences. What we have in common is so much greater than our differences. When a member of our tribe is no longer with us we are all affected. It is indeed true, as John Donne says, that "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a part of the continent, a part of the main; "

Andrea rests peacefully, but for those she leaves behind there is loss. My deepest sympathy to Andrea's family, particularly her daughter.

So sad to read this. We had contact with Andrea as she prepared for her first pilgrimage. May she rest in peace.

It's been a couple of weeks sinceI'd checked in here and am thinking that though away, Andrea is very much here. Thank you all for bringing her to this life in his thread. I am thinking of her son and family and hope that they can draw strength from her courage and community. Warm thoughts to all who travel here.

Returning after some weeks offline to more sad news...another loss, another star over the Camino.
Andrea's goodness will certainly follow her, and I hope her family finds consolation in their time of grief by her shining example of courage and sharing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear all,

I have been contacted by a forum member that has some more information on how Andrea passed. It seems it happened once she got home to London and it was due to a fall.

A minister (I assume from her local church in London) wrote on Facebook (more on the link below):

Good morning my friends, I've been feeling really sad the last few days since I discovered that Angie (Andrea Driscoll) has died. I performed her wedding to David who died a few months after the wedding. Andrea was devastated by his death, but it had been expected for many months. Since David's death Angie tried hard to live life to the full, she went on two trips (pilgrimages in Spain) walking over 300 miles each time. After all her hardships and experiences it was such a shock to hear that upon her return to London, she was found dead in her flat after a fall. Angie had a wonderful heart and was a great character. Everybody knew Angie's problems, but she also had a real soft spot for the Lord Jesus. He alone knows if Angie was born of His Spirit. She was a breath of fresh air and also a bit of a storm too smile emoticon We will definitely miss Angie in West Norwood.

https://www.facebook.com/stlukesnorwood/posts/385096278281565:0

May she rest in peace.

Thank you @ivar. A 'likes' doesn't seem appropriate.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.