• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

With an injury, is it better to keep walking or stop?

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
I have a nagging knee injury. I've been stepping up my training, in preparation for an April 2013 camino from SJPP, but with a loaded pack, this injury has resurfaced.

On the camino, is it better to rest up for a day or two - or keep walking? My injury at the moment isn't bad enough to stop me. But it's worrisome.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Would have thought that a medical practitioner or a sports physiotherapist would be the safer addressee for this question than this forum. The response will be yes, no, and probably.

Much will depend on the cause and nature of your injury, the impact on it of protracted exercise and load-bearing over variable and occasionally unstable terrain and what measures, such as support bandaging, you are planning to take to alleviate any additional damage that walking the Camino might cause.

Many walk with, and through, considerable pain but you should have a clear understanding of the nature of your impairment and the consequences of walking with it before you begin.

That said I wish you a comfortable if not pain free Camino.

My friend limped from Leon to Santiago on a bad ankle. It did not make it worse, but when he returned he had an operation on it. The walking pointed out to him that he should not ignore it. I suppose it all depends on the injury. In his case he did not make it worse. You could be different. He spent two months in an immobilization boot, by the way!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It definitely depends on the injury, so of course I can't speak for any but my own. I got tendonitis after a week on the Camino, and stopped for 3 nights in Logrono and took a bus to the next town because I physically could not walk. After that I walked straight through to Santiago, but with much pain and difficulty. In retrospect, I should have taken more rest days and walked shorter days but I didn't want to lose my Camino family again. When I returned home, my doctor lectured me... apparently, due to the severity of my injury, my tendons had been in serious danger of snapping.

With all that said, I'd say all I can really tell you is to err in the side of caution. Stop if you need to stop. Take a bus if you have time constraints or don't want to lose your family. If need be, there are porter services to take your bag ahead if that is what really triggers the pain - many of my injured friends did this on their bad days.

The beauty of the Camino is its flexibility - I trust you'll find a way.

Buen camino,
Lindsey

Pieces said:
ask the doctor...
Hi Pieces, I think a doctor will just tell me I'm mad contemplating an 800km walk with a dodgy knee. So it's best not to ask him.. :lol:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
lindseh said:
I got tendonitis after a week on the Camino, and stopped for 3 nights in Logrono and took a bus to the next town because I physically could not walk. After that I walked straight through to Santiago, but with much pain and difficulty.

The beauty of the Camino is its flexibility - I trust you'll find a way.

Buen camino,
Lindsey
Thank you for this advice. Yes, from what I can gather, there is no right or wrong way to do the camino - it's about overcoming foolish pride and stubbornness. That's what can really cause you injury...

Tincatinker said:
Would have thought that a medical practitioner or a sports physiotherapist would be the safer addressee for this question than this forum. The response will be yes, no, and probably.

Much will depend on the cause and nature of your injury, the impact on it of protracted exercise and load-bearing over variable and occasionally unstable terrain and what measures, such as support bandaging, you are planning to take to alleviate any additional damage that walking the Camino might cause.

Many walk with, and through, considerable pain but you should have a clear understanding of the nature of your impairment and the consequences of walking with it before you begin.

That said I wish you a comfortable if not pain free Camino.
All very sage advice Tincatinker. Thank you. I have five weeks before I go, so I'm going to build strength in the muscles around my knee, and increase my yoga practice.

I was in India last year and I saw a cripple doing a pilgrimage to the Ganges, for an important holy event. He was on crutches, bare-footed, and he was moving swiftly. It was incredible, and I'll keep that image with me...

billbennettoz said:
Pieces said:
ask the doctor...
Hi Pieces, I think a doctor will just tell me I'm mad contemplating an 800km walk with a dodgy knee. So it's best not to ask him.. :lol:

You need a really good, sports oriented doctor. I had one prescribe more alpine skiing for a knee that got sore alpine skiing. It was a normal ache, with no damage, best treated by building the muscles around the knee.

If somthing is torn, more exercise might not be so smart.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You've got to check with a doc. You need to find out exactly what the problem is and how to treat it. It may be as simple as resting for a few days or perhaps taking some anti-inflam medication or using cream and a brace....or you might require surgery. You may need to reduce your load - I know for me, 11kg is too heavy, but 10kg is fine (6 is a walk in the park and my preference). You might also consider using poles.
I have a knee injury which prevents me from cycling at all, but I can walk (with the aid of poles on steep downhills, although I use them all the time to reduce wear on the joints). Seeking medical attention was beneficial to me - it convinced family that what my body was telling me was true (ie that cycling was unbearably painful, but walking was OK - everyone said cycling should be easier on the body, but it turns out it isn't if you have a wonky knee like I do!)

See a doctor. You have 5 weeks. It could be something simple, corrected by a strengthening exercise.

jpflavin1 said:
See a doctor. You have 5 weeks. It could be something simple, corrected by a strengthening exercise.
It's sensible advice - and from Kiwi-family too. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
billbennettoz said:
Pieces said:
ask the doctor...

okay then the answer is simple

maybe you will permanently damage your knee maybe you won't, you just have to wait and see don't you...

Pieces said:
maybe you will permanently damage your knee maybe you won't, you just have to wait and see don't you...
Hi Pieces - one of the things I believe I will learn on the camino is how to face fear. Fear of carrying too much in my pack, fear of not getting a place to sleep, fear of bed bugs, fear of not planning ahead, and fear of not finishing because of injury...

My knees are totally stuffed from skiing injuries but walking the camino actually helped by strengthening the muscles. I find it essential to use two walking poles, transferring strain from my knees through to my arms. It does take technique and practice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This might sound irresponsible but I would NOT see a Dr ! Why? Because I think he'd be duty-bound to say don't do it, after all in this litigatious society we live in , you could sue him if he said you were fine to walk 800kms and your knee got worse :roll:

My knees were very painful after going downhills . The advice to take poles is excellent. You can buy Ibuprofen gel at farmacias, and take a knee brace. Rest if you need to, keep the pack light, don't do huge long distances, and see how you get on :D
Buen camino !

fortview said:
This might sound irresponsible but I would NOT see a Dr ! Why? Because I think he'd be duty-bound to say don't do it, after all in this litigatious society we live in , you could sue him if he said you were fine to walk 800kms and your knee got worse :roll: !
Thanks fortview - I'm with you. I don't want a doctor telling me not to do it, because I wouldn't listen to him/her anyway! I'm actually doing a 28km walk this weekend with full load backpack, up and down some serious hills, so I'll see how I go.

You mention fear,I think fear is natural and not to be ignored but deal with and recognized. look at your fears and live with them becuse they will make you think cautiousely about what you are going to do. One who is not afraid is like blocked out from natural instincts.
About your knees, i don't know where you are tarveliong from to walk the camino , I think it'\s from far away from it, Imagine how frustrated you'll be when froce to get off the trail because of knee pains. You might suffer from permanent demage to your knees and then you 'll forget on hiking long trails again.
My suggestion is to see a physical therapist who deals with runners, not a doctor (only if's a Marathon runner...), it might be tendons, it might be all sort of problems.
I too suffer fron knee pains , it's tendon's pain and I have gotten a doctor advice- an elastic band all times, tied just below your knee caps hleps, poles are a must, when you descend walk very v-e-r- y slow. When you ascend do it slow and rest a lot. When it hurts send your pack ahead using the transbaggage service, when it really hurts- stop for a day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
dRe: With an injury, is it better to keep walking or stop?

Pieces said:
ask the doctor...
I'm with Pieces, newfydoc, jpflavin and anyone else who recommends seeing a doctor or other medical professional. To suggest that you shouldn't is odd, and the reasons offered so far are just quite strange.

What you want is your doctor's advice on the very questions you asked us to advise you on without the benefit of being able to see what might be causing your knee problem. A doctor would at least be able to examine the knee and form a professional opinion, something clearly we cannot.

You might also speak to your doctor or a physio on the best way to prevent or minimise doing any more damage, pain management options and seek their advice on what signs might indicate you should seek professional medical treatment when you are on the Camino.

Sure, you might be advised not to undertake this venture. If so, make it clear you need advice on how to do it, not how not to do it.

If you are contemplating buying travel insurance, you might want to check what pre-existing medical conditions you have to declare. It would be embarrassing to find that they were unprepared to cover you because you hadn't declared this when you were obliged to do so. I suspect it would be difficult to argue that you were unaware of the condition when you have so freely discussed it here.

Re: dRe: With an injury, is it better to keep walking or stop?

dougfitz said:
Pieces said:
ask the doctor...
I'm with Pieces, newfydoc, jpflavin and anyone else who recommends seeing a doctor or other medical professional. To suggest that you shouldn't is odd, and the reasons offered so far are just quite strange.

What you want is your doctor's advice on the very questions you asked us to advise you on without the benefit of being able to see what might be causing your knee problem. A doctor would at least be able to examine the knee and form a professional opinion, something clearly we cannot.

You might also speak to your doctor or a physio on the best way to prevent or minimise doing any more damage, pain management options and seek their advice on what signs might indicate you should seek professional medical treatment when you are on the Camino.
Thank you DougF. The reason I raised it here is because I read somewhere else in this forum of a pilgrim who had walked most of the camino with an injury. I was curious if that was common practice.

I have been in training for this now for over a year, averaging about 50-60km per week at a swift pace (6.0-6.7kms/hr), but now having decided on a date, I've begun training with a backpack and have increased my distances, and that's a whole other ball game. My pace has slowed, of course, but It's also put new and unfamiliar strains on my body, the most worrisome being the flaring of my old knee injury from my running days.

When I last went to my sports doctor - the best in Sydney and arguably the best in the country - he told me I could either have surgery or else reduce my mileage, strap my knee and strength the quads. That worked at the time. (I've evidently worn a big groove into the inside of my patella). So I will do this 28km walk on Sunday, with my pack loaded to the weight I'll be carrying on the camino, and see how my injury holds up.

The other thing I've noticed that helps is yoga. It not only helps to strengthen the leg muscles, it also relaxes and loosens the hamstrings. Also the back, which tightens from all the compression which comes from walking on hard surfaces. Yoga should also help with the Archilles tendons when climbing steep ascents. A few "downward dogs" helps enormously!

Thank you for your advice. And to the others who have posted here too. I don't want a nagging injury to stop me from completing this walk.

billbennettoz said:
...I was in India last year and I saw a cripple doing a pilgrimage to the Ganges, for an important holy event. He was on crutches, bare-footed, and he was moving swiftly. It was incredible, and I'll keep that image with me...
OK for keeping the image with you, but you might be better off by not imitating the feat :wink:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will relate my own experience: I walked with people who were hoping their "nagging knee pain" would not get worse. Some of them started using baggage transfer periodically to give the back/knees a break. They also took longer and more frequent breaks, It seemed to work for some. The advice of Yoga/stretch exercises before and after is also sound. A problem of plantar fascitis I had before embarking on The Camino (painful, painful heel trouble) DISSAPEARED after I started doing a series of hamstring and calf exercises.

I really think people should do as they please, and that one is not obliged to take the doctors advice...

as for myself, come easter i can celebrate the 2 year day of my injury, I am not sure waking 1000 km helped my case...

next week i will be seing the 18th medical practicioner/therapist since i had it hoping to finally find a solution...

would I still have walked my first camino had I known this? maybe....

each to his own eh...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Bill
as a man of a certain age with knees of an even older man, and having done a couple of Camino's and also walking in April from SJPdP I would say you are training too much and getting too much into how many Ks an hour and how far your walking.
you could be in danger of leaving your best on the training walks.
its been said before but the best way to walk the camino is to start like an old man and you will finish like a young one.
my knees get better as I walk,I made the mistake in 2009 of taking too many pain killers mixed with anti-inflammatory's and finished up with stomach problems,thought I was having a heart attack :shock:
these days I do my training on the Camino and if I did any before I would stop 2 weeks before I walked
oh and while walking I elevate my legs for 1/2 hour every night just before enjoying a glass of red wine-works for me :D
Ian

If "facing fears" is one of your reasons for going, then why are you so utterly afraid of asking a doctor and potentially ignoring his advice? So what if he tells you not to go? You can still go. But at least he can give you more specifics on what to look for, what potential (long term) negatives could happen, what you can do to lessen the impact, what you might be able to do to strengthen the leg in advance etc etc etc.

Not even going to consult with a doctor isn't facing fears. Its embracing ignorance. Knowledge is power. If that knowledge is scary, but you still want to go, then that is facing fears. Ignoring them isn't

sagalouts said:
Hi Bill you could be in danger of leaving your best on the training walks.
its been said before but the best way to walk the camino is to start like an old man and you will finish like a young one. oh and while walking I elevate my legs for 1/2 hour every night just before enjoying a glass of red wine-works for me :D
Ian
Hi Ian - thank you for your wise advice. Particularly the feet up and the red wine! :D

The camino will teach me lessons and one of them, I'm sure, will be that there's no need to rush through life and set yourself goals that are ultimately meaningless. Bill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's probably foolhardy to take medical advice from those of us on the forum. You need your knee examined either by a doctor or a physiotherapist, followed by appropriate treatment. My preference is physiotherapist. If the physio finds something more serious they'll send you to an MD. Don't ignore it and don't walk through it. You can walk through sore muscles and tired muscles, but not through injury. Well, you can, but that hardly ever ends well.

Olivares said:
A problem of plantar fascitis I had before embarking on The Camino (painful, painful heel trouble) DISSAPEARED after I started doing a series of hamstring and calf exercises.

Got any tips in this respect? I have plantar faciitis, stemming from having arthrits in my toes (can't bend three of them or move one at all). I'm looking for a new podiatrist so I can work on improving it as after the Overland last year I couldn't walk for three weeks. Mind you, that was also partly due to my boots being too wide for my narrow feet. This time I'm going all out on my footwear.

Unfortunately my physio only seems to be good at short term improvements, so any good stretches you can recommend would be greatly appreciated!

waveprof said:
If "facing fears" is one of your reasons for going, then why are you so utterly afraid of asking a doctor and potentially ignoring his advice? So what if he tells you not to go? You can still go. But at least he can give you more specifics on what to look for, what potential (long term) negatives could happen, what you can do to lessen the impact, what you might be able to do to strengthen the leg in advance etc etc etc.

This is perfect advise, when it comes to injuries or what turns out to be just pain a person needs to make an informed decision. To ignore it will not make it go away, too many people think this way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would seek a doctors advice on that one.

Injuries due to overuse don't get better with further use.

My knee started giving trouble about 40km from Fisterra. By the time I got to Fisterra I could not take a stop because it was so painful to get up again. Bursitis. I was home for a month before I could walk around the block.

I think all you folk who have walked the camino, with or without injuries, are quite remarkable. Very special people.

I'm not afraid of going to the doctor - I've been several times, because it's a recurring injury. I know what the problems are, I just need to do the right preparation and be sensible during the camino.

I was not sensible this weekend. I did a 29km walk between two country towns with a 8.5kg backpack. My right knee started giving me pain so I began favouring my left leg. This caused the heel section of my insole to disintegrate, which in turn caused me to get a huge blister. The last 15kms of that walk were agony.

I learnt a lot. In 2000 kms of walking I've never had a blister. Now I'm learning how to manage them. I made some stupid mistakes - like not wearing sock liners, not lubricating my feet, and most importantly, not dealing with the hot spot as soon as it presented. I should have taken out that insole and tossed it away.

Interestingly, during the walk my knee problem eased up. Today I'm limping not because of my dodgy knee, but because of the massive blister!

Pain is, of course, a symptom that something is wrong and one show never push it, or attempt to "walk through it."
Having said that, I believe people on a pilgrimage may have a different mind set. Speaking only for myself, I did develop some knee pain the lat 3 days of my walk and was determined to make it all the way. What's a pilgrimage if one does not "suffer"? (Take that last statement as you will) In any case, I was nearly a cripple for about 2-3 weeks after getting back home.
Ditto what everyone has said. If it hurts enough to bring it up then please get it medically checked before embarking on the Camino. Sometimes the fix can be rather simple...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
something is wrong and one show never push it, or attempt to "walk through it."
Pain is more nuanced than that, I think. Take arthritis, for example. The pain almost never goes away, but walking through it does not cause any further damage. Muscle pain is normally associated with strenuous exercise, and will go away with time, so it is possible to walk through it. Tendonitis may not get worse, or may get worse, if you walk through it. Various braces can keep knees and ankles from being damaged further. When the cause of the pain is known, then a reasonable decision can be made about walking through it.

Every pilgrim lives with the decisions he makes. I have seen quite a few middle aged pilgrims living with their decision to push themselves when they spent several days resting with ice packs to alleviate tendonitis -- too much at too advanced an age! :D

And I watched a one-legged pilgrim walk from SJPdP to Fisterra by walking through a lot of discomfort. I would never have advised him "never" to do anything. It is his choice.

I have had dodgy knees (star fractures of both patellas as a kid-whoever moved that gym mat has a lot to answer for!) But, as Ian wisely said, start slowly and try not to get get caught up in daily milage goals or having to keep pace with others. Give yourself breaks if (or in my case when) you need them. Use poles and Knee braces-I have heavy duty braces and 'after dinner braces' which I change to suit the terrain. Getting feet up every 2-3 hours really helped my knees in fact it helped every part of me!
Of course there were one or two sections on the CF that that were 'expletive rich' :oops: (descents down to Molinaseca and Cee come to mind) but even then the swearing evenly interspersed with gasps of admiration at the sheer beauty of the landscape. And if all else fails you could always 'offer it up' as my mother used to say....well at least until you get to the next bus stop :lol:

Laliibeans said:
..... so any good stretches you can recommend would be greatly appreciated!

To alleviate or even eliminate Plantar Fascitis I recomend to do BEFORE & AFTER every walking day per the following link: http://walking.about.com/cs/heelpain/a/plantarfas.htm

The one that really made a difference for me was the Step Stretch (variations are acceptable so long as you stretch the heel and calf). I also added sitting down on the floor with legs stretched before me and reaching out for the toes. If you have lower back problems you may want to skip this one, otherwise, it is also very effective.

Also, I found that training on an elliptical machine or a treadmill (with ramping capabilities) was a very, very effective exercise. Made sense as I strengthened and toned THE muscles I used most while walking. Do it while carrying a loaded backpack. Very helpful specially in trying to train in the cold, wintry months.

Good luck! Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you, these look very helpful! Now I just have to stick to doing them... :oops:

Hi Bill,

I'm heading off to complete the Le Puy route in 7 weeks time. I too have a pre-existing knee injury called patello femoral pain syndrome. I'm currently seeing a physiotherapist who has shown me how to tape my knee correctly. He believes (for my particular issue) taping provides better support than a knee brace. On top of that, I'm doing exercises to strengthen my quad and butt muscles. I also take anti inflammatory tablets. I would HIGHLY recommend you see a physio before you head off.

Good luck!

Buen camino
Sonia

TravellingSonn said:
Hi Bill,

I'm heading off to complete the Le Puy route in 7 weeks time. I too have a pre-existing knee injury called patello femoral pain syndrome. I'm currently seeing a physiotherapist who has shown me how to tape my knee correctly. He believes (for my particular issue) taping provides better support than a knee brace. On top of that, I'm doing exercises to strengthen my quad and butt muscles. I also take anti inflammatory tablets. I would HIGHLY recommend you see a physio before you head off.

Good luck!
Buen camino
Sonia
Hi Sonia, thank you for this advice. Since posting originally, I have been doing yoga exercises to strengthen those muscles you mentioned, and it must have helped because I'm not now getting the knee pain. That said, I did a vigorous training hike yesterday (I leave in less than 10 days now!) and got some twinges last night. I remember from my running days how to tape my knee, so if needs be I'll do that. But I think the best thing I can do is just take it easy on the Camino, and not try and push it.

Good luck on the Le Puy route! Please PM me and let me know how you go, because I'd like to do that next year if I can. And good luck with your injury too. I have this esoteric view that the Camino contains the collected soul energies of all the pilgrims who have been before, and that it infuses the way with a beneficence that helps you and heals you.

Safe journey!
Bill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Bill,

I just realised you're from Sydney as well! :)

Glad to hear your knee is behaving itself these days. Wow, only 10 days to go! How exciting! You're in for a real treat. My 2008 Camino has been one of the best experiences of my life. The best piece of advice I can give you is, take your time and go with an open heart.

I'll be more than happy to share my Le Puy experience with you upon my return. :)

I wish you all the very best for your pilgrimage, I hope it's a fruitful one.

All the very best pelegrino
Sonia
:)

Thank you Sonia!

Yes, it's good advice about taking my time and going with an open heart, and mind too!

I would hate to get to Santiago and feel as though I'd rushed through and had not allowed the way to fully work its mysteries with me.

If you want to follow my blog, it's -

http://www.pgstheway.com

Yes, please do let me know how you go with the Le Puy route. I've been to that town a couple of times now,and also to Conques, and both are very special places.

I'm very excited about my first Camino, and a bit anxious too! But I'm sure it will be fine, and like you I'll have an extraordinary time.

Take care on your journey,
Bill

I have quickly scrolled down the posts in this thread because I developed tendonitus on my first pilgrimage in 1998. Anti-inflamatories helped enoromously as did walking at my own pace.

I noticed you did 29km, that is 13km more than I do each day so I wonder if you might start by walking a little less further.

I am certain you know this but it worth reiterating. Get the weight in your pack down as much as possible.

Knees and legs were made for walking, it is the weight on our back that causes the problem.

On my 10th Camino (only 2004 was SJPP to SdC, the rest have been sections) I got down to 7kg and while I didn't look or smell pretty I received no comments about body odour.

Whenever I could I had my clothes washed by the wardens in their machine rather than by hand. A bit more expensive but it me from being barred at the entrance door.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
I noticed you did 29km, that is 13km more than I do each day so I wonder if you might start by walking a little less further.

I am certain you know this but it worth reiterating. Get the weight in your pack down as much as possible.

Knees and legs were made for walking, it is the weight on our back that causes the problem.
Thank you very much for your advice. Having done 10 Caminos, you obviously speak from extraordinary experience.

I could get my backpack down to about 7 kgs, except that I want to take my camera, iPad and phone, with the associated chargers, and of course power adapters. That puts nearly 2kgs onto the weight. But 9 kgs seems to be ok for me (albeit my body weight is about 77 kgs) but you're right - I do need to keep the mileage down each day.

I have to respect my body, and my past injuries, and allow the way to guide me.

Thank you again,
Bill

My sciatic nerve was damaged 42 years ago when I was pregnant and I don't have much feeling in my left thigh. This isn't a problem in everyday life but after a couple of days of walking it felt like electric shocks and was agonising. I tried to walk through it and took ibuprofen. No point in stopping as it's not going to get any better, but if I sat down for a few minutes it seemed to 're-set' it for a while. Off to the docs to see how much ibuprofen I can take this year without upsetting my stomach.

see how much ibuprofen I can take this year without upsetting my stomach
Another effect of ibuprofen is anti-coagulation. I was prescribed 1,000mg twice a day. I blew my nose, and set off bleeding that did not stop for a half-hour! I take 600mg up to three times a day, and watch for things that might start bleeding. Food and water with the ibuprofen pills will help with stomach upset, which actually can be a perforated stomach lining. "Ranger candy" and "vitamin I" allow me to walk, but should be used with caution.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ibubrofen can take you a long way but doesn't necessarily solve the problem...

after 2 years and 2 caminos i finally last month found someone who would agree that the problem wasn't my lover back but my ankle as I had argued all along...

apparently at some point it had been dislocated and having walked around with a wrong foot for 2 years causes all kinds of insane stuff...

even now when it is back in place (most of the time as it won't stay for long) i have all sorts of remaining problems...

just saying, walking with an injury will screw up your entire body and leave you with all sorts of crazy shit...

(I actually felt sea sick when walking after the last time i went for treatment, having had the ankle, the hip, 2 joints of the spine, 4 ribs and a shoulder blade put back in to place du to this injury, total disorientation walking straight again as result...)

Pieces said:
(I actually felt sea sick when walking after the last time i went for treatment, having had the ankle, the hip, 2 joints of the spine, 4 ribs and a shoulder blade put back in to place du to this injury, total disorientation walking straight again as result...)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced this. Walking for a few minutes after visiting the physio each time I had my foot done would sometimes leave me feeling really nauseous. It felt like pressure had been lifted but I couldn't reconcile the ground with my eyes!

It's amazing what a relatively small injury can do if left to affect every step you take.

yes, I usually feel nauseous after being put back into place, but that was extreme, like everything was moving...

felt like my leg had grown 2 cm also turns out that my forefoot hadn't sunk after all, the entire foot had just rotated to make it seem like it, now it is back in place and i can wiggle my toes again which added to the strange sensation... :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
the problem wasn't my lover back
If ibuprofen could solve that problem, there would be a lot fewer broken hearts walking the Camino. :D (I love the occasional typo, and am not flaming the post!)

Ibuprofen reduces inflammation, but does nothing about the cause of the inflammation. That cause may mean you should not be walking, or it may be something that can be ignored. It is good to know the difference.

I could get my backpack down to about 7 kgs, except that I want to take my camera, iPad and phone, with the associated chargers, and of course power adapters. That puts nearly 2kgs onto the weight. But 9 kgs seems to be ok for me (albeit my body weight is about 77 kgs) but you're right - I do need to keep the mileage down each day.

Bill, I love photography but I take a modern compact because weight is an issue.

Its part of the compromise I have to make to be able to go pilgrimage.

I knew the camera would come up when I saw your photo. :D

I don't want to reopen the whole technology debate, but when I am on Camino I want to leave behind my love of the Internet and the many creative things I do with the computer. An iPod= weight=potential knee trouble.

I take a small, lightweight, basic mobile phone so my wife can keep in touch, but 2kg of stuff when you have a dodgy knee?

Have you included food and water in the 9kg? I litre of water = 1kg.

I have multiple health issues and though it grieves me my Camino is in part defined by them.

You must follow what is in your heart but let your head have the final say.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Bill, I love photography but I take a modern compact because weight is an issue. Its part of the compromise I have to make to be able to go pilgrimage
I knew the camera would come up when I saw your photo. :D

I don't want to reopen the whole technology debate, but when I am on Camino I want to leave behind my love of the Internet and the many creative things I do with the computer. An iPod= weight=potential knee trouble.I take a small, lightweight, basic mobile phone so my wife can keep in touch, but 2kg of stuff when you have a dodgy knee? Have you included food and water in the 9kg? I litre of water = 1kg.
Hi Methodist Pilgrim - the 9kg doesn't include water or food. So I'm probably looking at 11 kgs min on those days when I need to stock up on food and water.

I'm self-employed and so unfortunately I need to keep tabs on work while I'm away, so the iPad is crucial. And yes, photography is very important to me. 8)

I've gone over and over my packing list, trying to reduce it - here it is on my blog -
http://pgstheway.com/what-im-taking/
If you have any suggestions, please... I'm flummoxed as to how to reduce it further, given the weather I'll be facing, and my need to stay communicated.

I wish I were retired, or had long service leave where I could have this amount of time totally uninterrupted from work, but for me right at this moment it's not possible. But it won't stop me from gaining enormous benefits from the Camino... Bill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So many problems with this question / thread.

If it's 800km and many of the walkers are older and not active then it's almost certain they'll end up with something nagging them. Even more likely if they let the ego get in the way.

The question also needs to be put into perspective of personal pain tolerance. People have talked of having arthritis. If you've lived for years with arthritis you're well aware of the pain you can tolerate. At times I get worried if my knees aren't sore :roll: but I also know how well I recover. I know what I can tolerate.

If you're injured after the first day stopping is more important then if it's the last day.

It sounds like you took one long day hike and ended up sore and blistered. Remember the first day is the easiest. You're rested and relatively injury free. I hope you're planning shorter stints. At least the first while.

BTW 1 litre of water is 1kg. 2kg between water and food isn't very much. Just a bit of water and a picnic lunch.

One final point. When I was a kid they used to ask "Are you injured or are you hurting?" There is a big difference between being sore and in pain and being injured. Soreness is uncomfortable. Injuries are something to worry about.

OK Bill I loked at your baggage.

I am taking the one pair of North Face trousers that I walked in from SJPP to Finisterre in 2004.
One shirt on, one shirt off.
Three pairs of underpants.
One pair of thermal leggings on, one pair in the rucksack.
One thermal vest, one spare. These double up as your nightwear.
Three pairs of Bridgenorth socks.
One pair nail sissors.
Mexfix tape to protect the known hot spots.
Mepad dressings to cover blisters and also protect hotpsots. Using the above two I have not had a blister since 2004.
I pair of Tevas in which I walk as often as I can.
One pair of Merrell walking trainers.
One Berghaus lightweight, quick drying but warm top = a toastie.
One Beghaus rain coat.
Flip flops.
Deciding on what poncho.
I use a platypus because bottles are not convenient. In my opinion you only need to carry about 1 litre of water as there are plenty of bars on the way. There are a few sections where you need to carry more, but those can be figured out by the distance between villages and the terrain.
I have to carry medicines which are only relevent to a diabetic.
mobile+charger.
Panasonic camera+charger.
There are loads of pharmacies on the way so I don't carry asprin etc. I only buy suntan cream if I need it.
I put no gells on my feet. They come back a bit cracked, but I can live with that. I have sometimes bought small amounts and applied them, but not started with them.
Trekking towel.

I have a small shoulder bag in which lives the nail sissors, toilet roll, a small bar of soap - amazingly you can readilly buy soap so why carry a large amount? Insulin. Mobile. Camera. A small lightweight, spider tripod - essential to a photographer. One small, very lightweight wind up LED torch. I don't walk in the dark - nor should anyone with an injury that can be aggrevated by a small stumble.

I use the latest CSJ guidebook and discard the pages when I have walked beyond the bottom of the page.

Get your hair well cut down and you don't need a hairbrush and you can carry a container of concentrated soap which can be used for washing clothes, body, and hair. Short hair can be washed with ordinary soap if you can live with the smell and your scalp doesn't itch. Ditto clothes. They may not be 100% clean but they can be clean enough.

If needs be just apply soap and shave your face. You do not get a perfect civilised shave but it is enough for a days walking and you are on the Camino not meeting a client. Small shaving brush to appy the soap if you have strong bristles.

Toothbrush and a tune of travel tooth paste

If you intend to woo the ladies you might need to rethink this.

I use a monpod walking stick to put my camera on as well. Take a lightweight strip with a grip to tie the monopod to a tree, lampost etc or it will fall over and bang goes your camera.

Take 6 safety pins to dry your clothes on. Plastic clothes pegs dont keep your clothes tied firmly enough to your rucksack and you will have to dry clothes on the back of it. It is also safer on washing lines. Leave pegs at home.

I sleep in one of my two shirts so I don't carry a T shirt.

Whenever I can I compensate for this lack of clothing by getting them washed in a machine. It stops me becoming too smelly. A bit more expensive but worth it.

While the warden has my clothes I am restricted to barracks, but that is a price worth paying for the lightness of my bag - even I dont have the courage to go to a restuarnt in my thermals.
If you could find a very lightweight kaftan that might be a good answer. You could wear your thermals underneath but be a bit more decent in company.

I hope this is not confusing and you will have to decide for yourself how to approach this.
Wherever possible take things that can double up.

You wont be surprised to know I get through a lot of soap, but it is cheap. One bar at a time is enough and if need be I donate any spare bars to the albergue.

Hi Methodist Pilgrim -

terrific, thanks for this level of detail. Interestingly, your kit is pretty much the same as mine. My hairbrush is one of those plastic ones you get in airline travel kits - it weighs about 25 gms, but yes, am getting my hair "marine buzz" cut just before I leave.

My sleeping bag weighs under 500 gms, and have forsaken thermal pants to try and get the weight down, even though I intended to sleep in them. And yes, agree about multi uses of a tiny bar of soap.

Also, I've found from my training walks that I can go for about 2 hrs in hot Australian summer conditions with just 1-1.5 ltr of water. And I don't need to have half kilo sandwiches.

Again, what's giving me the weight is making allowances for the cold in about a week's time, and my tech stuff - iPad, camera, phone, and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. I'm just now about to head off on a 14 km training walk with my pack loaded, with water, to 9.4 kgs. That's what I've been training with these past several weeks, and I'm holding up ok!

I'll go through your list again though and see if there's anything I can discard.

Again, thank you for listing it all - it's very useful to see what an experienced pilgrim like you has taken in the past.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
G'day Bill! carol and I are setting from Melbourne this Saturday night and will (if God spares us) be "boarding the boot leather limo" from St jean Pied de Port on Wednesday 10th (one day before your good self) I was interested in this thread, as five years ago I too had a rather painful (I understate!) knee injury which turned out to be a badly torn medial meniscus (I'm no doctor, it just bloody well hurt) after an Arthroscopy I was able to resume walking, but have never been able to jog again (but at 68 I'm happy to walk ....I'm not greedy!) I tend to agree with sagalouts, DONT overtrain! We've actually eased up on our routine this past week. Carol and I are reasonably fit and go to a local gym, we have done a couple of walks with full packs and are now just "letting go and letting God" I do believe, I really do, that if you approach this challenge with commonsense and let your BODY tell you how it feels, (AND LISTEN TO IT!) you will do well!
Carol and I are having our first stop at Vallcarlos, then Roncesvalles, then Zubiri. The reason being that the first two stages are relatively short and will help us to BUILD toward our camino!
Mate, you are going to be GREAT! let the body tell you how hard or easy to take it!
Buen camino! (and G'day!!!!!)
Dave and Carol Power

Hey Dave, I'm now leaving SJPP on Wednesday too - probably after lunch, and will overnight at Orrison. I've been doing some mountain training the last few weeks - where I live in Mudgee, there's a mountain at the back of the town called Mt. Misery. Needless to say that with a 10kg backpack, it's aptly named.

My knee has settled down - I now know how to "manage" it - although I don't know what daily mileage will do to it. I've been doing about 70-80 kms per week, but like you this week I've taken it easy.

I think the training isn't so much about getting fit, but giving you confidence. Building core strength, yes, but also getting you to the point where you can believe you can possibly do it.

Safe travels over, and hope to see you. I'll be wearing my Swannie's red and white cap!

Bill

I'm off to the "G" tomorrow (Hopefully to see the Saints win!) If not, I'll be lighting a wee candle in every church I pass for 'em! (hope I don't get burnt!) Buen camino! see you on the track no doubt!
BTW Are you using poles (2) they are a great help to me!
Dave

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't plan to use poles. Will use a staff.

You'll need more than a few candles for the Saints - light bonfires! :D :) :D :D

See you soon!

falcon269 said:
Will use a staff.
Secretaries and administrative assistants as well as porters and guides? :D
Or a stave...
I'm a filmmaker Falcon, so I'll have my entourage... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.