• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

With hope and gratitude for March 2021

turkeyneck

Greetings!

What a roller coaster of a year so far?! With patience and concerted effort, I hope that all of us make it through the fall and winter then into a blessed spring. With much disappointment, like many pilgrims, I could not start in St Jean last March. To top off the whole pandemic experience, I had an exacerbation of my multiple sclerosis during April and May. For much of this time through July, I could not walk more than 200 meters. Finally, after rehabilitation and exercise, I can now make 5km in approximately 90 minutes. It is my plan to walk 5km, take a 30 minute break, and continue for a maximum of 15km per stage. Since I live in Montana, I have many trails to choose from and train at an altitude of at least 142 meters (5000 ft). Even more significant is that now I need two walking poles to complete my 5km successfully. A benefit of all of that arm and shoulder work is that my shoulders and arms are gaining strength and endurance. Last weekend, I completed a climb to 184 meters over 1km for a 5km hike.
I still have all of my camino gear and train with weight regularly. It is my sincere desire to go on camino in March, meet as many people as possible, and meet Ivar! Please kind to one another and help out those in need. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Greetings!

What a roller coaster of a year so far?! With patience and concerted effort, I hope that all of us make it through the fall and winter then into a blessed spring. With much disappointment, like many pilgrims, I could not start in St Jean last March. To top off the whole pandemic experience, I had an exacerbation of my multiple sclerosis during April and May. For much of this time through July, I could not walk more than 200 meters. Finally, after rehabilitation and exercise, I can now make 5km in approximately 90 minutes. It is my plan to walk 5km, take a 30 minute break, and continue for a maximum of 15km per stage. Since I live in Montana, I have many trails to choose from and train at an altitude of at least 142 meters (5000 ft). Even more significant is that now I need two walking poles to complete my 5km successfully. A benefit of all of that arm and shoulder work is that my shoulders and arms are gaining strength and endurance. Last weekend, I completed a climb to 184 meters over 1km for a 5km hike.
I still have all of my camino gear and train with weight regularly. It is my sincere desire to go on camino in March, meet as many people as possible, and meet Ivar! Please kind to one another and help out those in need. Buen Camino!

Turkeyneck,

Welcome to the Forum.

What good ideas you have for the coming months.
Your tenacity and détermination are spécial.
Do continue to write as your dreams evolve.

Happy planning and Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
An inspiration to us all I wish you God speed towards your goal buen camino

Thank you for your hugely inspiring notes. Like so many others, I, too, had to give up on the planned walk for this year and am looking forward to something special next year -- hope, hope!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Turkeyneck, thank you for your post! Unfortunately, I doubt anyone in europe will be allowing America in by March....unless folks can get vaccinated.

There are too many superspreader events, students partying, adults refusing to wear masks in public, etc. and therefore our numbers will likely head north as the weather cools.

Just as we do not have sufficient PPE, we will not have the materials in place to deliver vaccines IMO by March. If everything goes perfectly....govt. is not projecting vaccination for most Americans until, at least the middle of next year.
Initial vaccinations would be given to essential front line medical staff and workers ...as it should be. There appears to be a lot more work to be done befoe the vaccine actually gets to our arms.😞😞😞

Turkeyneck, thank you for your post! Unfortunately, I doubt anyone in europe will be allowing America in by March....unless folks can get vaccinated.

There are too many superspreader events, students partying, adults refusing to wear masks in public, etc. and therefore our numbers will likely head north as the weather cools.

Just as we do not have sufficient PPE, we will not have the materials in place to deliver vaccines IMO by March. If everything goes perfectly....govt. is not projecting vaccination for most Americans until, at least the middle of next year.
Initial vaccinations would be given to essential front line medical staff and workers ...as it should be. There appears to be a lot more work to be done befoe the vaccine actually gets to our arms.😞😞😞

You know what? I can still hope. And, yes, I planned for this. However, I will still train and hope for a March start. Otherwise, I will have to wait another year. Who knows if I will still be able to walk by then? Time will tell.

I admire your tenacity and courage...Hope is great! We are all hoping with you!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings!

just love your " not quitting " attitude , well done you! , you'll do another Camino for sure with that attitude for sure

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back