A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

With hope and gratitude for March 2021

Greetings!

What a roller coaster of a year so far?! With patience and concerted effort, I hope that all of us make it through the fall and winter then into a blessed spring. With much disappointment, like many pilgrims, I could not start in St Jean last March. To top off the whole pandemic experience, I had an exacerbation of my multiple sclerosis during April and May. For much of this time through July, I could not walk more than 200 meters. Finally, after rehabilitation and exercise, I can now make 5km in approximately 90 minutes. It is my plan to walk 5km, take a 30 minute break, and continue for a maximum of 15km per stage. Since I live in Montana, I have many trails to choose from and train at an altitude of at least 142 meters (5000 ft). Even more significant is that now I need two walking poles to complete my 5km successfully. A benefit of all of that arm and shoulder work is that my shoulders and arms are gaining strength and endurance. Last weekend, I completed a climb to 184 meters over 1km for a 5km hike.
I still have all of my camino gear and train with weight regularly. It is my sincere desire to go on camino in March, meet as many people as possible, and meet Ivar! Please kind to one another and help out those in need. Buen Camino!

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Greetings!

What a roller coaster of a year so far?! With patience and concerted effort, I hope that all of us make it through the fall and winter then into a blessed spring. With much disappointment, like many pilgrims, I could not start in St Jean last March. To top off the whole pandemic experience, I had an exacerbation of my multiple sclerosis during April and May. For much of this time through July, I could not walk more than 200 meters. Finally, after rehabilitation and exercise, I can now make 5km in approximately 90 minutes. It is my plan to walk 5km, take a 30 minute break, and continue for a maximum of 15km per stage. Since I live in Montana, I have many trails to choose from and train at an altitude of at least 142 meters (5000 ft). Even more significant is that now I need two walking poles to complete my 5km successfully. A benefit of all of that arm and shoulder work is that my shoulders and arms are gaining strength and endurance. Last weekend, I completed a climb to 184 meters over 1km for a 5km hike.
I still have all of my camino gear and train with weight regularly. It is my sincere desire to go on camino in March, meet as many people as possible, and meet Ivar! Please kind to one another and help out those in need. Buen Camino!
Turkeyneck,

Welcome to the Forum.

What good ideas you have for the coming months.
Your tenacity and détermination are spécial.
Do continue to write as your dreams evolve.

Happy planning and Buen camino

Old Git

Camino(s) past & future
2018 Portuguese
2019 Finisterre/Muxia
An inspiration to us all I wish you God speed towards your goal buen camino

Camino(s) past & future
St Jean to Santiago (2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019)
Via Francigena (2018); Via Podiensis (4-6, 2020)
Thank you for your hugely inspiring notes. Like so many others, I, too, had to give up on the planned walk for this year and am looking forward to something special next year -- hope, hope!

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Turkeyneck, thank you for your post! Unfortunately, I doubt anyone in europe will be allowing America in by March....unless folks can get vaccinated.

There are too many superspreader events, students partying, adults refusing to wear masks in public, etc. and therefore our numbers will likely head north as the weather cools.

Just as we do not have sufficient PPE, we will not have the materials in place to deliver vaccines IMO by March. If everything goes perfectly....govt. is not projecting vaccination for most Americans until, at least the middle of next year.
Initial vaccinations would be given to essential front line medical staff and workers ...as it should be. There appears to be a lot more work to be done befoe the vaccine actually gets to our arms.😞😞😞

Turkeyneck, thank you for your post! Unfortunately, I doubt anyone in europe will be allowing America in by March....unless folks can get vaccinated.

There are too many superspreader events, students partying, adults refusing to wear masks in public, etc. and therefore our numbers will likely head north as the weather cools.

Just as we do not have sufficient PPE, we will not have the materials in place to deliver vaccines IMO by March. If everything goes perfectly....govt. is not projecting vaccination for most Americans until, at least the middle of next year.
Initial vaccinations would be given to essential front line medical staff and workers ...as it should be. There appears to be a lot more work to be done befoe the vaccine actually gets to our arms.😞😞😞

You know what? I can still hope. And, yes, I planned for this. However, I will still train and hope for a March start. Otherwise, I will have to wait another year. Who knows if I will still be able to walk by then? Time will tell.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
I admire your tenacity and courage...Hope is great! We are all hoping with you!

Last edited:

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock