• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

WLAN hotspots along the Camino Frances?

mika

Hiall,

as I'm contemplating the idea of writing a blog on my upcoming Camino, the question about free WLAN access points came into mind. So, any information about free hotspots along the Camino Francés is much appreciated.

TIA,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Stop outside just about any block of flats along the camino and your datacard will register at least one unsecured network - not that I'm suggesting that you allow your computer to connect to it.
If you are in the UK the best deal is T-Mobile web n walk professional. Sign up for 18 months and they give you a datacard with unlimited downloads at a fixed price of £19.98 per month - tops!
Works abroad but if you get a umts or grps connect you are charged £7.50 per mb. If you accidentally connect to an unsecured it is free.
In internet cafes and hotspots (hotspots in all the cities) you can usually connect direct for a fixed hourly fee.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Br. David said:
Stop outside just about any block of flats along the camino and your datacard will register at least one unsecured network - not that I'm suggesting that you allow your computer to connect to it.

I won't be using a "computer" or a datacard - I'll be using a mobile device. Security issues will not be a problem.

Br. David said:
If you are in the UK the best deal is T-Mobile web n walk professional. Sign up for 18 months and they give you a datacard with unlimited downloads at a fixed price of £19.98 per month - tops!
Works abroad but if you get a umts or grps connect you are charged £7.50 per mb. If you accidentally connect to an unsecured it is free.
In internet cafes and hotspots (hotspots in all the cities) you can usually connect direct for a fixed hourly fee.

Since my mobile is provided and bills paid by my employer, cost is not an issue as such. I'd have 3G, GPRS, EDGE and whatnots so I'd be able to use them if necessary but WLAN connections are faster so it'd be more convenient to use them. If I'll find open WLAN networks I'll be sure to use them; hence my original question... :lol: but I'm not going to pay for WLAN connectivity. Some cafes and bars offer free WLAN connectivity for their customers - any info on how common this is along the Camino Frances would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Back