• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wolf prints?

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
For the last couple of days in the Sierra Norte de Guadalajara, on the Ruta de la Lana, I've occasionally come across huge canine footprints, about 4 times bigger than my Hungarian boarhound's. The lady in the information centre of the Parque Natural del Barranco del Río Dulce was sceptical at first, but when I showed her this pic said she thought it probably was made by a wolf._20181022_230737.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For the last couple of days in the Sierra Norte de Guadalajara, on the Ruta de la Lana, I've occasionally come across huge canine footprints, about 4 times bigger than my Hungarian boarhound's. The lady in the information centre of the Parque Natural del Barranco del Río Dulce was sceptical at first, but when I showed her this pic said she thought it probably was made by a wolf.View attachment 47935

Wolves on Camino, I hope not.

Keep safe.

Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Picture on the Sanabres about three weeks ago. My boot is USA 11.5 Wide. It really is amazing how big the prints are.

Attachments

• 20181008_112040-crop.jpg
    20181008_112040-crop.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 87
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's definitely possible, the northwestern population of wolves in Spain is estimated at 2,000 in 350 groups. see map below for the distribution. Based on the picture of the paw prints I would guess the pic from the OP is a dog print due to the close spacing of the toe pads to each other and to the heel pad (and the lack of distinct lobes on the heel pad). I saw several LARGE dogs in Galicia (Mastiff and Mountain Dog types) that were taller and heavier than the size range given for the Iberian wolves in this area so I'm sure there are lots of large paw prints in the mud of Galicia that don't belong to wolves but it's interesting to speculate on the possibility that we were walking on the same paths the wolves occasionally used.IberianWolf-Map.pngTrackSizeComparison.jpgTrackSizeComparison.jpg

Oh my!

I always walk alone.

Something to consider if I walk VdlP.

Sounds scary, I know. Between Hollywood and fairy tales, the big bad wolf has a fearsome reputation. Unless you are secretly a herd of goats though, you have nothing to be concerned about. I grew up in a remote wooded area where wolves were very common. I saw tracks all the time, but an actual wolf less than a dozen times in a decade, and always from a wary distance. They want nothing to do with the giant upright brightly colored primates. As my father explained, we are the scary monsters in the forest. Now, grizzly bears are a different story........

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Seems like very large dogs... the wolf print is typically much closer spaced from the digital pads to the "palm" area. If you look at the paw-print guide, you can see clearly that there is more space in the dog prints. Also, it can be hard to tell sometimes, but all the wolf prints i've ever seen have a very clear inward pointing direction of the foreclaws on the forepaws.
NO debt about it though: that's a *big* canine.

It's definitely possible, the northwestern population of wolves in Spain is estimated at 2,000 in 350 groups. see map below for the distribution. Based on the picture of the paw prints I would guess the pic from the OP is a dog print due to the close spacing of the toe pads to each other and to the heel pad (and the lack of distinct lobes on the heel pad). I saw several LARGE dogs in Galicia (Mastiff and Mountain Dog types) that were taller and heavier than the size range given for the Iberian wolves in this area so I'm sure there are lots of large paw prints in the mud of Galicia that don't belong to wolves but it's interesting to speculate on the possibility that we were walking on the same paths the wolves occasionally used.View attachment 47942View attachment 47943View attachment 47943

We 'met' a Spanish Mastif coming out of Hospital de Orbigo.
It's a BIG dog :eek:

1540271430142.png

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the the Norwegian pilgrimmagasin, Pilegrimen, a Norwegian woman wrote about her pilgrimage from south to north along the Spanish/ Portuguese border. She met a group of wolves. She also met a group of wild dogs that seemed to be more scaring.

I would not be concerned. If this was a wolf, there is plenty of live prey along the Camino routes. Wolves are timid by nature and will avoid human contact, UNLESS there is no other food source.

The other complicating factor would be illness, such as rabies in the wolf population. But, the odds are so infinitesimal as to be nil. Hence, I advise that we not get spun up over this.

Another reason why my 'accidental' three-part lifetime rabies vaccination in 2006 was a good thing...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Look out for this fella on the San Salvador a couple of days out of Leon.
I thought he was tracking me and feeling brave, decided to get a closer look - then realised he was made of metal. Possibly, Ender and his mates decided to erect it after a night on the vino!

Attachments

• 20170629_101525.jpg
    20170629_101525.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 47
Look out for this fella on the San Salvador a couple of days out of Leon.
I thought he was tracking me and feeling brave, decided to get a closer look - then realised he was made of metal. Possibly, Ender and his mates decided to erect it after a night on the vino!

Yes, I remember seeing that on my spring 2017 Cf-SS-Primitivo, it's just after La Robla as you begin to get into the mountains. You have to give it double-take before you realise it's a statue!

I would not be concerned. If this was a wolf, there is plenty of live prey along the Camino routes. Wolves are timid by nature and will avoid human contact, UNLESS there is no other food source.

The other complicating factor would be illness, such as rabies in the wolf population. But, the odds are so infinitesimal as to be nil. Hence, I advise that we not get spun up over this.

Another reason why my 'accidental' three-part lifetime rabies vaccination in 2006 was a good thing...
Also you don't want to be bitten by a half crazed Perigrino that's foaming at the mouth!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sounds scary, I know. Between Hollywood and fairy tales, the big bad wolf has a fearsome reputation. Unless you are secretly a herd of goats though, you have nothing to be concerned about. I grew up in a remote wooded area where wolves were very common. I saw tracks all the time, but an actual wolf less than a dozen times in a decade, and always from a wary distance. They want nothing to do with the giant upright brightly colored primates. As my father explained, we are the scary monsters in the forest. Now, grizzly bears are a different story........
Reminds me of a story from Canada:
A greenhorn tourist arrives at a backwoods equipment store and proceeds to buy like crazy.
Seeing he's onto a good thing the salesman asks if he wants to buy some bear bells.

"Bear bells? Never heard of them."

The salesman shows him some little brass bells - the round ones with a little loop on them.

"What are they for?" the greenhorn asked.

"Well you sew a few around each of your trouser cuffs and when you walk along they jingle. The bears here this and keep away from you."

"There are BEARS in these woods?"

"Oh sure, we got black bear, brown bear, even some grizzlies!"

"How can you tell which ones are around?"

"Oh, that's easy. Just look at the bear scat - the droppings. Around here black bear scat contains a lot of berries and nut fragments as well as fish bones and the like whereas your brown bear scat has more bits of bone and fur."

"And grizzlies? What about grizzlies?"

"Oh, their scat generally tends to have little brass bells in it."

Still in Canada. We were camping on a little island on a lake in Northwestern Ontario, sitting around the campfire chewing the fat (actually we were eating the fish we'd caught earlier) when wolves on the mainland started to howl.

You hear them in the movies and think "mmm!", you hear them in a pitch black night in the Canadian wilderness and a chill runs up your spine. But we sat there, smug in the thought that we were safe on our little island and passed the bottle around.

A few months later I was chatting to a Park Ranger from the Isle Royale National Park, south of the border in Lake Superior. She laughed when I said that we felt safer, being on an island and said "You DO know wolves can swim?" - NOW I do!

She also said she had been working with wild wolves for nearly 15 years and had never heard of an authenticated report of a wolf attack.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes maybe But the wolf is progressing south. Now we have 10 wolves in Madrid province.
In the case of Guadalajara province (OP), wolves are strictly protected (comunidad de Castilla la Mancha)
And can travel enormous distances - 70km in one night? Apparently 12,000 wolves across mainland Europe - but no attacks on humans!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For the last couple of days in the Sierra Norte de Guadalajara, on the Ruta de la Lana, I've occasionally come across huge canine footprints, about 4 times bigger than my Hungarian boarhound's. The lady in the information centre of the Parque Natural del Barranco del Río Dulce was sceptical at first, but when I showed her this pic said she thought it probably was made by a wolf.

I have been in forested areas of Scandinavia where wolves are present but rarely seen. Wolves seem to avoid humans and go after easier targets like sheep and goats.
Usually the most dangerous animal in the forested areas of Northern Spain are the wild boar (Sangler/Singularis Porcus). When a sow with piglets is startled she drives her piglets before her and follows up in the rear looking for danger ahead. If she sees a human, she will charge and a 100KG animal with, tusks, teeth and trotters can spoil your day. While not being attacked I have seen a large family of wild boars cross a forest track at speed. The most dangerous bit was the Spanish beaters/hunters who followed later. Remember those Hi-Viz rain jackets and back packs during hunting season:-?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back