• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Woman alone on Portuguese Camino

Kathy C

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
I am currently on the Frances and planned to start from Porto around October 5th. I have been told it is not as well marked and supported. I have the Brierley guidebook. Will that be enough? Is weather getting very wet then? Any advice or help most appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
did the same route a little later last year solo. Left Porto on my own. Dinner night 1 was for four and by night 2 was 18! So you wont be solo for long. Weather was glorious all but for two days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am currently on the Frances and planned to start from Porto around October 5th. I have been told it is not as well marked and supported. I have the Brierley guidebook. Will that be enough? Is weather getting very wet then? Any advice or help most appreciated.

Brierly is enough. Well marked, lots of arrows. Couple confusing sections once in Spain, however, no option leads you away from Santiago, you just might end up taking a 'less pretty' route.

Expect rain. And sun. And everything else in-between. Nights will get chilly, but days may easily hit +25 ºC.

Good luck and Buen Camino

I cannot image why anyone would have told you the route is not well marked nor supported. Arrows easly found everywhere. As for support, well, it doesn't have the same number of bars and albergues as the Frances but they are there, you just won't have one every 5km or 3 in the same hamlet. Fear not.

I walked the route last year from Lisbon and found it very well way marked. Perhaps there aren't as many way marks as on the Frances but on the Frances on a straight stretch of road with no turns or anywhere else to go you could get multiple way marks. I did use the Brierly book and that was sufficient. Lovely route - enjoy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe this was in reference to taking the coastal route? I am on the coastal route at the moment. I did find one stage between Vianna de Castelo and Vila Praia de Ancora (by the sea) to have less markings than other stages. However, despite having no sense of direction I found my way! So if I can find it anyone can!! You will be grand. The weather is lovely. I only had rain on my first day from Porto (15th). I am heading to A Guarda tomorrow. Took a break in Caminha!
Bom Camino!

I'm very much "direction and flecha challenged "and the Portugues did not let me down...No worries about not finding the way.

Ultreia!

Maybe this was in reference to taking the coastal route? I am on the coastal route at the moment. I did find one stage between Vianna de Castelo and Vila Praia de Ancora (by the sea) to have less markings than other stages. However, despite having no sense of direction I found my way! So if I can find it anyone can!! You will be grand. The weather is lovely. I only had rain on my first day from Porto (15th). I am heading to A Guarda tomorrow. Took a break in Caminha!
Bom Camino!
FromViana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ãncora is not that complicated.
In Viana head for the coast of the Atlantic ocean and from there keep the ocean at your left and you'll arrive in Vila Praia . Okay at a certain time the waymarkers lead you into the hills-not nice when it is raining-very slippery paths -but if you continue at the coastline ,it is an easy stroll with no need of waymarkers at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
FromViana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ãncora is not that complicated.
In Viana head for the coast of the Atlantic ocean and from there keep the ocean at your left and you'll arrive in Vila Praia . Okay at a certain time the waymarkers lead you into the hills-not nice when it is raining-very slippery paths -but if you continue at the coastline ,it is an easy stroll with no need of waymarkers at all.
I agree along the coast path there is no need for waymarkers. However, while getting my stamp in the tourist office in Vianna they told me that I would have to come off the coast route at a certain point. I later realised this was not necessary. It was at that stage it became confusing.

Mind you, there are places, at least once, on the coast from Porto to Vila do Conde, where people put false arrows so you will walk by their place of business. Someone had mentioned it so I thought about it when I got to strange signage and decided to ignore ot, and follow Brierly.

Hi there, I have just come back from doing the coastal Portuguese alone (well never alone really, and certainly not from Redondela!). I would 100 percent recommend this route for all sorts of reasons and I met a few women doing it solo as well. It's well signposted mainly, safe and lovely. If you do it and get to Padrón and have the time try to make the step climb up to see Monte Santiaguiño ( the photo is on the front of Brierley´s book). One of the most special places I have been to on a Camino.
Back to the CP - I loved it.
Elaine

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hallo! Exciting times ahead for you!! Did the CP from Porto to Santiago in May 2015. Absolutely awesome!! Walked alone (and met wonderful pilgrims on the Way). Never felt unsafe. Brierley, butterflies and birds were my guides...Buen Camino!!

I agree along the coast path there is no need for waymarkers. However, while getting my stamp in the tourist office in Vianna they told me that I would have to come off the coast route at a certain point. I later realised this was not necessary. It was at that stage it became confusing.
we did the same but at a certain time when the waymarkers pointed into the hills and because ofthe rain it was so dangerous because of the mud we decided to find the shortest way back down to the coast and arrived safely in Vila Praia de Âncora . Every day before walking we looked onGoogle Maps sowere prepared for the stage to come.never again found any unwanted surprises

I am very interested in your experiences Eims and laineylainey as I am a single 'mature' woman wanting to walk my first Camino in September 2018. I have become fixated with the idea of doing the Portugese coastal route, but very nervous about being alone and possibly lonely for 15-16 days . Where is a good place to take a mid-way rest day? Any advice re the route or how to meet fellow travellers given that I will be doing a self-guided walk, but with pre-booked accommodation?

Bom Camino!

Hi there, I have just come back from doing the coastal Portuguese alone (well never alone really, and certainly not from Redondela!). I would 100 percent recommend this route for all sorts of reasons and I met a few women doing it solo as well. It's well signposted mainly, safe and lovely. If you do it and get to Padrón and have the time try to make the step climb up to see Monte Santiaguiño ( the photo is on the front of Brierley´s book). One of the most special places I have been to on a Camino.
Back to the CP - I loved it.
Elaine

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Pam welcome to the forum.
I walked Porto to Santiago last year and loved it. Although perhaps the first part to Caminha is less busy with pilgrims the route is not because it is a very popular tourist route. In fact walking the broadwalks from Porto in Sept you will meet lots of walkers and cyclists. When you join the inland route at Redondela the number of pilgrims increases a great deal.
I would have a day off in Padron myself.
The Portuguese routes are great and increasingly popular. I doubt you will ever be alone and I felt very safe.
Bom Caminha.

Hi Pam welcome to the forum.
I walked Porto to Santiago last year and loved it. Although perhaps the first part to Caminha is less busy with pilgrims the route is not because it is a very popular tourist route. In fact walking the broadwalks from Porto in Sept you will meet lots of walkers and cyclists. When you join the inland route at Redondela the number of pilgrims increases a great deal.
I would have a day off in Padron myself.
The Portuguese routes are great and increasingly popular. I doubt you will ever be alone and I felt very safe.
Bom Caminha.

Thankyou so much laineylainey. That makes me feel much more relaxed. I am walking from Porto so I was considering a break around Baiona or Vigo which would be just over half way for me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have become fixated with the idea of doing the Portugese coastal route, but very nervous about being alone and possibly lonely for 15-16 days . Where is a good place to take a mid-way rest day? Any advice re the route or how to meet fellow travellers given that I will be doing a self-guided walk, but with pre-booked accommodation?

Hi Pamf, you won’t be alone if you pre-book private albergues rather than hotels.

In an hotel you are totally isolated from all the other pilgrims, and unless you happen to meet some people during the day who invite you to join them that evening, you will be spending dinner alone too.

In an albergue you will be able to chat with others, and share dinner together if you want to, or not if you don’t want to.

If you haven’t yet pre-booked your accommodation I would suggest the following:
Porto, lots of hostels, there are threads here with suggestions
Matosinhos (12kms), Fishtail Sea House
Angeiras (12kms), Orbitur Bungalows
Póvoa de Varzim (14kms) Sardines & Friends
Esposende (20kms) Hostel Eleven
Viana do Castelo (23kms), lots of hostels and hotels
Vila Praia de Ancora (22kms) Hostel d'Avenida
A Guarda (No Ferry On Mondays!) (16kms), some hotels
Mougás (20kms) Albergue Aguncheiro
Ramallosa or Nigrán (20kms), Albergue Pazo Pias, or several hotels in Nigrán
Vigo (17kms), lots of choice – hostels and hotels
Redondela (16kms), several private albergues here
Pontevedra (20kms), albergues and hotels to choose from
(Variante Espiritual) Armenteira (21kms), Albergue Armenteira (cannot pre-book, just turn up!)
(Variante Espiritual) Vilanova de Arousa (25kms), Albergue Vilanova de Arousa (ditto)
Padron (by boat) (3kms), several private albergues here
Milladoiro (19kms) Albergue Milladoiro, or walk on to:
Santiago (7kms) The Last Stamp Albergue

By the way, I met a woman on the Camino Francés once who couldn’t wait to get to Santiago and go home. She had pre-booked an hotel every night, and had met no-one to share meals with, or even a coffee. A quiet, shy woman, unable to approach others and start a conversation, she had been very, very lonely. I believe it would have been an entirely different experience if she had pre-booked albergues instead of hotels.

And it is why, if I am in an albergue and about to go out for the evening, and notice there is a single pilgrim there, I often ask them (male or female, it doesn’t matter) if they would like to join me for a drink somewhere. They have always said yes. But if they say no, that’s fine too!
Jill

Hi Pamf, you won’t be alone if you pre-book private albergues rather than hotels.

In an hotel you are totally isolated from all the other pilgrims, and unless you happen to meet some people during the day who invite you to join them that evening, you will be spending dinner alone too.

In an albergue you will be able to chat with others, and share dinner together if you want to, or not if you don’t want to.

If you haven’t yet pre-booked your accommodation I would suggest the following:
Porto, lots of hostels, there are threads here with suggestions
Matosinhos (12kms), Fishtail Sea House
Angeiras (12kms), Orbitur Bungalows
Póvoa de Varzim (14kms) Sardines & Friends
Esposende (20kms) Hostel Eleven
Viana do Castelo (23kms), lots of hostels and hotels
Vila Praia de Ancora (22kms) Hostel d'Avenida
A Guarda (No Ferry On Mondays!) (16kms), some hotels
Mougás (20kms) Albergue Aguncheiro
Ramallosa or Nigrán (20kms), Albergue Pazo Pias, or several hotels in Nigrán
Vigo (17kms), lots of choice – hostels and hotels
Redondela (16kms), several private albergues here
Pontevedra (20kms), albergues and hotels to choose from
(Variante Espiritual) Armenteira (21kms), Albergue Armenteira (cannot pre-book, just turn up!)
(Variante Espiritual) Vilanova de Arousa (25kms), Albergue Vilanova de Arousa (ditto)
Padron (by boat) (3kms), several private albergues here
Milladoiro (19kms) Albergue Milladoiro, or walk on to:
Santiago (7kms) The Last Stamp Albergue

By the way, I met a woman on the Camino Francés once who couldn’t wait to get to Santiago and go home. She had pre-booked an hotel every night, and had met no-one to share meals with, or even a coffee. A quiet, shy woman, unable to approach others and start a conversation, she had been very, very lonely. I believe it would have been an entirely different experience if she had pre-booked albergues instead of hotels.

And it is why, if I am in an albergue and about to go out for the evening, and notice there is a single pilgrim there, I often ask them (male or female, it doesn’t matter) if they would like to join me for a drink somewhere. They have always said yes. But if they say no, that’s fine too!
Jill

Great information there Jill thank you so much. I haven't yet booked so i will definitely consider this option

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back