• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Woman Walking solo on the ingles in september

Stefystar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from sarria 2015
Via Francigena Aquapendente to Rome 2016
Camino Portuguese from TuI 2016
Hi I am going to walk the camino ingles beginning of September. How safe is it and busy is it? I am not looking forward to the masses of the Frances, but I would like to find other pilgrims on the way.. any advice?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Camino Ingles solo in May 2017, and I felt safe. I did not encounter my first pilgrim on the trail until the 3rd day, but from Betanzos onward I did meet more while walking. If you stay in the albergues, you are more likely to interact with other pilgrims. That said, I don't know what the Ingles is like in September, and I walked the way before the route was changed. I know in the summer of 2017 there were an unusual number of pilgrims and, because there are fewer albergues and hotels, beds for later arriving pilgrims was an issue.

Hi Taijiplgrim, thank you for you post!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m a 67 woman, walked alone May 2018. No problem

I’m a 67 woman, walked alone May 2018. No problem
Hi C.C.,
Thank you for the reassurance.
In your walking did you also meet few pilgrims,?

I walked the Ingles as a solo woman in July this year. Certainly fewer people than the Camino Frances but I found other pilgrims to talk and walk with - I enjoyed it. I stayed mainly in the municipal albergues which were good - I especially loved the view from the Neda albergue and the Bruma as a building. Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Frances Bat,
Thank you!! That is building my confidence ...It is just nice to know that there will be more to share the journey with.
Did you find a place you wish to have stayed an extra day ?

I did stay two nights in a private room in lovely Betanzos at the Pension Horreo - (15 Eur a night) which was a good choice for me, although Betanzos has a wonderful municiple albergue by all accounts. Enjoy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi SabineP
thank you again for sharing your experience with me.. I will look it up now..

Hi SabineP
thank you again for sharing your experience with me.. I will look it up now..
Hi SabineP,
Hi read on he link about your experience and I cannot blame your reaction.
If it made you feel uncomfortable then,
good to say no!!
Even though I am familiar from my own background to hugs and friendly touch on the shoulder... Instinct flags up the warning.. no disrispect if it was ment in a genuine way.. but if it felt unsafe,no is the answer for me too

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, many. Being. Alone, seembed I met more

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and me will start ouer Camino on september 9th I am going to run from neda to pontendeume my wife will continue walking or continue by taxi.
You more than welcome to join us.

Hi,
Thank you for your post!!
I am starting my in ferrol on the 9th morning..I will be stopping at neda and next day to pontedeume and so on.. I may be following your footsteps...

My wife and me will start ouer Camino on september 9th I am going to run from neda to pontendeume my wife will continue walking or continue by taxi.
You more than welcome to join us.
Sorry read it again.. and now I get it.
. You are starting in ferrol too.. and just from neda to pontedeume you will run that part ..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry read it again.. and now I get it.
. You are starting in ferrol too.. and just from neda to pontedeume you will run that part ..
I would certainly like to be walking with other pilgrims... So keep me posted..

I walked from A Coruna in early July. There were few others until we met the pilgrims coming from Ferrol in Bruma, and then there were small but reliable numbers. You'll meet others in albergues, but compared to the Frances it's MUCH less crowded.
And FWIW, I'm a 60+ YO female and never felt the least uncomfortable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from A Coruna in early July. There were few others until we met the pilgrims coming from Ferrol in Bruma, and then there were small but reliable numbers. You'll meet others in albergues, but compared to the Frances it's MUCH less crowded.
And FWIW, I'm a 60+ YO female and never felt the least uncomfortable.

Hi VNwalking,
Thank you for your comments.
I walked the Portuguese comino in 2016 from Tui and it was much quieter then Frances, but a fair amount of pilgrims.
I will be happy if it is like that!!

I will be happy if it is like that!!
I haven't walked the Portugues, but given pilgrim arrival numbers, I would guess the Ingles has many fewer pilgrims. Hopefully others who have recenty walked both can give you a more accurate sense of that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I haven't walked the Portugues, but given pilgrim arrival numbers, I would guess the Ingles has many fewer pilgrims. Hopefully others who have recenty walked both can give you a more accurate sense of that.
I get the sense is a quieter Camino.
Hopefully a soulful for me.. and looking to share the journey with others.
I would welcome any advice or comment

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked it in late September a very easy route, not to busy, also found it very safe from my perspective. Not a bad thing to be apprehensive be alert and on your toes. But nothing to worry about, fear stops us doing things so feel it but don’t let it cripple you. I really enjoyed this route climate and landscape was lovely.

Hi Dean
Thank you for your encouraging comments , yes I guess it transpires that I am a little fearful..
But I don't give up.. I had hoped to hear from some more pilgrim to reassure me from my uncertainties.
I have just finished a walk today of 23km..
Testing myself to prepare for the longest walk..
I am more and more focusing on my preparation..
And just the thought of going it makes me smile
All the time

Walked Ingles two years ago.
Loved the Albergue in Neda and the little restaurant on the main road above the Albergue.

The Albergue in Pontedeume is not the best. So stayed in small and nice Hotel Louis in Pontedeume. Good price for room. Great food there! Owners are wonderful.

Albergue in Presedo is nice. Slept outside in my hammock in the back yard. If you can, walk down the road to the restaurant. The artist, who owns the place, is wonderful. Plus nice seeing his art work.
Good for breakfast in the morning. The pick up the Camino which is directly in back of the place.

Albergue in in Betanzos is nice. Has washer and dryers.

Albergue in Bruma is interesting.

Walk few kms from Sigueiro, through the trees, gave me the creeps for some reason. Long dirt road.
But was ok.
That was the only time on any of my Caminos that I really wished I had another walker with me.

Stayed in private place in Sigueiro. Found it by asking people on the street. Woman who owns it did clothes. She has dorm rooms x 2 and single room(s).
If wanted, could look up the name of this place. Clean. It is a former home/apartment. The woman who lives there is a God send.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi martyseville,
Thank you for your detailed information. . Appreciated.

I love the Ingles and have walked it lots of times. The route before Sigueiro no longer goes through the trees but follows a track by the side of the road. Waymarking was excellent and I think it's still being improved.

Hi Madrid 21,
I am so pleased of your comment!
Yes, I am aware that the route has had recent changes, not sure we're though
Nice to hear about sigueiro, much easier I guess.
Thank you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
saw very few people on the Ingles when I walked, but it did not feel unsafe. Also, did not have any angry dog moments of dogs running after you as you walk past country farms / houses.

It is good you are breaking the first stage up and staying overnight at Neda. The walk from Ferrol to Pontedeume is too long for a first day, and I suffered on the next to Betanzos.

If you have extra days, I would not stop two nights in Betanzos, but break the Pontedeume to Betanzos stage up into two and stay overnight in Mino. Lovely seaside town.

Now that they have taken the big hill out of the route to Hospital de Bruma out, the stage from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma is not as fearsome.

The Alberge Camino Real in Sigueiro is clean and has private rooms

Hi Peb,
Thank you so much for your post! It is
Really making me feel reassured.
i have made my arrengments for the overnite stay,
As I have a short timeframe.
Still I will certainly enjoy walking through it.
Is the beach accessible??
I always love to put my toes in the water

Priaia Grande de Mino is a lovely white sand beach with dunes and the bay is sheltered there, so the waves are not big. You would not think that you were in Galicia.

The problem is the Ingles walks through the main street of Mino town and then out and the beach area is over a kilometre to the North. You would not know that you were in a seaside town unless you researched beforehand. You only see the sea when you climb up over the bridge over the railway and then you are on the cliffs, not the beach. That is why, if you have time, stop overnight at Mino. Pontedeume to Mino is a half day walk allowing you to walk to the sea, and swim in the afternoon. Then you can make a half day walk onto Betanzos to have proper time to explore this old city. If you walk, Pontedeume to Betanzos, this is a 7 hour walk minimum, and you have little time to stop and linger on the way.

Cabanas, the town the other side of the river to Pontedeume, also has a sandy beach backed by pine trees. It is not as picturesque as Mino, but like Mino, Cabanas is a holiday town in its own right, noting the shops on the main street selling inflatables, etc. Again, the problem is the Ingles has been rerouted at Vilar de Colo, so that instead of walking down to the beach at Cabanas and then along, the waymarks keep you inland and you come down the hill at Cabanas away from the beach, and again, unless you knew you would not know you were there. Once you have crossed the bridge to Pontedeume, you are tired and reluctant to walk back 1.5 km to Cabanas beach.

If you only have time to dip your toes in the water, en route, South of Mino, the Ingles does run next to a small beach at A Ponte do Porco where the river runs out to the sea. It is less swimmable there, but worth taking your shoes off and walking on the sand, and dipping your toes in the sea.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Peb,
You are a source of really wanderful information.
I wish I had known before, as I have sorted my overnite stays already
Thank you for thinking of my toes dipping...I will do what I can... Following your suggestions..
Were you referring to the changes on the route that are included in the Jonnie walker guide perhaps?
I am planning to follow that one!

The changes where the Ingles does not walk from Vilar de Colo down to the beach at Cabanas, but through the countryside are per the waymarks and are per the new CSJ guide. You come out on the main street close to the bridge over the river and without knowing, would not see the beach. You come down quite a steep hill at the end, which is not kind on old knees.

One advantage of this new route is that you pass the Concello de Cabanas where you can pop in and obtain a stamp.

Hi Peb,
I have an idea now, that the new route has taken out the closeness of the beaches...still worth knowing about the concello De cabana to get the sello!! Thank you again for your valuable information.i am sure other would like it too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The chiringuito on the beach at Cabañas was recently featured on tv ... posting the link below to give an idea of what awaits just 1.5 km off the new route!

This is from Facebook, hopefully the link works! I wish I had known about this place when I walked through Cabañas ... I just kept going to get to Pontedeume.

Thank you for mentioning that, @Pelegrin . I guess I thought sometime the "ñ" just wasn't used, I didn't realize that was the Galego version. I always try to use the Galician place names (firmly in camp Sanxenxo!), so thanks again for clarifying!

€46,-
Thank you for mentioning that, @Pelegrin . I guess I thought sometime the "ñ" just wasn't used, I didn't realize that was the Galego version. I always try to use the Galician place names (firmly in camp Sanxenxo!), so thanks again for clarifying!

In this case Cabanas and Cabañas have the same meaning Cottages. But in many others the 'translation' into Spanish changed completely the original. It is famous Niño da Aguia (Eagle's Nest) that in Franco's times was called Niño de la Guía that in Spanish means Boy of the Guide.

Hi I walked the Camino Ingles in June. I am 56 solo woman walker and had no problems. I never felt unsafe at all, met lots of people, groups, couples and walked with other solo men and women. I stayed in small hotels, casa rurales and hostals as i like having my own space at night. I carried my 24L Osprey Sirrus and had plenty of space for anything I needed. The Camino Ingles was my first Camino and I did enjoy it however there is a lot of road walking and it felt a little too suburban for me. When I arrived in Santiago, I had arranged to stay two nights and was delighted that I did as I really LOVED Santiago. Then I walked to Finesterre, Lira and finished in Muxia. I really loved this camino to the Costa del Morte; a very special morning leaving Santiago, into the countryside so quickly and looking back at the spires of the Cathedral. Again on this Camino, I felt very safe as a solo woman, didn't meet as many people but there was always someone to talk to if you wished to. I was really pleased with almost all of the accommodation I stayed in and can post details if anybody else wants them.

Hi I walked the Camino Ingles in June. I am 56 solo woman walker and had no problems. I never felt unsafe at all, met lots of people, groups, couples and walked with other solo men and women. I stayed in small hotels, casa rurales and hostals as i like having my own space at night. I carried my 24L Osprey Sirrus and had plenty of space for anything I needed. The Camino Ingles was my first Camino and I did enjoy it however there is a lot of road walking and it felt a little too suburban for me. When I arrived in Santiago, I had arranged to stay two nights and was delighted that I did as I really LOVED Santiago. Then I walked to Finesterre, Lira and finished in Muxia. I really loved this camino to the Costa del Morte; a very special morning leaving Santiago, into the countryside so quickly and looking back at the spires of the Cathedral. Again on this Camino, I felt very safe as a solo woman, didn't meet as many people but there was always someone to talk to if you wished to. I was really pleased with almost all of the accommodation I stayed in and can post details if anybody else wants them.

Thanks for the report! I would be very interested to hear about your accommodations on the Ingles.

€46,-
Hi Rebecca,
Thank you for your post, as I am planning a post camino few days I was actually interested to hear more on the finisterre camino...as you have done it . Maybe I could continue to Finesterre too..☺

Hi I am going to walk the camino ingles beginning of September. How safe is it and busy is it? I am not looking forward to the masses of the Frances, but I would like to find other pilgrims on the way.. any advice?
My Wife and I will be walking this route starting Sept 7 or 8. I believe its safe and not to busy. buen camino

Walked it alone on April as 64 year old woman, I reckon you can be safe or not anywhere, just do the things you want to do when you can. I felt safe. If you're on your own I don't think you should just hope you're going to meet other people, as you may not, more likely to if you stay in hostels .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back